Alpha Video Training

Thread: alpha hangs, no obvious reason

"Certified" Alphaholic richard2007's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Harris

Default alpha hangs, no obvious reason

before posting, i have read all of the posts on 'hanging' and looked to see if these could be the cause.

the problem - users opens a form to add a child record. the collection of data is based over 2 seperate forms. form 1 completed, then if all data collected, presses a button to go to form 2, when in form2, users clicks dropdown of first field, this is where alpha freezes.

the form2 only has combos and data entry fields, there is no code on the combos.

both forms are based upon a table and not a set.

there is a lot of code on the button to send the user from form1 to form2, but mainly validating the fields in form1 and setting some values in the fields in form1.

form 2 has no onactivate or oninitiate events other than maximise the screen.

when alpha freezes, the user has no option but to end task. the user then goes directly back to the client, follows the same events and it works fine.

it is obviously something i have done. the program is run over a network in to a server with server2003. all machines are xp pro. this is the only place in the entire program that this happens.

any advice welcome. hope i have provided enough info.

thanks

richard

Real Name
    Rui Carvalho

Default Re: alpha hangs, no obvious reason

Could you upload an example?

"Certified" Alphaholic Scott Emerick's Avatar
    Real Name
    Scott Emerick

Richard,

It is hard to give you a solid answer with out seeing an example, however, here are some things to look for.

If you open form2 with out going through form1, does it hang when you use the combo? If the answer is yes, then your problem is most likely on form2.

If form2 works fine by itself then start looking at the button code that opens form2. Remove(comment out) all the code on the button except for the lines that actually open form2 and see if it hangs. If all is good on form2, start adding your button code back a little at a time until it hangs again. This will narrow it down to where the problem starts.

I noticed that you said you were "setting some values in the fields in form1", are you saving the record after these values are set and before form2 opens?

Sorry I can not give you a more solid answer, but this should help you get a better idea of what might be happening.

Scott

Real Name
    Richard Harris

Hi Scott / Rui,

just preparing a demo now, taking me ages to update the live records to test data.

i will try your idea scott of going to form 2 but not form form 1 and see how that goes.

problem is, it doesnt happen every time.

demo in about 30 mins.

Real Name
    Richard Harris

demo attached

trying other options now, will report back.

user - richard harris
    password - direct

go to contact, open first client nicholas test.

click case overview

click fact find

click recommendations (left hand side)

select 3rd product, mortgage / halifax plc.

click edit prods (pencil, top right of browse)

this takes you to the first of the two forms.

click on create ros, takes you to form 2.

if the error does not duplicate, close and save and then on the recommendations form, add a new product, which must be a mortgage.

Real Name
    Jeff Ryder

Richard,

No demo attached.

Jeff

Real Name
    Richard Harris

now attached, took me ages to get this below 5mb limit.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Richard,
    You gave very good instructions, but........I cannot get the error to occur .....and when creating a new Mortgage, I get to the page to "Create ROS" and a msg_box comes up telling me that not all fields are filled in (and ALL are) and so cannot proceed.

In addition, I do not know exactly what forms I am on and so cannot readily find the forms in the control panel. What is easiest is when actually on the form to be able to go directly into design mode....at least easiest for me to try and see if something is obviously a cause of a problem.

Hopefully someone else can come to your rescue as I have had no luck!! :)
    Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Andrew Schone

I recently investigated a similar situation with one of my databases.

when in form2, users clicks dropdown of first field, this is where alpha freezes.
    In my situation Machine 1 (really a terminal session) would have an Alpha5 lock up. But it was being caused by another Machine (really a terminal session)

What I discovered was that the index for the drop down was being corrupted. The session that was causing the corrupted index was because of a terminal session timeout issue. The Terminal Server session timeouts where too strict and they where terminating idle sessions while people had the database open and in use.

While it may be true in your case that your environment does not totally mimic mine. I however would advise you to research the possibility of index's being part of the problem. Identify where the lookup field index is being used and if other people are using the index at the same time as the lookup being clicked.

While I can offer some guidance, I am afraid that I can not offer a true resolution. For time being we relaxed our Terminal Server rules to allow more idle time at the session. Since doing so we haven't had any phone calls, but only time will tell.

Real Name
    Richard Harris

mike,

sorry, i think the missing field would be interest rates, as they need to be more than 0.0%

in design mode the form is fmortprod or fprodmort, cant remember. this has the button with all of the code to take you to form2.

aws,

there is no index on the combo's, we do run a terminal services and have a few users, but they have not reported the problem. the issues reported are from the local machines which are in the same office as the main server.