Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Update embedded browse field from called form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update embedded browse field from called form

Am trying to update an embedded browse field that is a quasi running balance. Have a button in the browse that calls the update form. From that form, am using AS that I've converted to inline xbasic so I can debug, to "Set field values". Have the code on the "Save / Close" button on the form after the form is saved. Here is the code.
    Code:
    'Set 'Value' property of 'Browse1:Bank_bal' in Form 'annual_plan_form' .
    DIM form_name as c
    if is_object(topparent.this) then 
    	form_name = topparent.name()+".this"
    else
    	form_name = ""
    end if 

DIM window_name as C
    window_name = ":"+"annual_plan_form"
    DIM varP_Object as p
    'Get a pointer to the specified window
    varP_Object = obj(window_name)
    'Check if the specified window exists
    if .not. is_object(varP_Object) then 
    	ui_msg_box("Error","The window '"+window_name+"' does not exist.",ui_stop_symbol)
    else
    	DELETE expression_result
    debug(1)
    	expression_result =  eval("Annual_Plan->Bank_Bal+Inc_totals->Ap_Actual-Annual_Plan->Exp_Actual",form_name)
    	varP_Object:Browse1:Bank_bal.value = expression_result  [COLOR="Red"]<< browse field not getting set[/COLOR]	    
    end if
    debug(0)
    The expression result is getting computed correctly, but the assignment doesn't get done for some reason. Maybe this isn't possible. Have attached a zip of the database. Open the annual_plan_form and click on the Edit button next to Inc. Actual in the browse to bring up the form. Then click the Save / Close button on the form to run the code which I've left in debug mode. Hope someone can steer me down the right path..
    Thanks.
    Ernie

Re: Update embedded browse field from called form

Placed a variable on the form that has the embedded browse and it gets the update properly. So evidently you can reference a field in a browse from another form, but not update it. Is this really the case, or just nobody knows the answer?

Comment

Ernie, I took a look. Followed your instructions. Discovered you left some steps out. You didn't tell us what edits to make.

If I change the Monthly Plan amount and press the Save/Close button on the called form it works fine.

If I click the edit button in the browse on the called form, it opens a 3rd form. If I change the actual income there, click save, then click save/close on the 2nd form, it works fine.

What am I missing?

More detailed instructions will permit us to follow the same sequence you're taking. Otherwise we're left to guess... and may wind up using a different sequence than you need tohave tested or checked.

Comment

Tom,
        Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but the Bank Bal. column in the browse doesn't get updated for me.
        Code:
        varP_Object:Browse1:Bank_bal.value = expression_result  << browse field not getting set
        Open the bankbal_form to see the current balance that is updated thru posting rules in Inc_totals table. Rather than just have the current balance reflected in the browse, I'd like to have each row in the browse reflect that rows result, i.e. a quasi-running balance. So in the example, you don't have to make any edits, just open the edit form and press the Save / Close button to try to update the Bank Bal. field in the browse (Should be the same as what is in the bank_bal table, 11,000 vs. 10,000 since the row shows 1,000 of Inc. Actual and initial balance was 10,000).
        I've actually gotten it to compute a running balance by using a calculated field in field rules. However, couldn't find a way to get the initial balance in there without using the Inc. Actual field to do it. So the first record entered into the table would not compute correctly . What started it all was trying to get the initial balance set. Refer to this post: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=75651
        So was hoping to just update it from the edit form, but don't think that is going to be possible.
        Thanks for trying to help.
        Ernie

Comment

Ok, that helped.

Check the properties you've set for the browse object you're trying to update. You've restricted the browse against changes. Alpha is blocking the change to the bank_bal column because you told it to.

If you don't want the user to be able to change column values, change your script so that it:

a) releases the restriction against changes
          b) assigns the computed balance figure to the column
          c) commits the record
          d) restores the restriction against changes

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
            Thank you so much! I didn't realize having the no change property set on the Browse would not allow that to happen. Learning something every minute.
            Thanks again.
            Ernie

Comment

Ernie,

your script tries to assign a value to the object on the form. This mimics the behavior you'd expect to see if the user was trying to "type" a value into the object from the keyboard. The properties of the object (restrict change) will apply because of this.

Your script could have used other xbasic commands to assign a value to a specific field in the table supporting the form. i.e. using a pointer to the table (not the object on the form). If you had taken that approach the restrictions in the form objects wouldn't apply, since your script would be "talking" directly to the table.

Can you see the difference? In one approach you talk to the table "through" the objects on the form. In the other you talk directly to the table, without using any objects on the form.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
                Actually, I had tried something along those lines but kept getting some kind of error about table restrictions, so didn't pursue it much. Now I realize I didn't even have my code set to work on the current record anyway.
                I do see what you're saying, though, and it does make sense. I usually have the browse property set to restrict enter and change rather than going thru and making each column "Read-Only". Thanks again for the help in understanding the possible consequences of doing it this way.
                Ernie

Comment

Working...
                X