Alpha Video Training
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unhandled Exception

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Default Re: Unhandled Exception

Just to put some more information into the mix(in addition to what Michael just posted)......in case someone from Alpha is lurking here.

I do not have any menus on my forms - I use custom toolbars. In my situation I am not really seeing the errors during development. I am seeing it with my users using the unlimited distribution run engine. All of my data entry / edit forms are modal.

Real Name
    Larry Gordon

Perhaps perversely, I am glad that these problems are becoming more widespread. When I posted these issues last year I was left feeling it was me rather than Alpha at fault.

On a positive note, I have now gained a little more confidence in my own ability and my first point of call is reverting to earlier and more stable patches when problems arise - as opposed to spending hours looking for something that I have done wrong.

However, I have greatly improved stability by ensuring that all my PC's are running the latest MS updates, and I have also eliminated Norton. We now get far fewer issues, but just accept them and regularly backup and rebuild indexes. Fortunately our application is internal, as I certainly would not want to sell something as unstable.
    Larry Gordon

"Certified" Alphaholic richard2007's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Harris

just to add some weight to hopefully getting this fixed, i have these on a daily basis, adhoc, no specific action carried out just before the error, cant pin it down.

i too can not down grade as majority built in v9.

i have a firm who wants to buy my product, but i am stalling as its not saleable and therefore losing income.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

With the recent interest in this issue, and the sales that are being held up, why doesn't someone take the initiative to begin a thorough search for common denominators?

Operating system? workstation? server?
    RAM?
    Anti-Virus?
    CPU?
    Network characteristics?
    Video display adapter?
    Hardware acceleration for video enabled? i.e. is your video subsystem "sharing" main memory with your cpu?

Everyone is NOT having this issue. What do the troubled systems have in common?

Has anyone run their database after re-booting with a minimal configuration ? i.e. a "Safe" reboot? Do the errors still occur?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

Tom,

Here is a start, error occurs:

1. O/S = XP or Vista

2. Non networked, stand alone PC

3. Appears both during development and runtime

4. Still using the build 1772- 3208 (October 2008) so would be interested to know if any one using later builds experiences the error.

Michael
    www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk

Real Name
    James Vidmar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Humby View Post
    Tom,

Here is a start, error occurs:

1. O/S = XP or Vista

2. Non networked, stand alone PC

4. Still using the build 1772- 3208 (October 2008) so would be interested to know if any one using later builds experiences the error.

Michael
    www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk

Im using the latest build 2095_3264, and receive the error on one of 40 workstations several times a day.

1. OS = XP sp3

2. networked, Server2003 R2

4. Build 2095_3264

5. Mcafee AV 8.1 with exception for Alpha

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

A little more info from my end.....Improvement has been seen by my users....

I too am using the following:

1. OS = XP sp3

2. networked, Server2003 R2

3. Build 2095_3264 Unlimited RunEngine

4. TrendMicro Officescan with exception for Alpha

5. 1 GB Network

I am seeing less errors these days. Although one of the users got one today but it only showed when they hit my "Close Application" button. They sent me a screenshot and my app is closed and not visible but Alpha popped up the "Unhandled Exception" as soon as my app was not visible any longer.

Here is what I have done that seems to have helped.

1. Finally listened to Ira and made almost every piece of code into a function.:)
    2. Eliminated use or Alpha's "Companion Forms" - not sure if this is related or not but these were occassionally giving errors in bring up the companion form.
    3. Set up network optimization on work stations. - previously had not network optimized because if you look at the size of the files(DDD, DDX,DDM) on a 1GB network you would not think it would really matter. But, it seems to have helped some in the app's snappiness and stability. Although the speed difference is not dramatic.

Real Name
    Don Hawkins

I have run into the UNHANDLED EXCEPTION during development of a script on a A5w page using WIN2K on P4 1.8 system. I tested the script in A5V9 and it worked so I cut and pasted it to the page. ERROR occurred. I kept cutting it back until it went away at 217 lines. I click on OK and then hit the SAVE icon - NOERROR. I then added a line 218 -A COMMENT LINE and --- ERROR. I've killed all spyware and virus software -- NO JOY. I moved the entire system to my laptop running WINXP MC and what do you know -- JOY JOY -- But does that mean I can't run the web app on a WIN2k machine? Any help would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Dean Buccheri

I am also seeing this problem.

1. OS = XP sp3, All updates

2. networked, Server2008 All update

3. Build 2095_3264 Platinum and Unlimited RunEngine

4. CA Etrust

5. 100 BT network

6. Using both DBF's and Active Link tables (read only) MSSQL Server.

7. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2GHz w 3GB Ram.

On the full version for no reason I can figure out, I started receiving "unhandled exception" every time I opened a report and it was every report. It was many forms and and tabels as well. Also getting "relation corrupt" when attempting to open a set or a form with a set. In addition to this problem, A5 will start to run extremely slow and just lock up as well. Reboot PC, no help. Reboot Servier, no help, shutdown all other workstations, no help, Shut down CA-Anti Virus, no help, Killed all processes related to AV and anti spy, ran registry mechanic, all no help.

Finally Deleted all CDX as recommeneded above. Problem gone for now. We'll see if it comes back. I'm very surprised to see nobody from Alpha making a post on this subject.

Real Name
    Larry Gordon

I have a small confession to make...

I have been pulling my hair out for a about year trying to resolve the error problems. So, clutching at straws, a few weeks ago I ran the 'Network Optimise' routine - for the first time - and since then my error problems have all but vanished!

I am not really qualified to make intelligent comment, but my gut feel is that it is a timing issue, which only appears to affect Alpha V9. For example, sometimes one PC might complain that it cannot see a particular form, and yet the next PC can open it without problem.

The good news is, Optimizing the Network has totally improved my V9 experience.

Real Name
    Don Hawkins

The reason the laptop worked was because I had not installed the latest updates to A5V9. So I uninstalled A5V9 from my main system and just installed the original CDs and what do you know the exception went away. That is how I am running right now. I have to put up with other problems that were fixed with the updates. I am hoping that V10 will not have the problem.

Real Name
    Dean Buccheri

I just had an even wierder experience. I lost a bunch of forms. I went back to last nights backup and the forms were gone. I went back two days and they were there. I then tried to run the utility that another was generaous enough to post to "copy objects" and his utility wouldn't run. (not his fault). I then slowly started loosing access to all my forms and tables. They were giving me the relation corroupt or unhandled exception. So I repeated the process of deleting the CDX files, and I couldn't believe, but not only did the access errors go away, but my forms came back to life. I really think Larry is on to something with sync issues, and I am conviced that whatever the cause is that corrupt indexes are causing the problems. Is everybody that having this problem using indexes? I force my aplication upgrades out, but I just bumped up the version number in network optimize to make sure all workstations are the same as larry did. Will report in a few days if that helped.

Real Name
    Dean Buccheri

Ok, the sync of the workstation versions via network optimize didn't do the trick. Not only did I get this error again, and not only did I loose a bunch of forms, this time I lost the complete set. The only way I could get it back was to apply a backup and then overwrite the DBF files with current ones. What a mess.

Real Name
    Pete Whittet

For what it's worth, I've been running a standalone desktop bookkeeping app for my business under V9 Platinum for over a year now, and I have never had an "Unhandled Exception".

Except ... yesterday I ran Network Optimize, so that I can get to my app from my laptop over a wireless network, while my wife uses my desktop to check her emails. I installed the shadow DB on the laptop; everything works fine.

And today, on the desktop machine, running standalone, for the first time ever, I got an "Unhandled Exception".

I know it's not conclusive, but it points fairly strongly to the area of concern.

(I'm on XP Home SP3; V9 Platinum build 1847 3216, which seems to be the most stable for my setup.)

Pete

Real Name
    Dean Buccheri

Pete,
    I agreee. Just curious before you ran network optimize, and when you were running standalone, was your data file on your local harddrive or was it on a network drive?

It sems to me that this problem is indeed related to network usage as you suggest.

I wonder why nobody from ALPHA has chimed in yet.

Real Name
    Jeff Emery

As I mentioned in past posts, we run 40 workstations in a manufacturing environment. I took an informal 'departmental poll' today and found that, every day, every department gets one or more Unhandled Exceptions. Some get several. What is really sad is everyone now accepts it as a fact of life, and by inference, Alpha is an inferior piece of software. This is not a problem we experienced prior to V9, and I have been running Alpha software since A4, transitioning to A5 under V3.

So, it is a problem with V9, and it is discouraging that Alpha has been so quiet on the problem.

V9 has terrific features, and V10 looks to be more of the same, but the constant crashing pretty much makes it all irrelevant in the eyes of those that use the system.

I would not want to count the hours I have spent trying to fix the problem. Lets just say there are a lot more productive things I could have been doing with my time. It has been, and remains, discouraging.

All of our workstations run Network Optimized Shadow Data Bases. Their seems to be some who posted that believe the problem may be buried somewhere in the network optimization. I would be willing to reconfigure all of my workstations away from network optimization to see if that helps. I'll let you know.

Real Name
    Jeff Emery

One more thought. This problem is not related to complex routines, forms, etc. It occurs on a simple 'return to previous form' button, whose code has been generated by the genie. The button works 99 times, and on the 100th you get an Unhandled Exception.

This type of button would not need to access the server in a network optimized environment; which is why I've been sceptical that it is a networking type of problem. However, at this point I'm willing to try anything.

Real Name
    Alasdair MacTaggart

Thankfully, "Unhandled Exceptions" seem to be a thing of the past for us.

1. OS = Vista with all updates. All desktops will have dual core processors and have at least 2GB RAM. 50 Users in total with a normal level of 15 to 20 concurrent users.

2. Networked, Windows Server 2003 on HP Quad Core 3GHz server.

3. A5 v9 Build 2095_3264 Platinum and Unlimited RunEngine. One or two copies of V8 still installed.

4. Sophos Antivirus.

5. Gigabit network with new switches and appropriate network cards.

6. Using only DBF at present.

To be fair, Unhandled Exceptions were a rarity on our old servers/network and PCs.

What I have noticed since moving to Vista is the occasional visit of the "spinning wheel" and a note to say that the "application has stopped responding".

A "stopped responding" incident can be brought on by, for example, "impatient, multiple clicking of a button. This is not usually fatal and order is usually restored after a minute or so. This is not restricted to Alpha 5 and I have seen it happen to Lotus Notes, Firefox and MS Word.
    Alasdair MacTaggart
    Glasgow
    UK

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Quote Originally Posted by jeffemery View Post
    As I mentioned in past posts, we run 40 workstations in a manufacturing environment. I took an informal 'departmental poll' today and found that, every day, every department gets one or more Unhandled Exceptions. Some get several. What is really sad is everyone now accepts it as a fact of life, and by inference, Alpha is an inferior piece of software. This is not a problem we experienced prior to V9, and I have been running Alpha software since A4, transitioning to A5 under V3.

So, it is a problem with V9, and it is discouraging that Alpha has been so quiet on the problem.
    I agree Jeff and can sense/share your frustration. The users form a perception...software such as this has to just work...all the time. It sure would be nice if someone from Alpha would say one way or the other if they are working on this or if this is a non-issue to them.

V9 has terrific features, and V10 looks to be more of the same, but the constant crashing pretty much makes it all irrelevant in the eyes of those that use the system.
    Very well said Jeff.

All of our workstations run Network Optimized Shadow Data Bases. Their seems to be some who posted that believe the problem may be buried somewhere in the network optimization. I would be willing to reconfigure all of my workstations away from network optimization to see if that helps. I'll let you know.
    Since my earlier post on this subject, I had to abandon Network Optimization on the app in question because Network Optimization cannot deal with image reference fields properly (but that is another story).

Anyway, currently I am (luckily) experiencing hardly any unhandled exception errors. Here is a summary of the client's current configuration that is working satisfactorily at the moment.

1. Changed all network cards to 1GB. I believe network speed and the speed of the computers attached make a difference...but I could be wrong.
    2. Make sure to do a Database Compact after any new development.
    3. I rebuilt all indexes to their original specs using Cal Locklin's Index Rebuild Utility.
    4. Make sure all spyware and antivirus software COMPLETELY ignores the Alpha Program Directory as well as the entire data directory.

Just thought I would throw it out as another piece to the pie...

Jeff

Real Name
    Pete Whittet

Quote Originally Posted by dbuccheri View Post
    Pete,
    I agreee. Just curious before you ran network optimize, and when you were running standalone, was your data file on your local harddrive or was it on a network drive?

It sems to me that this problem is indeed related to network usage as you suggest.

I wonder why nobody from ALPHA has chimed in yet.
    Hi Dean, sorry for the delay. The data sits on my desktop machine's local hard drive, and is used stand-alone nearly all the time. In this instance, I guess the desktop's local drive took on the role of a network drive, as I was accessing it from the laptop, over our home wireless network.

I haven't had a problem with it since, fingers crossed, but the problem is obviously affecting many people. It would be nice to get a statement from Alpha as to whether or not they intend to try to sort it out, so that we know where we stand.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Well..I spoke too soon. I had a customer get 2 of these so far today.....who knows.......

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

I personally don't think it is a network problem, since I often see unhandled error appear on stand alone PCs and Laptops.

Michael

Real Name
    Dean Buccheri

I agree that it would be nice to have somebody from Alpha show some interested in this issue. I will say that my situation got much better when I moved my database from a SBS2008 server to a Windows 2003 server.

Looking at the last couple responses however, I don't think anything is conclusive other than many customers are having a problem, many of us have worked hard to help each other, and nothing from Alpha.

It seems that all the energey is being focused on V10, and the loyal customers of V9 are forgotten. I

Very Frustrating.

Real Name
    Alasdair MacTaggart

I have just encountered the first of these in a long time.

The message:

"SCRIPT:UI_DLG_BOX:define Link line:206
    Validate_data(vl)
    An unhandled exception was generated"

What was I doing?

Changing a file in a Set but forgetting to delete the link prior to replacing it with a new file. The error appeared when I pasted the link into the expression builder (the link is a concatenation of fields).

Nothing much happened when I dismissed the error message other than getting a message to advise me of the error of my ways (i.e., delete the old link first). There was no immediate need to close the application or Alpha5.

Have tried to replicate the event but, on subsequent attempts, I am only told the "Child Key Expression is not valid".

Al
    Alasdair MacTaggart
    Glasgow
    UK

Real Name
    Bill Warner

I've seen this error on stand-alone computers, and on networks, so I don't think the network optimization is the sole culprit (although it might be contributing the the problem). I've seen it on XP and Vista computers, so no obvious help there, either.

What's worse, I've had the program completely lock on me (without the courtesy of the "unhandled exception" error message), sometimes repeatedly. One horrific example was when I was working with my customer using GoToMyPC - V9 locked about 30 times in one hour (this is NOT an exaggeration!). I suspect GoToMyPC was in part to blame, but then again I've used that program for years with no problems when using earlier versions of Alpha. There's something wrong if the memory resources used by GoToMyPC are such that V9 cannot coexist in the same memory environment (and, before you ask, I have a Quad-Core computer with 4 GB of RAM, which should provide more than enough resources).

Bottom line - if many of you have apps that worked well in V8 but have these problems in V9, there's not much doubt that V9 has a problem.

Alpha, I hope you're listening - the natives are getting restless.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Bill,
    if many of you have apps that worked well in V8 but have these problems in V9
    That may be a key point/way to help figure it out...I do think it is memory related and not a conflict...but again, no proof. How would you go about proving this anyway?? May do a bit of research on just that but do not think there is a direct method to do so.

(BTW 4 gigs of memory, unless on a 64 system, can only utilize a bit over 3 gigs---which still should be ample I agree!)
    Mike

Alpha Software Employee Richard Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Bill

Our development team is happy to assist you!

I just received this message from one of our developers
    Thanks Richard

"Bill

We have repeatedly requested a copy of your application to test. However, you have not sent it - so we can't test it to determine what the problem may be.

The only memory related errors I have seen are on systems that are running on very low resources, either from a small amount of actual RAM or running many resource hungry application simultaneously. Then Windows resorts to page swapping, which can cause timing issues and other major slowdowns. But these are extreme cases.

If you want us to find your problem, we need an example so we can simulate your conditions. Otherwise, we are just guessing."
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

FWIW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Humby View Post
    I personally don't think it is a network problem, since I often see unhandled error appear on stand alone PCs and Laptops.
    I, too, have had customers with these issues when running on stand alone PCs. I've had more "weird issues" than I've had unhandled exceptions but I have had unhandled exceptions.

What I have noticed is that the issues generally seem to occur when usage gets heavier. I can't prove it but it seems to be related to how many forms are getting opened and closed. Many of my customers tend to be low usage most of the day then get busier about 3:00 in the afternoon. Problems usually start around 4:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_MacT View Post
    ...The message:

"SCRIPT:UI_DLG_BOX:define Link line:206
    Validate_data(vl)
    An unhandled exception was generated"
    This "UI_DLG_BOX" error has actually become so common that I've had to tell a number of users that the only solution when that happens is to shut down the application and restart it. Sometimes they can continue without restarting but, when they do, it isn't long before other strange things start happening.

One rather unusual solution I've verified is that simply logging in remotely with LogMeIn will often (but not always) solve the problem. I use LogMeIn with many of my clients and began to see the pattern so I finally did a couple "tests" with one particular client. She made sure she could repeat the error (whatever error happened to crop up that day) by doing "it" 3 times in a row, called me, and I simply logged in but did not do anything else - not even move my mouse - once I could see her screen. As soon as I was logged in she tried to create the error the same way she had before but now it was "fixed". I've now done this twice with her. I'm trying to convince her to move back to v8 and see if that will solve her problems.

By the way, the customer mentioned above bought the computer just to run my program. It has 2 meg of memory, XP, and a decent processor. She has Office 2007 on the system but it is seldom used/running. Most times when I log in to her system, my app is the only thing in the Applications tab of the Task Manager. She does have a laptop networked in - hard wired - but it is seldom used unless her daughter is home from college and helping her out with the business.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

Likewise, I cannot pin point this or replicate the error and my customers are all using the same application, some get the error others do not. However during development I can see this a lot when making changes to custom menus and toolbars on reports. (I can live with the error during development)

My applications have been moved up from V4.5 so I have always assumed the error may be associated with the upgrade.

I am still using an earlier V9 build because of another related problem that occurs in the latest build so I have always assumed the error may be associated with the build.

I would like to know from any one out there who experiences this error so that I can eliminate the possible causes:

1. Are your applications moved up from V4.5?
    2. Are you using the latest V9 build?
    3. Does anyone else during development get a hang after closing with Alpha toolbar still showing on the desktop and the only way to get rid is ctrl-alt-del?

I personally think that the error may be connected to custom menus and toolbars

Michael
    Last edited by Michael Humby; 08-18-2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: add another line

Real Name
    Dean Buccheri

The short answer to all three of your questions from me are yes.

RWe don't have wimpy computers here. All are XP pro with a miniumum of 2G, and 3 in most cases. Don't have a lot of resources running. MS-Office. MOA Accounting, A very small VOIP utility and that is it. Problem still occurs when all that stuff is off.

We are using active link tables which I am curious to know if other's experiencing the problem are. I have other posts out there with other issues with active link tables as well.

Again, I am amazed that switching from the SBS Server to the Win 2003 server reduced the problems by 80%. So while I don't exactly agree with that the problm is 100% resources, I do think that does play a little to exasperate the problem.

I do echo everyone else though that I NEVER (NEVER EVER) had this problem is V8. The only difference between V8 and V9 appliation was to convert passive links to active links.

Regarding the request for sending the application from Richard to Bill, sometimes that is easier said than done. This is especially try in my case where the entire appliation revolves around a SQL Server / Windows Server / MOA server that can not easily be compressed into a zip file and emailed. It seems with the number of people complaining that this problem is not isolated to Bill's mine or anyone else's application.