Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Unhandled Exception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unhandled Exception

Just to put some more information into the mix(in addition to what Michael just posted)......in case someone from Alpha is lurking here.

I do not have any menus on my forms - I use custom toolbars. In my situation I am not really seeing the errors during development. I am seeing it with my users using the unlimited distribution run engine. All of my data entry / edit forms are modal.

Comment

Perhaps perversely, I am glad that these problems are becoming more widespread. When I posted these issues last year I was left feeling it was me rather than Alpha at fault.

On a positive note, I have now gained a little more confidence in my own ability and my first point of call is reverting to earlier and more stable patches when problems arise - as opposed to spending hours looking for something that I have done wrong.

However, I have greatly improved stability by ensuring that all my PC's are running the latest MS updates, and I have also eliminated Norton. We now get far fewer issues, but just accept them and regularly backup and rebuild indexes. Fortunately our application is internal, as I certainly would not want to sell something as unstable.
      Larry Gordon

Comment

just to add some weight to hopefully getting this fixed, i have these on a daily basis, adhoc, no specific action carried out just before the error, cant pin it down.

i too can not down grade as majority built in v9.

i have a firm who wants to buy my product, but i am stalling as its not saleable and therefore losing income.

Comment

With the recent interest in this issue, and the sales that are being held up, why doesn't someone take the initiative to begin a thorough search for common denominators?

Operating system? workstation? server?
          RAM?
          Anti-Virus?
          CPU?
          Network characteristics?
          Video display adapter?
          Hardware acceleration for video enabled? i.e. is your video subsystem "sharing" main memory with your cpu?

Everyone is NOT having this issue. What do the troubled systems have in common?

Has anyone run their database after re-booting with a minimal configuration ? i.e. a "Safe" reboot? Do the errors still occur?

Comment

Tom,

Here is a start, error occurs:

1. O/S = XP or Vista

2. Non networked, stand alone PC

3. Appears both during development and runtime

4. Still using the build 1772- 3208 (October 2008) so would be interested to know if any one using later builds experiences the error.

Michael
            www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
              Tom,

Here is a start, error occurs:

1. O/S = XP or Vista

2. Non networked, stand alone PC

4. Still using the build 1772- 3208 (October 2008) so would be interested to know if any one using later builds experiences the error.

Michael
              www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk

Im using the latest build 2095_3264, and receive the error on one of 40 workstations several times a day.

1. OS = XP sp3

2. networked, Server2003 R2

4. Build 2095_3264

5. Mcafee AV 8.1 with exception for Alpha

Comment

A little more info from my end.....Improvement has been seen by my users....

I too am using the following:

1. OS = XP sp3

2. networked, Server2003 R2

3. Build 2095_3264 Unlimited RunEngine

4. TrendMicro Officescan with exception for Alpha

5. 1 GB Network

I am seeing less errors these days. Although one of the users got one today but it only showed when they hit my "Close Application" button. They sent me a screenshot and my app is closed and not visible but Alpha popped up the "Unhandled Exception" as soon as my app was not visible any longer.

Here is what I have done that seems to have helped.

1. Finally listened to Ira and made almost every piece of code into a function.:)
                2. Eliminated use or Alpha's "Companion Forms" - not sure if this is related or not but these were occassionally giving errors in bring up the companion form.
                3. Set up network optimization on work stations. - previously had not network optimized because if you look at the size of the files(DDD, DDX,DDM) on a 1GB network you would not think it would really matter. But, it seems to have helped some in the app's snappiness and stability. Although the speed difference is not dramatic.

Comment

I have run into the UNHANDLED EXCEPTION during development of a script on a A5w page using WIN2K on P4 1.8 system. I tested the script in A5V9 and it worked so I cut and pasted it to the page. ERROR occurred. I kept cutting it back until it went away at 217 lines. I click on OK and then hit the SAVE icon - NOERROR. I then added a line 218 -A COMMENT LINE and --- ERROR. I've killed all spyware and virus software -- NO JOY. I moved the entire system to my laptop running WINXP MC and what do you know -- JOY JOY -- But does that mean I can't run the web app on a WIN2k machine? Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

I am also seeing this problem.

1. OS = XP sp3, All updates

2. networked, Server2008 All update

3. Build 2095_3264 Platinum and Unlimited RunEngine

4. CA Etrust

5. 100 BT network

6. Using both DBF's and Active Link tables (read only) MSSQL Server.

7. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2GHz w 3GB Ram.

On the full version for no reason I can figure out, I started receiving "unhandled exception" every time I opened a report and it was every report. It was many forms and and tabels as well. Also getting "relation corrupt" when attempting to open a set or a form with a set. In addition to this problem, A5 will start to run extremely slow and just lock up as well. Reboot PC, no help. Reboot Servier, no help, shutdown all other workstations, no help, Shut down CA-Anti Virus, no help, Killed all processes related to AV and anti spy, ran registry mechanic, all no help.

Finally Deleted all CDX as recommeneded above. Problem gone for now. We'll see if it comes back. I'm very surprised to see nobody from Alpha making a post on this subject.

Comment

I have a small confession to make...

I have been pulling my hair out for a about year trying to resolve the error problems. So, clutching at straws, a few weeks ago I ran the 'Network Optimise' routine - for the first time - and since then my error problems have all but vanished!

I am not really qualified to make intelligent comment, but my gut feel is that it is a timing issue, which only appears to affect Alpha V9. For example, sometimes one PC might complain that it cannot see a particular form, and yet the next PC can open it without problem.

The good news is, Optimizing the Network has totally improved my V9 experience.

Comment

The reason the laptop worked was because I had not installed the latest updates to A5V9. So I uninstalled A5V9 from my main system and just installed the original CDs and what do you know the exception went away. That is how I am running right now. I have to put up with other problems that were fixed with the updates. I am hoping that V10 will not have the problem.

Comment

I just had an even wierder experience. I lost a bunch of forms. I went back to last nights backup and the forms were gone. I went back two days and they were there. I then tried to run the utility that another was generaous enough to post to "copy objects" and his utility wouldn't run. (not his fault). I then slowly started loosing access to all my forms and tables. They were giving me the relation corroupt or unhandled exception. So I repeated the process of deleting the CDX files, and I couldn't believe, but not only did the access errors go away, but my forms came back to life. I really think Larry is on to something with sync issues, and I am conviced that whatever the cause is that corrupt indexes are causing the problems. Is everybody that having this problem using indexes? I force my aplication upgrades out, but I just bumped up the version number in network optimize to make sure all workstations are the same as larry did. Will report in a few days if that helped.

Comment

Ok, the sync of the workstation versions via network optimize didn't do the trick. Not only did I get this error again, and not only did I loose a bunch of forms, this time I lost the complete set. The only way I could get it back was to apply a backup and then overwrite the DBF files with current ones. What a mess.

Comment

For what it's worth, I've been running a standalone desktop bookkeeping app for my business under V9 Platinum for over a year now, and I have never had an "Unhandled Exception".

Except ... yesterday I ran Network Optimize, so that I can get to my app from my laptop over a wireless network, while my wife uses my desktop to check her emails. I installed the shadow DB on the laptop; everything works fine.

And today, on the desktop machine, running standalone, for the first time ever, I got an "Unhandled Exception".

I know it's not conclusive, but it points fairly strongly to the area of concern.

(I'm on XP Home SP3; V9 Platinum build 1847 3216, which seems to be the most stable for my setup.)

Pete

Comment

Pete,
                                I agreee. Just curious before you ran network optimize, and when you were running standalone, was your data file on your local harddrive or was it on a network drive?

It sems to me that this problem is indeed related to network usage as you suggest.

I wonder why nobody from ALPHA has chimed in yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X