Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Based Calendar Example

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Web Based Calendar Example

RE 1:

a) You can set the table width f.i. to 1200 (if your screen supports this number) , by
    <table width="1246" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="center" style="width: 1246px; height: 94px ">

b) And set the column width by 150 (when using 8 columns)
    but the actual content will force a cell bigger if it does not fits into it anyway.

?"<td vAlign=top width=150 height=60 " + iif(dd=date(),"bgcolor='#fafa80'",iif(between(dd-date()+dow(date()),1,7),"bgcolor='#fafad2'","")) + "><font size=4 style='font-weight:bold;' >&nbsp;" + day(dd)+"</font><br>"+crlf()

Re 2:

I guess you will have to count the number of entries within a cell within the <for next loop> filling them.
    If greater than limit (say 5), then display a more link and exit the for next loop.
    I think this would be in the loop: for each appt in appts

Re 3:

I have a version now which connects to a Oracle DB. I used a view defintion where in the select statement, I only select the entries >= sysdate. This will give me the future entries only. The underlying table has more than 50.000 records. The selected entries are average 150 spread over a month. loads in 3-4 seconds.
    regards, Ron
    Last edited by rleunis; 11-15-2008, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Re3:

I am not sure I understand what is accounting for the increased speed? The use of Oracle as opposed to alpha's native dbf's, or the filter.

And I am not sure I see where the filter is speeding anything up because there is already a filter that selects appointments just for a particular user and month.

Could you please explain a bit more?

Gary
      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Hi Gary,

Yes it seems up to a number of appointments all goes reasonably fast, but when it gets more than a certain limit it goes slower and slower. I tried with more than 250 appts and it then it certainly takes more than 10+ seconds.

I think it is because the appts are filled within a couple of for next loops and the whole lot is loaded each time for each day within the weeks of a month..And only then the filter is applied. I wonder if it make more sense to load the appts like the catlist above in the page and filter on that in the loops, if possible. I am going to dig into this more...
        regards, Ron

Comment

Hi Ron,

Thanks fo getting back to me. I agree. And it seems to me that the calendar as it is, is perfect for those where there they expect only a few appointments in any particular day (cell). However, once we start talking about busy medical/attorney/etc type offices, where there can be 20 to 30 or more appointments per day, then the load time is prohibitive. I just tested on my computer and it takes approx 17 seconds to load a calendar with the average day having 12 to 20 appointments.

I am thinking that it may be better in these cases to have the cell display one simple link that says something like: "14 Appointments" - which is then a clickable link to the popup. But this time the popup will show a tabular grid of all the appointments for that cell. This way, there would be a maximum of 31 entries to load, and it would always be very quick, and the user would then just have to click the link to see all the appointments. Not ideal perhaps, but I cannot think of another way to speed this up to where it would be useful in a busy practice.

What do you think?

Gary
          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Gary,

attached a revised first attempt of trying to improve on the loading time. I moved the table.external_record_content_get above the for next loops.

And added a test in the for each appt in appts loop:
            if left(word(appt,1),10) = left(dtoc(dd),10). Which only displays the content into the cell when the date of the appointment is of the current cell. This works for me and speed is very much better.

Because I am not at all experienced in XBASIC (Just starting to understand XBASIC), I haven't yet got the other tests in. Also the formatting in the cells needs to be improved.

I am giving this already so you can test whether this improves loading time for you. If it does , maybe you can help me with the things I did not get right yet. regards, Ron

Comment

Hi Ron,

I had trouble looking at your download because I have downloaded several before and do not remember which is which, plus I had changed it to suit my own situation.

However, you really got me thinking with the idea of putting the table.external etc statement before the for loops.

I have rewritten the routine without using the table.external etc statement, and instead using a query, but as you suggest, prior to the for loops.

I now have decreased the load time from approx 17 seconds or more to just 1 second! I am tweaking the code and should be able to post it in a little bit ...
              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Here is my revised code:

session.currMonth = cmonth(ctod(session.showdate))
                session.currYear=year(ctod(session.showdate))

dim tdate1 as d
                dim tdate2 as d
                tdate1=month_start(ctod(session.showdate))
                tdate2=month_end(ctod(session.showdate))

month=month(ctod(session.showdate))

start_day=tdate1

dim dd as d
                dim nw as n
                nw = ceiling((day(month_end(start_day)) + dow(start_day) - 1) / 7)

if dow(start_day)>1 then
                start_day=start_day-dow(start_day)+1
                end if

order="cdate(Date)+str(Timesort,19,5)"
                filter="between(date,tdate1,tdate2)"
                filter=filter+".and. prov='"+session.showprov+"'"
                dim tbl as p
                tbl=table.open("[PathAlias.adb_path]\appointments")
                query.filter=filter
                query.order=order
                query.options=""
                tbl.query_create()

for nweek=1 to nw 'rows of calendar
                ? "<tr>"
                for nday=0 to 6 'columns (days of week)
                dd=start_day+nday+((nweek-1)*7)
                if month(dd)=month then
                ?"<td vAlign=top width=500 height=60 " + iif(dd=date(),"bgcolor='#fafa80'",iif(between(dd-date()+dow(date()),1,7),"bgcolor='#fafad2'","")) + "><font size=2 style='font-weight:900;' >&nbsp;" + day(dd)+"</font><br>"+crlf()
                tbl.fetch_first()
                while .not. tbl.fetch_eof()
                if day(tbl.date)=day(dd)
                url = "calevent.a5w?calevent_filter=chargeno="+tbl.chargeno
                display=tbl.time+" "+left(tbl.fullname,9)
                ?"<font size=2><a href=\"javascript: void(0)\" onclick=\"window.open('"+url+"','windowname1','scrollbars=1, width=330, height=430'); return false;\">"+display+"</font></a>"+"<br>"
                end if
                tbl.fetch_next()
                end while
                ? "</td>"+crlf()
                else
                ?"<td vAlign=top><font size=2>"+day(dd)+"</font></td>"+crlf()
                end if
                next nday
                ? "</tr>"+crlf()
                next nweek

tbl.close()

Please note that my implementation of the form is a bit different than what was posted previously. I have no dropdowns. In my case, the user is in my main scheduler, on a particular day and doctor. When the user clicks a link to show the month view, session.showdate and session.showprov are used to form the basis of filters in the month view calendar. This works beatutifully for me. It loads in less than a second for months that have just a few appointments, and in a second or so in months with MANY appointments.

Gary
                Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Hi Gary,

Yes there was certainly a flaw in the original setup: it was reading all the appointments for each occurance in the cell over and over. No wonder it took a lot of time when number of occurances grow.

I like your approach with reading first and then next until eof. Brings back memories on how I used to approach reading records with cobol / rpg400 some decades ago...

But I certainly need to dig more into this xbasic. Just baffled with all the type conversions and " and ' one has to use to get it all working...But I am pleased with the speed increase as compared to using standard grids. Just wonder why your version shows such an increase in speed since you also fetch all the records within one day, testing whether it is in the day..

Once i get my version working with the original filters and dropdowns I will post again here. regards, Ron
                  Last edited by rleunis; 11-17-2008, 04:06 AM.

Comment

"Just wonder why your version shows such an increase in speed since you also fetch all the records within one day, testing whether it is in the day.."

Because the big slow down came from opening the table and retrieving all the records from the server each day - My approach opens the table only once and retrieves those records once - I did think about now that the table had been opened before the for loops, then fetching thru the list sequentially by date such that nov 4 would stop before nov 5, then nov5 would start with the first nov5 and stop before nov 6 and so on, but my approach was so fast that I did not see the need to tweak any further.

Gary
                    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Ah, what the heck. I revised the code slightly to do as I described above. Now, instead of approx one second, it works a little faster. Notice the 3 changes:

session.currMonth = cmonth(ctod(session.showdate))
                      session.currYear=year(ctod(session.showdate))

dim tdate1 as d
                      dim tdate2 as d
                      tdate1=month_start(ctod(session.showdate))
                      tdate2=month_end(ctod(session.showdate))

month=month(ctod(session.showdate))

start_day=tdate1

dim dd as d
                      dim nw as n
                      nw = ceiling((day(month_end(start_day)) + dow(start_day) - 1) / 7)

if dow(start_day)>1 then
                      start_day=start_day-dow(start_day)+1
                      end if

order="cdate(Date)+str(Timesort,19,5)"
                      filter="between(date,tdate1,tdate2) .and. pracid='"+session.pracid+"'"
                      filter=filter+".and. prov='"+session.showprov+"'"
                      dim tbl as p
                      tbl=table.open("[PathAlias.adb_path]\appointments")
                      query.filter=filter
                      query.order=order
                      query.options=""
                      tbl.query_create()

for nweek=1 to nw 'rows of calendar
                      ? "<tr>"
                      for nday=0 to 6 'columns (days of week)
                      dd=start_day+nday+((nweek-1)*7)
                      if month(dd)=month then
                      ?"<td vAlign=top width=500 height=60 " + iif(dd=date(),"bgcolor='#fafa80'",iif(between(dd-date()+dow(date()),1,7),"bgcolor='#fafad2'","")) + "><font size=2 style='font-weight:900;' >&nbsp;" + day(dd)+"</font><br>"+crlf()
                      'tbl.fetch_first() ' added this for Ron
                      while .not. tbl.fetch_eof()
                      if day(tbl.date)=day(dd)
                      url = "calevent.a5w?calevent_filter=chargeno="+tbl.chargeno
                      display=tbl.time+" "+left(tbl.fullname,9)
                      ?"<font size=2><a href=\"javascript: void(0)\" onclick=\"window.open('"+url+"','windowname1','scrollbars=1, width=330, height=430'); return false;\">"+display+"</font></a>"+"<br>"
                      else ' added this for Ron
                      exit while ' added this for Ron
                      end if
                      tbl.fetch_next()
                      end while
                      ? "</td>"+crlf()
                      else
                      ?"<td vAlign=top><font size=2>"+day(dd)+"</font></td>"+crlf()
                      end if
                      next nday
                      ? "</tr>"+crlf()
                      next nweek

tbl.close()

Gary
                      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Great ! Thanks Gary,

Now there are 2 possible approaches:
                        1) create a one time list using get_external etc outside the main loop and work with that to select what needs to be displayed within the loops
                        2) Open the table outside the loop and fetch records and display when criteria are met within the loop

Both methods are a big improvement ! Ron

Comment

No problem, and a big thank you to you too!!!

Gary
                          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Thanks Dr. Gary and Ron! I have now incorporated the changes you made for speeding up retrieval of the records into my app. I had not noticed the slow down yet since there are not many records yet to display but I used your code to eliminate future problems. Thanks!

Stephen - I incorporated many of the enhancements you made as well so thank you too!

Do any of you know how we could incorporate a forward and reverse button to cycle ahead and back one month at a time if the user pressed those buttons?

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Use 2 links, one called Prev Month and the other called Next Month.

Each of these then goes to their own a5w page.

Each of those pages has just a simple Xbasic script, and then reloads the Calendar page

The script for Prev_Month.a5w would be

dim tdate as d
                              tdate=ctod(session.showdate)
                              tdate=addmonths(tdate,-1)
                              session.showdate=dtoc(tdate)
                              response.redirect("Calendar")

The script for Next_Month.a5w would be:

dim tdate as d
                              tdate=ctod(session.showdate)
                              tdate=addmonths(tdate,1)
                              session.showdate=dtoc(tdate)
                              response.redirect("Calendar")
                              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Gary, is it possible to put this a5w code into buttons directly? How? Ron

Comment

Working...
                                X