Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Based Calendar Example

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Web Based Calendar Example

Hi Ron,

I have been messing with the next and previous script today but only with minor success. The implemention for Gary is slightly different because he uses the session.showdate variable with the changes he made to the calendar for his implemtation. I am experiencing brain lock or something because I cannot get it to work in the example I posted where you can choose the filter, month, year.

What I am seeing is that I can change the session.currmonth variable on the prevmonth.a5w page but when the reponse.direct goes back to the main vacation.a5w page it gets set right back to the original value. Maybe I need a break! :)

Very slick idea on Gary's part in my opinion....I am just struggling with the implementation.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Gary or Ron:
      can you post an updated zip file with the calendar changes?

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Ron and Jeff,

Why would you need this code anyway since you have a drop down that selects a month and then you press a refresh button? But, I would look for a way to take the currently selected month, create a date within that month, use the addmonths function to increase or decrease the month by 1, and then use the code that you have in the refresh button to refresh the page. Something like that should work I would think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie,

I posted my complete code above. Is there something else that you need?

Gary
        Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Hi Gary

I just think it will be easier for the user - I agree the drop down functionality is there and works well. I have now worked out the next and previous hyperlinks and even accounted for changing of years if hitting next or previous moves to the next year.

In my testing it is indeed easier to move ahead and back within the months using the hyperlinks.

I will post an example shortly with all the changes I have incorporated from you, Ron and Stephen.

My solution involves doing something similar to what you just wrote. Thanks again for your help with the prev and next a5w pages using response.redirect.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Attached is my version of the updated Web Calendar with the improvements others have made / suggested in this thread.

To summarize what is included in the sample:

1. 2 different a5w pages of note - vacation.a5w and vacationprevnext.a5w
            The previous and next page will allow the clicking of a hyperlink to scroll forward and back in the month versus choosing form the dropdown. Just a little quicker and easier for the user. Thanks to Dr. Gary Traub for the advice on how to accomplish this.

2. The selection of records has been taken out of the "For" loops to maximize speed. The original was proved too slow if there were a lot of appts. Thanks to Dr. Gary and Ron Leunis.

3. Extraneous week rows are now removed if they are not needed - thanks to Stephen Pilon for the code

4. Cell background colors are now set for just the current month for easy viewing. Thanks again to Stephen. This is slightly different than Stephen's implementation because I did not need the week highlighted

5. Calendar cell height is now set to a default size - Thanks to Ron Leunis

I think that about covers the improvements incorporated in this example.

Attached are a couple screen shots as well.

The one issue I am having is on the vacationPrevNext.a5w - the employee filter will not stick when hitting the prev and next buttons. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I would appreciate it.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Good work!

I've got another enhancement.

change the line between the else and end if to be:

?"<td vAlign=top><font size=2 color='#ffffff'>"+day(dd)+"</font></td>"+crlf()

The color (#ffffff) sets the font of the numbers for the days that do not belong to the current month, to a color of white, which against the white background, makes them invisible, thus resulting in a calendar that looks the way it should, i.e., only the correct days of the month are displayed.

Gary
              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Thanks Gary...it has been a good project for me since I am still pretty new to the webside. As has been said many times, this message board is just great! Thanks again for all of you help.

I've got another enhancement.

change the line between the else and end if to be:

?"<td vAlign=top><font size=2 color='#ffffff'>"+day(dd)+"</font></td>"+crlf()

The color (#ffffff) sets the font of the numbers for the days that do not belong to the current month, to a color of white, which against the white background, makes them invisible, thus resulting in a calendar that looks the way it should, i.e., only the correct days of the month are displayed.
                Nice / Clever idea! Thanks!

Jeff

Comment

jeff:
                  Open vacationprevnext
                  Select the year 2008
                  click refresh
                  the year changes to 2009

Any Ideas
                  Charlie Crimmel

Comment

In the Nextmonth and prevmonth a5w
                    newmonth seems to be holding the lastentry
                    clean out newmonth
                    newmonth = ""
                    fixed my problem

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Charlie,

Where did you put that in the code?

Jeff

Comment

I put the code in nextmonth.a5w and prevmonth.a5w
                        Dim newmonth as d
                        newmonth=""
                        newmonth=addmonths(session.prevnextdate,1)
                        session.newmonth=cmonth(newmonth)
                        if month(newmonth)=1 'january
                        session.newyear=year(session.prevnextdate)+1
                        end if

response.redirect("VacationPrevnext.a5w")

Also
                        I was hoping that someone could figure out:
                        If there are several activities for the same date, show a more records link and open up a listing for that day.
                        that would keep the calendar from growing.

thanks
                        Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Attached is a new version of the Calendar that display's a "Multiple Entries..." hyperlink in the day cell if there are more than 3 entries for that day. When you click on the "Multiple Entries..." hyperlink in the calendar it displays an a5w page with a read only grid showing all the entries for that day. The only trick I had to do was to take my normal date field in the grid and make a calculated field out of it that was a character type. By doing so I could pass the filter to the a5w page in the url based on the date character string (hope that made sense).

See attached screenshot.

Regards,

Jeff
                          Last edited by jkletrovets; 11-21-2008, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X