Alpha Video Training

Thread: Printed data changes 'randomly'

Real Name
    Wes Jones

Default Printed data changes 'randomly'

Hi -

Working with trial, and it is beginning to be one... First question is how stable is QBR? I ask because I get some odd results when I change layout details - i.e.,
    I have an Open PO by Vendor report; I change the vendor |report|properties|band|group to 'start a new group on each page' and it doesn't work..(no page break between vendors) - I add 'keep group together on page'; now it works, but the 'vendor' header that used to repeat at the top of each page now skips pages...

What's more, now the last vendor doesn't show up on the printout at all... (a selected set of vendors is specified in the filter)

Idiosyncrasies are a part of any program, but these are pretty frustrating - I am hoping I am missing something simple..

Any response appreciated

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: Printed data changes 'randomly'

Wes

Welcome to the QRB messageboard.

Working with a QB report as the input to your report should be working fine...

I use that approach often.

I usually try to make small steps and preview to see the change rather than make multiple steps and try to figure out what happened. A little experience and then it's second nature.

You may want to look at the settings for the group. Change the sort options and see if the results are more what you are looking for.

Besides the tutorials, you can visit our Thursday morning webinar (10 am EST) where you can gain much more insight into the system and how to use it. I look forward to seeing you on Thursday - Hope it fits your schedule.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Wes Jones

Hi Al -
    Thanks for the reply. Actually this is not a canned QB report, it is an 'Open Purchase order Detail for Selected Vendors' I created from scratch, and is just a little different than what they could get from QB.

The thing is that it was working fine until it was requested that each vendor print on its own page(s) - i.e., a new vendor starts a new page.

Then my header for that group decided to only print on certain (apparently random) pages, and even the header that should print on the break, signifying the start of a new vendor, did not always print.

I thought it was dropping the last vendor, but it is printing it (that vendor only has one PO open) at the end of vendor before it, without a page break or a header...

Changing it back alleviates the problem - ?

Thanks!
    Wes Jones

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Either export the report definition and send it to me, or we can look at it during the webinar.

You do need to be careful with the length of your combined sort. If the total of all fields that are being sorted exceeds 240 characters some strange things happen and aren't always identified by an error message box.

And QuickBooks is famous for long fields......

So you may need to have a sort like

name + item

be expression like this

alltrim(name)+" "+alltrim(item)

We can talk about that at the webinar too...
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Wes Jones

Thanks, Al

I will definitely send the report file, but your note about field lengths may be the key - undefined results sounds like the area I am in.

For Instance: I found that when I specify a new page for each group, for any midpage vendor change, the remainder of that page is not moved to the next page - it is just 'dropped' - just not printed. The following page has the same PO's on it whether there is a page break or not...

My filter section is quite long, that may be a problem - and there is probably a better way of selecting vendors - possibly even at runtime, I just haven't gotten that far.

Wes