Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha 5 and the World Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha 5 and the World Economy

I would like to say that the A5 team have put out some really great offers recently for the purchase of Alpha bundles. I have bought some of the products over time which includes A5 V8 Enterprise and Runtime x3, V9 Platinum, V8 and 9 App Server and also the books from Intellectual Business Solutions and also several from Susan Bush.

With the state of the world economy at the moment I have found that here in Australia the prices have gone beyond my reach e.g. latest offer of A5 Platinum and Unlimited Distribution License with Susan Bush publications of A5 Made Easy for the Web and Desktop (2 separate books) on offer for $US 699 but here in Australia at todays exchange rate is $1069. As I said previously these are/were good offers especially when our Aussie dollar was about 98.6 cents against the US dollar in July but at the moment not so good for us or probably anyone else outside the US. No doubt sales of US products overseas will suffer as a consequence. I would like to suggest to the Alpha Sales team that sometimes people like myself may have most of their required Alpha software but when these bundles come out I only want one item (e.g. Unlimited Distribution License) and not the other extras but that did not seem to be an option in the promotional document. Just a suggestion to enable a lower price again on an individual item which may make it more affordable in the current financial climate.

What do you think and how has the current financial situation affected you?

Murray

Re: Alpha 5 and the World Economy

Hello Murray,

Try the Rand / Dollar exchange rate. It is almost R9.00 for one dollar. So $699.00 would cost me R6291.00

I am sure the Alpha sales team will accommodate in extreme events.

Regards
    Walter

Comment

On the other hand, you may be pointing out places to which we Americans can travel and not suffer as with the euro exchange rate! :D

Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
        On the other hand, you may be pointing out places to which we Americans can travel and not suffer as with the euro exchange rate! :D

Bill.
        To quote a popular game show.

COME ON DOWN ;)

Maybe that Aussie based Alpha conference is looking more feasable:)
        Tim Kiebert
        Eagle Creek Citrus
        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Murray,

The exchange rate is one problem with the bundle offer but you have to take the good with the bad. Some would say over the last couple of years us non USA residents were benefiting from the exchange rate and now things are getting back to what they were 5 years ago. At least that is the case for USD->GBP.

The problem I have with these bundle offers are that V10 may come out in the next 2-3 months after which V9 will not receive any bug updates ( I have no insider knowledge, 2-3 months is just an example). That was definitely the case with V8 which I think hasn't received an update since last March although myself and others have reported them (mine have been acknowledged as bugs). This is company policy from what I gather and is something that needs to be taken into account when looking at the value of the bundles.

Personally I would like to see them offering bug support for 12 months after the release of a new version. For example V8 would still receive bug support for 12 months after V9 has been released. I know this may not be practical for a company the size of Alpha but still doesn't mean I can't wish for it (maybe I should be putting this in the wish list forum?). Alternatively they could mention in the offers that a new release will not be available for at least 'X' months.

Before I get inundated with posts on what good offers these are I am not disputing it but just bringing to the fore the problem regarding bug support which may be an issue for some.

Oh well that's me done for now.

Comment

Geoff:
            Here are my thoughts on your topic. Since Alpha Software is basically a one product company, their revenue is going to depend on upgrades, rather than initiating new products. This is a slippery slope to venture up, since it is much easier to slide down. Thus, updates must be more appealing for Alpha to continue being a successful and thriving company. Thus, it is in the best interests of Alpha to look forward, rather than backwards.

If Alpha were to create some interesting side products (add-ons) such as a completely finished contact manager that has a cool calendar form or a super web product, again completely built and usable (off the shelf) and sell that as a secondary product, then additional revenue would be forthcoming and your wish might be more reasonable for them to consider. Until then, I can't see Alpha going any other way.
            "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

I fully agree Pete. Alpha also have to understand that by not (bug) supporting the previous version then the more time that passes since the last release the less likely some will buy there deals. That being said I am not sure how many people factor in the lack of bug support when making the decision to buy. When I upgraded from V7 to V8 I did it straight away and benefited from 12 months support although I had to go through the usual influx of patches for the first few months (not a criticism just a fact). I've not really used any other databases so I cannot comment whether it is normal practise not to fix bugs in the previous version. I know it cannot be supported indefinitely but I do feel it should be supported for a period of time after a new release. It is obviously a difficult decision to make as resources are limited, but one would hope that there wouldn't be to many bugs to fix and the time spent fixing them and keeping their current customer base happy worth the effort.

Comment

Working...
              X