Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Report Data Labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report Data Labels

I am selecting several classes from QB for a report, which works fine, but QBR defaults the lables to Amount1, Amount2, etc. (and it can go really high, I have seen all the way up to Amount110) I need to know which class each Amount1, Amount2, etc. is not just a generic label. Thanks.

Re: Report Data Labels

Originally posted by wsrcd View Post
    I am selecting several classes from QB for a report, which works fine, but QBR defaults the lables to Amount1, Amount2, etc. (and it can go really high, I have seen all the way up to Amount110) I need to know which class each Amount1, Amount2, etc. is not just a generic label. Thanks.
    Jessica

How many classes does that company file have in it? Sounds like a lot of them...

I would suggest that you use the QRB option on the report to display the report in QB. (At least temporarily) That will cause the QB report to show along with the QRB report and you'll see the classes that belong to each column.

My guess is that it's an alphabetic list of the classes left to right through the columns. That's what I've normally found.

You may want to filter with the class so you know what class is being display.

I'd also suggest that you stop in on our weekly webinar and let's discuss the options.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I am not given the option to filter by class when I edit the data source. Is there another way?

Comment

Hi,

I have a somewhat similar issue regarding reports the involve classes or jobs, specifically PL reports.

I have over 100 jobs and I'd love to get a PL that has the actual job titles instead of Title_1, Title_2 etc..... Sure I could pull up the quickbooks version of the report, but that won't be a reasonable solution for printing or presenting modifications that I make to the report.

Do you have any suggestions for this dilemma?

Regards.

Comment

Hi Robert,
          By Jobs, I take them to be your Customers ? Or there have been times when Vendors are the Customers...and there are other ways too to have job names--

Be specific.

Regardless, I have a feeling what you wish to accomplish is not very difficult, but also understand that until you do something the first time, it is hard to figure out where to start!

Is there any report that comes close to what you want?...such as Profit and Loss by Job. If so have you tried creating a new report based upon this stock report?

If I know what you want specifically or what you have tried, then most likely I can help. :)
          Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Jobs refer to customer projects. Each customer can have numerous jobs (projects) associated with them. Imagine a consulting company that does numerous jobs for a client or a construction company that does numerous buildings for a client. We need to be able to track the profitability, not so much of the client, but of each of the jobs (projects) that we do for them.

QuickBooks has a report called PL by job which is like a regular PL except that there is a column for each job. Also, when you run this boilerplate in QuickBooks you get the names of each job running across the top of the report. One job per column.

The problem I get is when I create a report in QReportBuilder based on QuickBooks PLbyJob report. Rather than get the names of the jobs running across the top of the report what you get are columns that say Amount_1, Amount_2, Amount_3 and so forth. Each of these report labels refer to a specific job. While I could manually label them in the Report Editor this would be inconvenient for a hundred plus jobs. Ideally, QReportBuilder would be able to obtain the report data labels automagically. Why it doesn't is a little perplexing and I haven't been able to find a solution. Again, if you pull up the corresponding report in QuickBooks you will find that each column is properly labeled with the job name. This problem also affects the report called PL by Class.

So while I could just run these reports out of QuickBooks, my hope was to be able to modify these reports in QReportBuilder to get them in the layout we need.

Let know if you have any thoughts or need more info.

Thank you for your time!

Robert

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
            Hi Robert,
            By Jobs, I take them to be your Customers ? Or there have been times when Vendors are the Customers...and there are other ways too to have job names--

Be specific.

Regardless, I have a feeling what you wish to accomplish is not very difficult, but also understand that until you do something the first time, it is hard to figure out where to start!

Is there any report that comes close to what you want?...such as Profit and Loss by Job. If so have you tried creating a new report based upon this stock report?

If I know what you want specifically or what you have tried, then most likely I can help. :)

Comment

Use this SQL statement. Modify to your heart's content. The key element is the Amount_Title field which will generate a Title for each of the Amount fields....

ie
              Amount_1_Title -- Amount_1Amount_2_Title -- Amount_2 ....
              Code:
              sp_report  ProfitAndLossByJob show Amount_Title, Text, Label, Amount parameters DateMacro =  'ThisYearToDate', SummarizeColumnsBy = 'Customer'
              For some reason, the option to put the Amount_Title didn't make it into the selection box for allowable fields.

You can enter this SQL statement into the Data - more options - link/import external data. Make a new passive linked table there and use that as the basis for your report....
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi, Just a bit too slow on this one--I just found the exact same thing as Al regarding the SQL definition.

sp_report ProfitAndLossByJob show Amount_Title, Amount, Label, Text

Well, at least it's verified. :)
                Mike

Comment

Hi Al,

I was very excited by the information you provided. However, once I started the report, I got a message that I had selected too many fields.

I tried it testing with a few fields and it seems to work! Thank you.

Any idea on how to overcome the field limit? I have over 100 jobs.

Related to this is another question. Depending on the reporting period I select, there will be a variable number of jobs. Can I define a report that can take this into consideration? In some reporting systems, you can define certain fields to be dynamic.

Thank you so much for your help!

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
                  Use this SQL statement. Modify to your heart's content. The key element is the Amount_Title field which will generate a Title for each of the Amount fields....

ie
                  Amount_1_Title -- Amount_1Amount_2_Title -- Amount_2 ....
                  Code:
                  sp_report  ProfitAndLossByJob show Amount_Title, Text, Label, Amount parameters DateMacro =  'ThisYearToDate', SummarizeColumnsBy = 'Customer'
                  For some reason, the option to put the Amount_Title didn't make it into the selection box for allowable fields.

You can enter this SQL statement into the Data - more options - link/import external data. Make a new passive linked table there and use that as the basis for your report....

Comment

Robert,
                    I think you have simply encountered a genie level limitation is all....the genie is used just as a starting off point and cannot possible incorporate unlimited fields. So add a few, then in the report editor use the drag-drop list which will show all the fields that are in the table(s) the report is base on and you can then add whatever will fit on the page (use landscape if more real estate is needed).
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Psyop View Post

Any idea on how to overcome the field limit? I have over 100 jobs.
                      Do less jobs... ???

Having a 100 jobs across a page of paper is going to be a real estate management problem.... or very small type...

Are you going to filter this to a lower number of jobs, or some how make the final report have jobs vertically instead of horizontally?

Is there a better report/table(s) to base this on or do you need to filter by job(s)?
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Al,

Even if I were to reduce the number of jobs, it stills seems odd that I could only select enough fields for about 6 jobs or so. Which is a very small number. Even if I were to filter the jobs by class and reduce the time period to say, a quarter, rather than the entire fiscal year, I'd still have at least ten jobs that I would need to output per class and quarter. For enterprise users of Quickbooks I imagine that others would have many jobs and classes that would exceed this limit.

Regarding your point of making jobs vertical. That would mean, if I'm running a PL report that I would have certainly more than 6 accounts, and more like 50 accounts, as columns. This would result in a similar issue.

Do you happen to know what the hard limit for the number of fields are for QReportBuilder?

Cheers!

Do less jobs... ???

Having a 100 jobs across a page of paper is going to be a real estate management problem.... or very small type...

Are you going to filter this to a lower number of jobs, or some how make the final report have jobs vertically instead of horizontally?

Is there a better report/table(s) to base this on or do you need to filter by job(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by Psyop View Post
                          Do you happen to know what the hard limit for the number of fields are for QReportBuilder?
                          Robert

Are you doing as mike suggested and using the report genie? If so, there is a limit with it that is very small. Please use the report editor and expand the number of fields alot. In the case of the report editor, the limit is the amount of fields that will fit on the report rather than a hard number of fields.

The genie is designed to ease the starting of a report, not to be used as an end all...

Hope that helps...
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Al -- that was it. I didn't realize the report genie was the limitation. I assumed the report editor would have the same issue.

Mike, thank you for your suggestions too!

You guys were great. I look forward to being able to contribute what I learn to these forums soon.

Cheers, Robert

Robert

Are you doing as mike suggested and using the report genie? If so, there is a limit with it that is very small. Please use the report editor and expand the number of fields alot. In the case of the report editor, the limit is the amount of fields that will fit on the report rather than a hard number of fields.

The genie is designed to ease the starting of a report, not to be used as an end all...

Hope that helps...

Comment

Working...
                            X