Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to point multiple domains to a single server/ip/correct associated Alpha folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to point multiple domains to a single server/ip/correct associated Alpha fold

I�m trying to do what Kevin described on 11/06/2008 earlier in this thread.

(Background: I�m running an application using a Windows XP PC with a Dynamic IP address and service from NOIP.com. It works fine. I�m currently ready to install and run a second application with a second domain name on the same PC.)

The Apache Server seems to have installed correctly and is running, but it is not allowing access to my application. With Apache running, and the A5 WAS either ON or OFF web browsers are getting �Service Temporarily Unavailable�.

I modified the httpd.conf and httpd-vhosts.conf files as described earlier. The httpd-vhosts.conf is attached but the names and ip address has been changed for this posting. If it gets confusing, I�ll post the actual file.

Questions:
    1. During the installation of Apache, we were asked for some information including the server name, email address, and something else. What goes into the server name field? Is it the name of the PC as found by viewing the system information? Or, is it a new unique name?

2. What would prevent a web browser from reaching the application (using an httpd-vhosts.conf similar to the attached)? Name1 in this file represents a registered domain name. (The second virtual host block is all commented out at this time in an attempt to get the first one working).

3. I put in my real IP address into the httpd-vhosts.conf file as in the example. But, I have a virtual IP address and I�m using the service from NO-IP.com. Will apache work with a virtual IP address and what would change where the IP address goes in the conf file?
    LMOTCOB (Larry O - Taking Care Of Business)

Comment

Re: How to point multiple domains to a single server/ip/correct associated Alpha fold

Hi Larry,

I'm not sure that all answers are 100% accurate, but for the best of my understanding:

1. Server name can be just "localhost" and does not deal with your computer name. Email address you were asked for will appear on the screen in case server is not responding or smth - as a contact info, so it is your site administrator email address. You can rewrite it to a different value for each virtual host.
      2. I'm not sure you have configured ProxyPass directive correctly for name1.com domain. There should be 3 directives for each additional domain, and you have only two.
      3. I was not dealing with dynamic IP addresses... May be this approach will not work with IP address or work not as you expect it to. Since you do not have stable IP-address, you can not write IP-address itself in .conf file. Instead you will have to write domain name that you received from NO-IP.com. The problem is that MAY BE it would not possible to redirect let's say www.name1.com to www.name1.com/name1, because here it can stuck in an endless loop. Possible solution here is to redirect www.name1.com to www.name2.com/name1, but then the user will see www.name2.com in the browser address bar - and most probably that is what you are trying to avoid.

"Service temporary unavailable" can appear for many reasons... It is difficult to say why without knowing your computer configuration (firewall, etc) and httpd.conf file.

Hope it can hep,
      Olga

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I made some small progress but I still can�t get the virtual host to allow access to my A5 WAS application. This is my first attempt at using Apache so it is probably something basic.

Apache and the A5 WAS are on the same PC on a home network behind a Linksys router. In the router, I have port forwarding of port 80 going to this PC. It is set up with a static IP of 192.168.15.100. (The external IP address is from a cable modem and is dynamic. It has not changed in months. I�m using NoIP.com)

The Apache error log is saying that Apache �could not reliably determine the server�s fully qualified domain name and is using 192.168.15.100 for the ServerName�.

I tried using my real external IP address and the internal static IP in the VHOST container for the ProxyPass Directive but neither worked.

The domain name for the first virtual host is a registered name and is currently working without Apache. Nothing in the default block is registered. The third block will be added after the second is working.

My A5 WAS settings are: Server Name = Larry3, Port = 8080, Doc Root = C:\A5Webroot\LowBidder

The (Apache) LowBidder-Access.Log shows access attempts with either the external or internal IP address but the web browser only is displaying the Site Under Construction message that is in Apache2.2\htdocs\index.html

I think I need to first understand the server name issue. What should I use?

The latest httpd-vhosts.conf is attached.

Comment

Originally posted by LMOTCOB View Post
          Thanks for the ideas. I made some small progress but I still can�t get the virtual host to allow access to my A5 WAS application. This is my first attempt at using Apache so it is probably something basic.

Apache and the A5 WAS are on the same PC on a home network behind a Linksys router. In the router, I have port forwarding of port 80 going to this PC. It is set up with a static IP of 192.168.15.100. (The external IP address is from a cable modem and is dynamic. It has not changed in months. I�m using NoIP.com)

The Apache error log is saying that Apache �could not reliably determine the server�s fully qualified domain name and is using 192.168.15.100 for the ServerName�.

I tried using my real external IP address and the internal static IP in the VHOST container for the ProxyPass Directive but neither worked.

The domain name for the first virtual host is a registered name and is currently working without Apache. Nothing in the default block is registered. The third block will be added after the second is working.

My A5 WAS settings are: Server Name = Larry3, Port = 8080, Doc Root = C:\A5Webroot\LowBidder

The (Apache) LowBidder-Access.Log shows access attempts with either the external or internal IP address but the web browser only is displaying the Site Under Construction message that is in Apache2.2\htdocs\index.html

I think I need to first understand the server name issue. What should I use?

The latest httpd-vhosts.conf is attached.
          I will start by saying that I do not have an application server running nor any experience with Apache.

The error message is indicating that when the server is responding to the client's initial connection, the server does not know where to direct the client for additional communication. So it is using the IP address 192.168.15.100. Which from your explanation sounds like the internal address of the your router. So the client then sends its next response to the router. Since the router is unaware of anything else it most likely does not respond to the client's communication request.

I would predict that you have the 192.168.15.100 value entered somewhere you need to have the domain name instead.

The Apache software should have come with documentation on how to configure it. It might be beneficial to read up on its instructions and then re-read what others here have done. That should help you pinpoint where you have the information entered incorrectly.

Looking at the httpd-vhosts-conf.txt file you uploaded I believe that the ProxyPass entries need to refer to your external ip address not the internal one for your router. Having not used Apache I could be wrong. But in typical internet system setups the internal ip's are never used in the configuration settings. Usually we only need to configure the real-world ip address, i.e. the external ip address for the router.
          Andrew

Comment

Yes, I agree that I probably need the external IP address in the ProxyPass directive. I tried both and it didn't make any difference, but that is probably because of the ServerName problem. The example earlier in this thread seemed to be complete, but I must be missing something. Any Apache users out there?

Comment

I'm using Apache, but (and the reason I have not chimed in) I am using a module directly from Alpha that I am not sure if they sell anymore. It is called the Alpha Apache Module. You'd have to contact sales directly to see if it is available.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve,
                I read some old posts mentioning that. I called and was sent to voicemail yesterday, and I also sent an email with no response yet. But, I think they are having a snow and ice storm so I'll be patient.

Comment

I'm disappointed to say that I talked to someone at Alpha and they have no solution other than for me to get with my ISP and get a second IP address, a second PC, and another WAS. That is what I didn't want. So, if I were to host ten or twenty applications (which I don't expect to do), then I would need that many IP addresss and PC's. Sounds riduclous.

Comment

I am hoping there is an update for this THREAD.
                    Does any one do?

Here is a scenario, I hope it can be executed
                    The difficulties of hosting 2 apps in a single server is that the internet user will type www.mydomain.com and the system will translate to an IP address and the First page to open will be index.html or default.

If I were to develop 2 application with different main.a5w pages, like bus1.a5w and bus2.a5w. Using the same aw5server folder.

If both first pages are the requested redirection from 2 different websites, like website1 will link to bus1 and website2 link to page bus2.a5w, will it work?

each page will link to their corresponding subpages.

Comment

yes but both users will have access to bus1 and bus2, and both would share the same security system -- if a user was logged in to bus1, they would be logged in to bus2. You could possibly work out a fancy system to keep them isolated. Your web pages can 'know' which website the person came from and react with different images, menu, etc. But you'd have a lot of work to do to isolate.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi

I ran the WAS on a windows 2003 server with a single IP using 50 domains.

It was relativly simple to do. When you set up the directory structure in IIS you have your normal domains there what you do nned to do is create a directory and within that place sub directories for each database.

You then call each database by the path and it works.

On IIS you have to change the port and use an external FTP client .

There are security implications but as mine was for fellow developers it was not a serious issue.

Unfortunately due to lack of take up I scrapped the server last year so can't send you screen shots but it does work

HTH

Ian

Comment

Are you implying that we use IIs in combination wih WAS?

Could you elaborate more in the subject?
                          How do you call each DB?
                          When the user in the internet request www.mydomain.com, He does not get www.Mydomain22.com which is the same server and the same IP?
                          Clarification and/or samples will be most appreciated.
                          Thanks

Comment

Hi

As I remember

I created a directory called data on my web server which was located on a partition D:\

I then installed the was and changed the port to 81

In that directories I added subdirectories

developer1
                            developer2
                            developer3 etc

then in Alpha I set the adb path to

Pathalias adb_path= d:\data\developer 1 or 2 or three

finaly on the webserver when I created the web site profile I added that path to the web location

accessing it using the structure

http://www.domainname.co.uk:81/your datadirectory/filename.a5w

Simply because the Was is using the d:\ as a root it listed to all sub directorys

Putting the port 81 in was a dissadvantage but it made it function. Remember to add something like firedemon which will start the Was as a service should your server reboot.

At one point I had all this documented but since I stopped the service I've had a clear out.

I was using webserver 2003 with IIS but had to turn off the inbuilt ftp server because of port issues.

It does however work it was regretably just not profitable for me

HTH

Ian

Comment

Here is the approach I took that allows one server running one instance using one IP address to host multiple domains.

In summary, create an index.a5w document that does not display any text but uses the request.host request variable to extract the host name from the http header and then use response.redirect to send the user to the appropriate location.

Each domain will need its own sub-directory for the documents to exist in. I use an abbreviation of the domain name and I put the data outside the webroot. Note the "fme" in the following example. I then setup the FTP server to isolate each directory and avoid overwriting files from one project to another. You can also control it in the web project profiles.

Example:
                              www.faxmyemail.com
                              documents: c:/a5/a5webroot/fme/....
                              data: c:/a5/a5webdata/fme/....

www.flashcardsystems.com
                              documents: c:/a5/a5webroot/fcs/....
                              data: c:/a5/a5webdata/fcs/....

Example: The following 4 domains are hosted on one server using the same IP address. These are 4 domains we own that we have never done anything with so I'm using them for this example so don't expect much.

www.faxmyemail.com
                              www.emailmyfax.com
                              www.flashcardsystems.com
                              www.myweatherlog.com

Example index.a5w code. Note: that nothing gets displayed from this page unless there is an error or the user just types the ip address in the address bar. That could be redirected to a nice clean page instead of the one line message.

Code:
                              <html>
                              <head>
                              <meta name="generator" content="Alpha Five HTML Editor">
                              <title></title>
                              </head>
                              <body>
                              <%a5 
                              dim Vhostname as C

Vhostname = lower(request.host)

'#Put any code here if you want to make an entry
                              '#into a log file.

select
                                 '# you need to handle the situation if someone types the IP address directly.
                                 case Vhostname = "72.18.217.165"
                                 '# You can either generate a generic message or redirect to a detailed page.
                                 ? "You have reached a Virtual Server!"
                                 'response.redirect("http://72.18.217.165/Virtual_Server_msg.html")

'#Be sure to setup the domain name with the www and without 
                                 '#You can use subdomains here if need ex: server1.emailmyfax.com
                                 case Vhostname = "www.emailmyfax.com" .or. Vhostname = "emailmyfax.com"
                                 response.redirect("http://www.emailmyfax.com/emf")

case Vhostname = "www.faxmyemail.com" .or. Vhostname = "faxmyemail.com"
                                 response.redirect("http://www.faxmyemail.com/fme/")	

case Vhostname = "www.flashcardsystems.com" .or. Vhostname = "flashcardsystems.com"
                                 response.redirect("http://www.flashcardsystems.com/fcs/")

case Vhostname = "www.myweatherlog.com" .or. Vhostname = "myweatherlog.com"
                                 response.redirect("http://www.myweatherlog.com/mwl/")

case else
                                 '# Either generate a generic message or redirect to a detailed page
                                 ? "The hostname " + Vhostname + " was Not setup on this server properly" 
                                 'response.redirect("http://72.18.217.165/Server_Error_No_host.html") 

end select
                              %> 
                              </body></html>
                              I ran into the following problems with this work around and there may be more.
                              • SSL probably will not work.
                              • After the user types in the url www.faxmyemail.com and they look at the url in there browser, they will see the sub directory. Not a big deal but it just doesn't look very clean.
                              • I don't think you could use Alpha's built-in web security so you might have to develop your own.

I also use the index.a5w file as a chance to log activity in an an a5 database to view realtime activity but I removed that code to simplify the example.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Hi

I suspect you will be correct ssl will not work on this scenario.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                                X