Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Cannot Refresh Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Refresh Data

I am evaluating the product for use with QB Enterprise 8.0, and I have not been able to 'refresh' (upload) my QB data to QReportBuilder. The first time I tried to synch, it went through about 55 of my 135 tables. When it stalled out, none were refreshed successfully. Now, I cannot even refresh tables one at a time. The program keeps stalling out (Not Responding) immediately upon the commencement of the refresh. Can anyone offer any help?

Re: Cannot Refresh Data

Originally posted by gklebon View Post
    I am evaluating the product for use with QB Enterprise 8.0, and I have not been able to 'refresh' (upload) my QB data to QReportBuilder. The first time I tried to synch, it went through about 55 of my 135 tables. When it stalled out, none were refreshed successfully. Now, I cannot even refresh tables one at a time. The program keeps stalling out (Not Responding) immediately upon the commencement of the refresh. Can anyone offer any help?
    Greg

Welcome to the messageboard and the QReportBuilder world.

Sorry to hear the refresh is causing an issue.

It sounds like you had some tables refresh, but then it stopped. Did you stop the process or did it die on it's own?

There can be a couple of things to look at.

1. Did you turn on the QODBC driver status panels? If so, you need to use the QRB action scripting option to refresh the tables silently. The QODBC driver status panels will continue to show and the data will refresh. (It's a bug that will be fixed in a future release)

2. The QODBC optimizer file can (but usually not) get corrupted in an abnormal shutdown. Go to the directory with the <yourcompanyfile>.opt and delete that file. Then run the refresh again.
    The file is located in the hidden directory - mydocuments\<username>\application data\QODBC Driver for QuickBooks\Optimizer

3. Check the named datasource and see if something has changed..

4. Let me know if that doesn't fix it. There may be other things to look at.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hello,

This is the first time that I have ever used this kind of tool, so if I am not observing the etiquette, please let me know.

I am responding to this message because I have encountered the same issue in evaluating QReportBuilder-complete hangup on initial refresh.

I have read Al's response and I can't even understand it. So, I'm thinking that QReportBuilder is not for non-technical people like me.

I would appreciate any response that can give me a sense of whether or not it makes sense for me to continue to spend time struggling with this program.

Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth C View Post
        Hello,

This is the first time that I have ever used this kind of tool, so if I am not observing the etiquette, please let me know.

I am responding to this message because I have encountered the same issue in evaluating QReportBuilder-complete hangup on initial refresh.

I have read Al's response and I can't even understand it. So, I'm thinking that QReportBuilder is not for non-technical people like me.

I would appreciate any response that can give me a sense of whether or not it makes sense for me to continue to spend time struggling with this program.

Many thanks!
        Ruth

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry that I presented a technical answer to the refresh question. It's not a normal situation to have a problem with the refresh and requires a look at some of the technical aspects of the program.

May I suggest that you join us on Thursday morning at 10 am EST for our weekly webinar?

You may also want to review the tutorials that are on the QReportBuilder web site.

I hope to hear from you during the webinar. This week the webinar will be run by someone else and they won't be as technical... ;)
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for your helpful response, Al.

I did the non-tech thing and reinstalled the program and it worked!

I cannot get the connection to QBOE to work and I did find another message on this subject which was responded to by Mark K of FLEXquarters. So, I have sent an email to him for the solution to that.

If I can fit the webinars into my schedule, I certainly will.

Thanks again.

Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth C View Post
            I did the non-tech thing and reinstalled the program and it worked!

I cannot get the connection to QBOE to work and I did find another message on this subject which was responded to by Mark K of FLEXquarters. So, I have sent an email to him for the solution to that.
            Ruth

Glad to hear that a re-install helped.

I had forgotten another approach. Create a new project and try it there. That will clean up some of the issues that can occur.

The QuickBook Online Edition (QBOE) has presented it's own unique problems. QuickBooks has been correcting those problems and their solutions have required changes in the QODBC driver that we have worked at keeping up to date with.

Mark should be able to provide a patch to the QODBC driver that will work with QBOE lastest issues.

In the meantime, you can continue to work with QReportBuilder's default data or work with another edition of QuickBooks to learn more. QuickBooks SimpleStart is a good option unless you already have another edition....
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Albert Einstein

Comment

I tried Al's suggestion of deleting the .opt files, but that didn't work. I have created new projects, and that didn't work either - the program immediately locks up as soon as the refresh begins. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling the program and see if I have any luck. I haven't tried #1 or #3 of Al's response to my post as I don't fully understand what he wants me to do. Thanks for the help, and if Al can clarify #1 or #3 briefly, I will give that a try.

Comment

Hi Greg,
                I'll answer in Al's absence.

1. Did you turn on the QODBC driver status panels? If so, you need to use the QRB action scripting option to refresh the tables silently. The QODBC driver status panels will continue to show and the data will refresh. (It's a bug that will be fixed in a future release)
                To create a script do the following:
                A.In the QRB (QReportBuilder) screen choose the "Scripts and functions" in the Design area and expand it by clicking on the "+".
                B.Choose "Create a new script"
                C.Choose the "Use Action Scripting" radio button
                D.Click on the "Add New Action" on the left side of the screen.
                E.On the left part of the split-screen that appears choose "Database Utilities"
                F.Now on the right side choose "Refresh Passive-Link Table(s)--press OK or doubleclick.
                G.You are given the choice of refreshing all tables or selected ones. Also uncheck the checkbox for the "Prompt for Confirmation...." and check the "Run Silently" checkbox.
                H.Press next, ok and so forth, press the save icon on the upper menu-then name the script whatever you want.
                I.Close out the script editor.
                J.Now on the QRB screen choose "Run a script" from the Design area of the menu and choose the script you just created.

It should refresh all or however many table you told it to do...be forewarned that refreshing all the tables can take quite some time...sometimes letting it run at night is the best option when it does need to be done (which normally is not that often--only when QuickBooks' data has changed).

3. Check the named datasource and see if something has changed.
                On the QRB screen look at the top Data section and expand the "more options..." . Choose "Manage Connection Strings". If you have not defined a specific string then there should be just a "." for where the string says Filename='.' . This brings up the currently open Quickbooks file. If it does not have this and you do not want a specific company file to be defined here then change it to the period '.' with single quotes.

Let me know if further help is needed.
                Mike

Comment

I ran the update as per the most recent post, and it seemed to work for the most part. However, now when restarting the QReportBuilder Program, I get an error message (see screenshot). Also, the program doesn't start up and times out.

Comment

Hi Greg,
                    First thing I'd try is a simple reboot of the PC. I have several programs I use that will occasionally stop responding correctly or just act strange at times. Most times the few small glitches are fixed with a reboot.
                    Mike

Comment

MikeC. Thanks for the procedure. It worked. I had the same problem and your procedure worked. Thanks brother.

Comment

Al,

I've been looking at these Quickbooks threads because I'm preparing to investigate building an app that integrates Quickbooks data. I did a quick experiment with my own Quickbooks file, and I went as far as creating an active link to the file and pulling in a few fields from one of the tables. I was surprised how easy this was to do, especially since it did not ask for a QODBC driver. I'm wondering, therefore, whether the driver is already built in to A5V9, or is it aware that I once, maybe a year ago, had purchased and installed the QODBC driver on my computer and it was recognizing this. Basically, I'm asking if you need to buy the QODBC driver separately or is it already part of V9?

Second, I am aware of, but not familiar with, QreportBuilder. I assume it is an A5 app developed for the purpose of building reports based on Quickbooks data. Is it really needed if you can just put a report together in Alpha Five using active linked Quickbooks table(s)? Is there any other reason to use QreportBuilder?

Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Fried View Post
                          I'm wondering, therefore, whether the driver is already built in to A5V9, or is it aware that I once, maybe a year ago, had purchased and installed the QODBC driver on my computer and it was recognizing this. Basically, I'm asking if you need to buy the QODBC driver separately or is it already part of V9?
                          Jeff - Nice to hear from you.

QODBC is a necessary component. When you built your active link table you used QODBC whether you noticed it or not. When you picked a connection to QuickBooks Data, the connection is there because of QODBC.

Originally posted by Jeff Fried View Post
                          Second, I am aware of, but not familiar with, QreportBuilder. I assume it is an A5 app developed for the purpose of building reports based on Quickbooks data. Is it really needed if you can just put a report together in Alpha Five using active linked Quickbooks table(s)? Is there any other reason to use QreportBuilder?
                          You are correct. QReportBuilder is an application built with A5 and QODBC to provide a reporting tool for QuickBooks users.

Besides having the standard A5 functions, it has the knowledge of the linkages in QuickBooks and provides those to the report writer. So when you link one table to another, the linkage is automatically filled in.

There is a feature to export/import a report definition to share between various projects of QReportBuilder.

QReportBuilder also has come additional features that are listed here.

Whether you want to use active linked or passive linked tables may depend on the usage of the table. A more interactive table may need an active link, while a report may work better with a passive linked table.

My concern is the performance of each, so your mileage may vary from table to table and from instance to instance. Since I don't have facts to back my ideas (to this point), I'm describing my hunches to you.

So there are features to QReportBuilder beyond what Alpha 5 and QODBC provide. Whether they are needed by an Alpha 5 developer will depend on their level of expertise with QuickBooks and understanding the interface Alpha 5 - QODBC - QuickBooks. Personally I think a starting template will benefit most.

Hope that helps. Keep in touch as new features and functions become available.
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                          X