Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

'Group by' for web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Group by' for web

I tried to create a report for our schedule but there are too many fields so I get an error.

I've set up a grid that has all of the fields but I need to group by date and sum the qty for each date in the grid.

Is that doable?
    Up and coming Alphaholic ;)

Re: 'Group by' for web

no joy on this?

Any advice on how I should proceed? I'm sure somebody has come across the same problem with reports not allowing all of the fields you need.

Comment

Well, you've mixed the terms "report" and "grid" in a way that might have some of us confused as to exactly what problem you're having.

Let's start by clarifying:

Are you having problems with a grid or a report?

I suspect that whatever problem you're having, a report is what you want. In which case, have you looked at using Grouping in reports?

You need to be more specific. You say you get "an error." Well, what error would that be?

Step back a bit, consider to yourself that we're not you, and re-read your messages. Then see if you think we understand what you want. I don't, and apparently others don't either.

Try again though - we welcome you here and want to help.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Okay. You are right. After reading it, I see what you mean.

I tried to create a report for our weekly schedule. The schedule has over 20fields that have to show up (some are only 1-5 characters). When I added the fields using the report wizard, I got an error saying there were too many fields.

I went to the web components (the system will be a web app) and designed the attached grid with no issues, but I don't have the ability to group by 'Drop Date' and then sum the 'Qty' field for each day that I can see.

My question was if there is a way to accomplish this in the grid (group and sum) since I need too many fields to build a report.

I obviously would prefer doing a report, but at this point I am unable to accomplish my goal with either scenario.

Comment

I tried to create a report for our weekly schedule. The schedule has over 20fields that have to show up (some are only 1-5 characters). When I added the fields using the report wizard, I got an error saying there were too many fields.

Hi Elena,

This is not difficult to do in a report. I suspect that you highlighted all 20 fields and tried to drag them all at once to the report layout. Instead of that, grab a few and then resize them to the size you need (like the nice precise spacing you did on the grid), and then drag the next few onto your layout, resize, etc. When you drag all 20 at once, you will get an error message that says something like some of the fields were off the page. Do as I described, and you will have no problem.

Gary
          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I'll suggest you learn more about building a report. The message you got when you used the report genie was that there were too many fields to fit on the page. But that's just the genie trying to line up 20 fields side-by-side and running out of room on the page.

If you work with the report editor some more, you'll quickly discover lots of ways to add fields to your report and make everything fit. And for the groupings you want, see how to add groups to reports, and you'll get what you want.

It'lll probably take you a while to learn, but the once you get more familiar with the report editor, you'll be able to produce the stuff you need a little easier every time. A skilled person could probably build your report in 15 to 20 minutes.

As for the grid and grouping, it can be done, but the job is much more challenging, and the results aren't nearly what you're going to be able to achieve with the report.

So, open the report editor, get familiar with the drag/drop list, and learn about grouping.
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Also to group by date, you can do this in several ways. One easy way would be to right click on the "detail" section of your layout, and select "Insert Group", and tell it to break on changes in "Date".

Put the date in the header of the group, and then create acalculated field in the footer of that group that gives the total(field) of whatever field you want to total.

Gary
              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I'm taking the 6 hour training on Wed which will be a major help.

I have done the report with grouping and sum. It works fine except for the fact I wasn't able to pull in all the fields I needed.

I'll do some more research on the reports because I am going to need a lot of them...

Thanks again!

Comment

You know what? I see what the problem is.

I started looking up information on drag and drop and noticed that I should have a toolbar that doesn't exist. I was wondering why it was so difficult to manipulate the reports except with quick report.

I can't find View > Drag-Drop either. When I create a blank report no toolbars are present at all. I can't add any fields, manipulate size, sum, etc

Comment

In the Report editor, the toolbar at the top, just below the menu: the Toolbox icon and the DragDrop icon are about 10 or 11 in from the right. Click on each of these to open those windows - very useful - here is where you can drag and drop fields from, and the toolbox offers a very useful array of tools for report design.

Gary
                    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Wow, I was so naive when I first wrote this. I believe it was one of my first....

I am trying to find out whether you can create a group by on a grid component though.

I'd like to group by drop date and then subtotal the qty for the drop date. I've already set up the pdf report for it, but I'd love to see it on screen as well.

Comment

You could toggle your PDF report to be an HTML report and it will appear "on the screen".

You cannot group in a grid. You could fashion your own grid using a series of table.external_record_content_get()'s within a loop, something like this:

dim lst as c
                        dim biglst as c

groups = word_unique(table.external_record_content_get("[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\mytable","myGroupValue","myGroupValue"),crlf())

for each foo in groups
                        lst = table.external_record_content_get("[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\mytable","myGroupValue","myGroupValue","myKeyField = "+foo.value)
                        lst = lst + 'use tablesum() or some other function to get the total for that group
                        biglst = biglst + lst
                        next

?biglst

That will get the unique groups, and then loop through each getting the full list that matches that group, plus the subtotal for that group. The contents will be stored in 'lst" for each round, and appended to biglst for all groups. Then ?biglst just displays the result on the screen.

That is the big picture. You have to include lots of HTML like <table> and other tags to form your table to display the results properly. Basically this is the process when someone describes "hand coding a grid".
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                        X