Alpha Video Training

Thread: Connect to QBOE

Real Name
    Ruth Courtnell

Default Connect to QBOE

Below please find my post and a response from a related forum. I have been told by Mark of FLEXquarters that the ability of QReportBuilder to successfully work with QuickBooks online edition is in the works. I was hoping that this beta version would work, but it seems not quite.

"I have installed the qodbcup.exe and can actually connect to QBOE from QReportBuilder for the first time in the evaluation version.

However, on the initial refresh data attempt this error appears:

In a5_qrb_generic Function []:Unexpected error in function Generate Native Syntax

I am not a developer, but just a person trying to evaluate QReportBuilder with a connection to the online edition of QB. I hope that my feedback is useful and that I am not in the wrong place to find/send this information. Thanks."

Reply:
    "Thanks for the info. The error appears to be from QReportBuilder and not QODBC, please post your findings in the QReportBuilder Forum found at: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...splay.php?f=59"

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: Connect to QBOE

if you edit your connection string to include the keyword A5Syntax and a value of QuickBooks you should be able to work past the error.

{A5API=QuickBooksOnline,A5Syntax=QuickBooks,…}

Let us know if that fixes it

Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Ruth Courtnell

Okay, I did that.

{A5API=QuickBooksOnline,A5Syntax=QuickBooks,A5ConnectionKey='********',A5LoginKey='********',A5Prompt=No}

test connection=success

When attempting Refresh Data--the old error did not appear. The refresh failed with this error message:

Could not create ResultSet from DataSource definition. Could not connect to database. Error reported was: Internal error-Can't find named connection 'QuickBooks_CurrentlyOpenFile'-while converting named connection to connection string.

If you have a solution, please remember that I am only typing characters here and do not have any understanding of the meaning. So--be explicit. Many thanks.
    Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 10-17-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: remove sensitive info

Real Name
    Ruth Courtnell

Update:

I just realized that the program needs to see the connection name as Quickbooks_Currently Open File regardless. So, I renamed my connection to this name and the query seems to be executing!! It's a long process I know, so I will report later on the success/failure.

I really am looking forward to evaluating this program at last. Thanks!

Real Name
    Ruth Courtnell

Update:

The "refresh all" mostly failed. I tried one failed table as a test to see what the message might be and here it is:

Your database has returned the following error code and description to Alpha Five.

11025-'[QODBC] Invalid table name: Deposit SQL state is: 42500'

I know just enought about databases to know that if the query doesn't correctly name the table, nothing happens. So, is it the case that the queries are designed on table names that correspond to QB desktop editions and that QBOE does not use the same table names? If so, it seems that this is close to a dead end. Or...?

Real Name
    Ruth Courtnell

Final update:

I figured out through a QODBC query in Excel what the available tables actually were on my QBOE database. 40 of them. So I unlinked all the tables in QReportBuilder with no match in QBOE and voila!--100% refresh.

Now I think that I can actually evaluate the program with the data that is/will be available to me.

Whew!!

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Ruth

Excellent work....!!

I was working on loading up the QBOE to test it and decided to look at the messageboard and found your responses...

Not too many people are using the QBOE... yet.... let alone trying to get custom reports.

Thanks again for your valuable contribution to the messageboard.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Ruth Courtnell

Al and all,

Thanks for the kind words! I am interested to see what can be accomplished with this program. The reporting in QBOE is quite limited or preformatted, if you prefer. I am accustomed to the flexibility in the desktop versions. And I work with small non-profits which need specific detailed reports. So, I will see if this program can pick up the slack.

Ruth