Alpha Video Training
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unhandled Exception

Real Name
    Ed Merritt

Default Unhandled Exception

I attempt to open the default form in a set and I receive the "Unhandled Exception (Access Violation) dialog. Other default and custom forms and browses open fine.

While this is not a show stopper, I am concerned there may be something lurking under the surface. Any ideas where I can look for the source of the problem?
    Ed Merritt
    UniversalWorkshop.com

Listen; there's a hell of a good universe next door: let's go.
    e.e. cummings

Real Name
    Jeff Emery

Default Re: Unhandled Exception

We run 40 workstations in a manufacturing environment. While I will concede that we may have gotten Access Violations under Version 8, I do not recall them. Since cutting over to Version 9, they have become a daily fact of life, and a big problem when stability is a top priority. So, there is something going on in Version 9. But I have not been able to solve the problem. We are continuing to look for an answer.

Real Name
    Bob Arbuthnot

Hi Ed,

The default form should work under almost any circumstances. I would suspect that the only time one might fail is if you have some field defined as calculated that is trying to divide by zero or some other similar mathematical problem.

I would encourage you to submit your database as a bug report attachment.

Bob Arbuthnot

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Just as a point of reference.....

I'll second what Jeff says - I too am seeing this unhandled exception issue in V9. While not daily - it occurs randomly and I have not been able to track down the issue as of yet. Application is running on 15 WinXP workstations.

Regards,

Jeff

Real Name
    Ed Merritt

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Arbuthnot View Post
    I would encourage you to submit your database as a bug report attachment.
    In November, my post was read by an Alpha employee who asked that I submit my database. I did, the tables were examined (without data) and they treated it as a bug. Within a week or so, an update was released and the problem did not reappear.

Stability of v9 is still a concern though. I now occasionally delete the .CDX files and let A5 rebuild them. Stability does increase for a while and rarely do I see any "Unhandled Exception" dialogs.
    Ed Merritt
    UniversalWorkshop.com

e.e. cummings

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Something just jogged my (not what it used to be) memory.

If you have a problem with the default browse or form, the problem is likely in the field rules for the table/one of the tables of the set. The corollary statement is if the default browse/form performs normally, the problem is likely with your form/browse.

(Tip o' the hat to Tom Cone, Jr.)
    There can be only one.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Am curious as to whether this is happening when developing or after the application has been completed and is being used....for me it is during development. I have had freezeups, unhandled exceptions, Database API exceptions, and a really oddball called "exception unknown software exception". Getting to the point where I am thinking of not using version 9 in regard to distributing or even showing something as credibility would be soon lost if these errors were to appear when doing so. And like others, I cannot reproduce at will yet....but in my case also, it is not just one database but any database and occurs several times in say a 4 hour session of work.

You will note that these are happening in QReportBuilder but it is being maintained at the version 9 level.

I'm trying to figure out a way to reproduce one or more of these errors but so far am at a loss.

Attachment 20760Attachment 20761Attachment 20762
    Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Am curious as to whether this is happening when developing or after the application has been completed and is being used....for me it is during development.
    Hi Mike

For me, the majority of these are on the completed application. I do have some issues with V9 during development but not too many.

You are correct, these unhandles exceptions bring into question the credibility/stability of the product / my development skills. The weird issue for me is that 2 of the power users of my application primarily stay in two screens - they will be doing the same functions in those screens for 4-5 days with no problems. Then, seemingly to me at least, (at random) they will be doing the same job functions on day 6 (or whatever day) and get an unhandled exception. As you might guess, this is virtually impossible for me to troubleshoot.

Regards,

Jeff

Later....FWIW - the majority of errors I am receiving are like the first example screenshot you posted.
    Last edited by jkletrovets; 04-16-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Additonal Info

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Thanks Jeff,
    these unhandles exceptions bring into question the credibility/stability of the product
    I agree, but want to add that it does NOT make me feel this way about Alpha but those who are unfamiliar with Alpha would/could make such a judgment. I am also still optimistic that Alpha will remedy these problems with our help in figuring out how/when they happen.
    Mike

Real Name
    Jeff Emery

Good morning all ....

We have had an interesting development. I have mentioned that since going to Version 9 we have had dozens of "Unhandled Exceptions" each day, seemingly coming from all over the place.

Then we began to notice that they were actually coming from about a third of our 40 workstations. Those workstations generating the Unhandled Exceptions were also the only ones running Lavasofts Ad-Watch anti-spyware program. So, we turned off Ad-Watch and the Alpha Unhandled Exceptions dropped to near zero. I believe there was one yesterday.

I do not know what this says about Version 9 (we had no such trouble with Version 8), Ad-Watch, or Windows 2000 Professional. But it may be a clue to someone more knowledgable than myself in identifying the underlying problem.

For the time being, Ad-Watch remains turned off.

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Hi Mike,

I agree, but want to add that it does NOT make me feel this way about Alpha
    I am for the most part with you. I REALLY like Alpha and hope there is some feedback / resolution from Alpha.

but those who are unfamiliar with Alpha would/could make such a judgment.
    The problem is that the users just don't care if Alpha is a great product in our eyes - if it does not behave properly and help them do their job - they have a predisposed opinion that the software they are using is unstable and unreliable. The key to this (with my users at least) is that the software can work GREAT 99% of the time. That other 1% really causes them to just "accept" that the software has a "personality" all the while slightly diminishing their opinion of the application.

Not to get off on a tangent but this is goes along with the sentiment of a thread a while back that Alpha needs to make the product more "bulletproof" before giving us 30 new features, IMHO. I developed a large app in Foxpro that has run for around 13 years and I have maybe seen 20 General Protection Faults in that program in 13 years.

Regards,

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Hi Jeff,

I've used Ad-Watch in the past but not recently. Can you tell Ad-Watch to "trust" A5? Add it to a list of trusted apps... or something like that so that Ad-Watch will leave A5 alone?

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Just thought I would weigh in on this "Unhandled Exception" issue..

I have a completed application, build in version 8, and working fine.

I upgraded to version 9 and now have "unhandled exceptions" many times a day on random workstations.

Quitting application, restarting computer solves the problem, but everyone looks at me like I am screwing up application when all I wanted to do is upgrade to latest and greatest Alpha Five.

Frustrating..

Does anyone know if Version 9 alters forms/browses etc making them incompatible with version 8?

I am seriously considering downgrading to version 8 as this is a real problem for my office.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Perry,
    I am unaware of anything that directly causes incompatibility between the versions.

I take it that you did not have any problems when you first tested the application on version 9 apart from the live database, but only after you incorporated into your actual live usage of it---I would then be looking for things that are different from your testing and that of your users.
    Mike

Real Name
    Perry Williams

I can test my application all day without a problem, but when I have 8 dispatchers using it all day, the "unhandled exception" errors will occur randomly throughout the day in a way that cannot be duplicated by another workstation, or even that particular workstation after a restart. The problems occur during just about any use, whether looking up a customer, printing a form, or creating a new record..

It reminds me of when I used alpha4 v3 Dos with a really crummy network setup. Lots of communication errors.

-perry

Real Name
    Rob

Ad-Watch doesn't get along well with other anti-virus programs. Are you running more than one security program?

Real Name
    Perry Williams

I do not have any anti virus, anti adware, etc on these machines. They are Windows Vista with vista parental controls only.

Real Name
    Rob

Perry,

Vista has a whole range of problems with networking. Is your database on server or on one of the workstations? I imagine that you have already tried downloading all the Vista patches?

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Yes, we keep vista up to date, but again, none of the unhandled exception problems existed with version 8.

I just had another unhandled exception while making a change to an .a5w page on the windows 2003 server itself (no network involved). The page causes an error now if I even try to edit it again, I had to delete it using windows, and start over.

Real Name
    Jeff Emery

Good morning Perry -

I don't have any additional information to pass on regarding 'Unhandled Exceptions', only to reiterate that we have extensive applications that ran without the error under Version 8, but became a huge problem under Version 9. The problem did not surface during testing of V9, but arose once we implemented it. In our case, turning off Lavasofts Ad-Aware reduced the error to near zero, but we still get an 'Unhandled Exception' every couple of days... seemingly never coming from the same machine or application. Still, an Unhandled Exception every couple of days has to be considered unacceptable.

We run Windows 2000 Professional on our workstations and Debian Linux on our server, but I tend to think the error is workstation related, not network related.

I hope someone gets to the botton of this soon.

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Just to add another 2 cents to the mix....

I got called again this morning from a client because of an unhandled exception. They do no use Lavasoft Ad-Aware. They use a well respected network antivirus/adware protection program from Trend. I have turned off the adware checking and antivirus protection for my entire data directory as well as the RunEngine directory.

The error today was triggered by printing a simple one page report. The report selection criteria is a simple query that selects one record for printing a packing list. I have no idea of where even to begin to diagnose this problem as this same customer had already run this same report (using different selection criteria) approximately 10 times already today with no issue.

I think this is "un-diagnosable" from my end. I am convinced this is a core Alpha V9 problem.

I hope Alpha will put heavy resources into fixing this issue. At the very least jump in here to let us know they are working on it.

For reference....the clients at this site use all WinXP Pro SP3 workstations with Windows Server 2003 as the server.

Regards,

Jeff

Real Name
    Ed Merritt

Quote Originally Posted by perry9999 View Post
    Yes, we keep vista up to date, but again, none of the unhandled exception problems existed with version 8.
    What video resolution are your workstations running at? I've seen the problem on an occasion on my simple order management db - no more than 5500 records at present - and it's a desktop only app. My res is set to 1680 x 1050. It occurred more often when the display was at 1280 x 1024 and on a different monitor.

I'm wondering if a lower or higher res might make a difference.
    Ed Merritt
    UniversalWorkshop.com

e.e. cummings

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Interesting.....

For reference....The predominant settings the users of my apps are running are at either 1024x768 or 1280x768.

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Interesting..

My workstations are all at 1280 x 1024.. I wonder if you are onto something.. Unfortunately, I built my forms to take up the full height of display, so changing will be a pain in the butt.

I am not sure whether to downgrade, resize, or hold out for Alpha repair..

I also am wondering if everyone is using Server 2003?

That was also mentioned in other posts.. Could this me a Server2003 incompatibility?

hmmm..

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

I downloaded someones else application that runs in v9 OEM RT and it blew up on me w. an Unhandled Exception. This NEVER happens to me in v8.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    I downloaded someones else application that runs in v9 OEM RT and it blew up on me w. an Unhandled Exception. This NEVER happens to me in v8.
    Sounds like a good candidate for someone to submit with a bug report?
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mathews View Post
    Sounds like a good candidate for someone to submit with a bug report?
    Hi Stan,

FWIW: The appropriate party has been informed.

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Apparently, no one has answers to this version 9 unhandled exceptions error..

I submitted bug report to Alpha asking them to at least acknowledge that they are working on it, but have received no reply..

I am downgrading all workstations back to Version 8.

Let me know if Alpha solve this problem, (or at least acknowledges it's existence). In the meantime, Alpha Software credibility loses a point with me.

-Perry

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Perry

I am with you...I wish Alpha would at least acknowledge its existence and that they are working on it.

If I could revert to V8....I would. But I am using a feature that was introduced in V9 that is integral to my app.

As an aside, I would not even know how to submit a bug report from my end with this issue The errors are so sporadic it is not possible for me to indentify it in any reproducible way.

Regards,

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

Same here, I cannot pin it down to any specific action. It can appear both in development and during runtime. I seem to think it may be linked to custom menus.

I can sometimes force the error when making changes to the properties of letters and then change the menu to 'None'

Michael
    www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk