Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Unhandled Exception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unhandled Exception

I attempt to open the default form in a set and I receive the "Unhandled Exception (Access Violation) dialog. Other default and custom forms and browses open fine.

While this is not a show stopper, I am concerned there may be something lurking under the surface. Any ideas where I can look for the source of the problem?
    Ed Merritt
    UniversalWorkshop.com

Listen; there's a hell of a good universe next door: let's go.
    e.e. cummings

Re: Unhandled Exception

We run 40 workstations in a manufacturing environment. While I will concede that we may have gotten Access Violations under Version 8, I do not recall them. Since cutting over to Version 9, they have become a daily fact of life, and a big problem when stability is a top priority. So, there is something going on in Version 9. But I have not been able to solve the problem. We are continuing to look for an answer.

Comment

Hi Ed,

The default form should work under almost any circumstances. I would suspect that the only time one might fail is if you have some field defined as calculated that is trying to divide by zero or some other similar mathematical problem.

I would encourage you to submit your database as a bug report attachment.

Bob Arbuthnot

Comment

Just as a point of reference.....

I'll second what Jeff says - I too am seeing this unhandled exception issue in V9. While not daily - it occurs randomly and I have not been able to track down the issue as of yet. Application is running on 15 WinXP workstations.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Arbuthnot View Post
          I would encourage you to submit your database as a bug report attachment.
          In November, my post was read by an Alpha employee who asked that I submit my database. I did, the tables were examined (without data) and they treated it as a bug. Within a week or so, an update was released and the problem did not reappear.

Stability of v9 is still a concern though. I now occasionally delete the .CDX files and let A5 rebuild them. Stability does increase for a while and rarely do I see any "Unhandled Exception" dialogs.
          Ed Merritt
          UniversalWorkshop.com

Listen; there's a hell of a good universe next door: let's go.
          e.e. cummings

Comment

Something just jogged my (not what it used to be) memory.

If you have a problem with the default browse or form, the problem is likely in the field rules for the table/one of the tables of the set. The corollary statement is if the default browse/form performs normally, the problem is likely with your form/browse.

(Tip o' the hat to Tom Cone, Jr.)
            There can be only one.

Comment

Am curious as to whether this is happening when developing or after the application has been completed and is being used....for me it is during development. I have had freezeups, unhandled exceptions, Database API exceptions, and a really oddball called "exception unknown software exception". Getting to the point where I am thinking of not using version 9 in regard to distributing or even showing something as credibility would be soon lost if these errors were to appear when doing so. And like others, I cannot reproduce at will yet....but in my case also, it is not just one database but any database and occurs several times in say a 4 hour session of work.

You will note that these are happening in QReportBuilder but it is being maintained at the version 9 level.

I'm trying to figure out a way to reproduce one or more of these errors but so far am at a loss.

Mike

Comment

Am curious as to whether this is happening when developing or after the application has been completed and is being used....for me it is during development.
                Hi Mike

For me, the majority of these are on the completed application. I do have some issues with V9 during development but not too many.

You are correct, these unhandles exceptions bring into question the credibility/stability of the product / my development skills. The weird issue for me is that 2 of the power users of my application primarily stay in two screens - they will be doing the same functions in those screens for 4-5 days with no problems. Then, seemingly to me at least, (at random) they will be doing the same job functions on day 6 (or whatever day) and get an unhandled exception. As you might guess, this is virtually impossible for me to troubleshoot.

Regards,

Jeff

Later....FWIW - the majority of errors I am receiving are like the first example screenshot you posted.
                Last edited by jkletrovets; 04-16-2009, 08:30 AM. Reason: Additonal Info

Comment

Thanks Jeff,
                  these unhandles exceptions bring into question the credibility/stability of the product
                  I agree, but want to add that it does NOT make me feel this way about Alpha but those who are unfamiliar with Alpha would/could make such a judgment. I am also still optimistic that Alpha will remedy these problems with our help in figuring out how/when they happen.
                  Mike

Comment

Good morning all ....

We have had an interesting development. I have mentioned that since going to Version 9 we have had dozens of "Unhandled Exceptions" each day, seemingly coming from all over the place.

Then we began to notice that they were actually coming from about a third of our 40 workstations. Those workstations generating the Unhandled Exceptions were also the only ones running Lavasofts Ad-Watch anti-spyware program. So, we turned off Ad-Watch and the Alpha Unhandled Exceptions dropped to near zero. I believe there was one yesterday.

I do not know what this says about Version 9 (we had no such trouble with Version 8), Ad-Watch, or Windows 2000 Professional. But it may be a clue to someone more knowledgable than myself in identifying the underlying problem.

For the time being, Ad-Watch remains turned off.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Mike,

I agree, but want to add that it does NOT make me feel this way about Alpha
                      I am for the most part with you. I REALLY like Alpha and hope there is some feedback / resolution from Alpha.

but those who are unfamiliar with Alpha would/could make such a judgment.
                      The problem is that the users just don't care if Alpha is a great product in our eyes - if it does not behave properly and help them do their job - they have a predisposed opinion that the software they are using is unstable and unreliable. The key to this (with my users at least) is that the software can work GREAT 99% of the time. That other 1% really causes them to just "accept" that the software has a "personality" all the while slightly diminishing their opinion of the application.

Not to get off on a tangent but this is goes along with the sentiment of a thread a while back that Alpha needs to make the product more "bulletproof" before giving us 30 new features, IMHO. I developed a large app in Foxpro that has run for around 13 years and I have maybe seen 20 General Protection Faults in that program in 13 years.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I've used Ad-Watch in the past but not recently. Can you tell Ad-Watch to "trust" A5? Add it to a list of trusted apps... or something like that so that Ad-Watch will leave A5 alone?

Comment

Just thought I would weigh in on this "Unhandled Exception" issue..

I have a completed application, build in version 8, and working fine.

I upgraded to version 9 and now have "unhandled exceptions" many times a day on random workstations.

Quitting application, restarting computer solves the problem, but everyone looks at me like I am screwing up application when all I wanted to do is upgrade to latest and greatest Alpha Five.

Frustrating..

Does anyone know if Version 9 alters forms/browses etc making them incompatible with version 8?

I am seriously considering downgrading to version 8 as this is a real problem for my office.

Comment

Perry,
                            I am unaware of anything that directly causes incompatibility between the versions.

I take it that you did not have any problems when you first tested the application on version 9 apart from the live database, but only after you incorporated into your actual live usage of it---I would then be looking for things that are different from your testing and that of your users.
                            Mike

Comment

I can test my application all day without a problem, but when I have 8 dispatchers using it all day, the "unhandled exception" errors will occur randomly throughout the day in a way that cannot be duplicated by another workstation, or even that particular workstation after a restart. The problems occur during just about any use, whether looking up a customer, printing a form, or creating a new record..

It reminds me of when I used alpha4 v3 Dos with a really crummy network setup. Lots of communication errors.

-perry

Comment

Working...
                              X