Alpha Video Training

Thread: How to take data from computer with A5V4.01 to a computer with A5V5.0

Real Name
    Robin Wexell

Default How to take data from computer with A5V4.01 to a computer with A5V5.0

I have 2 computers right now, one has A5V4.01 and the other one has A5V5. I will be getting a new computer and need to consolidate the other two to the newer A5V5 version. How do I do this?

Real Name
    Doug Page

Default Re: How to take data from computer with A5V4.01 to a computer with A5V5.0

Alpha 5 v5 is actually very old now and no longer sold. Have you tried downloading the demo of v9 and see if your apps work with it. If I remember correctly, there were some hiccups moving from v4 to v5 but it seems that you are already running v5 so things should be OK. At least you can try for free and see how it goes. BUT ONLY DO THIS WITH A SEPARATE COPY OF YOUR APP AND DATA!!!!!!! I do believe that if you open up forms in v8 or v9 they might not run again in v5.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Default Re: How to take data from computer with A5V4.01 to a computer with A5V5.0

Just install A5v5 on the new computer.

Hopefully you have your data in a separate directory. If so, just copy that directory to the new computer, run A5, and navigate to open the database.

When there has been a compatability issue between version, it is a backward compatability issue. If Doug recalls a problem, that may have been when menu structures were changed. If so, in A5v5 you will get a message that the menus are in the old format and do you want to convert them. If you say Yes, which you probably want to do, then A5v4 can no longer display the menus. But you will not care about that. Besides, you have your backup. :)

The newer versions of Alpha do have a lot more features, but that depends on your needs.

Bill.