Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Simple way to hide a column?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple way to hide a column?

The attached file shows a simple parent/child Form view. Is there any way I can hide a column in the child?

Please see that attached screen shot. I want to hide the Subexpedition_id column. Its a auto-incrementing key field meant to support later sets which use the subexpedition table as a parent. I don't want users changing the values in this field, for obvious reasons. (I don't even want ME changing values in this field!)

I'm a newbie, and I'm a bit surprised there aren't more obvious non-code options to hide columns, like auto-incrementing key fields, that users shouldn't be messing with.

Thanks much!

-Kurt Euler

Re: Simple way to hide a column?

Hello Kurt

If I understand you, simplified, you have one table with ExpeditionID that is linked to a child table via the SubexpeditionID in a set. Do you want the Expedition ID to be autoincrement? Do you want the subexpedtionID to be hidden?

I recreated two tables with the parent table titled Expedition. I created a single field "ExpeditionID" set as a numeric field.

The second table had subexpeditionID and a field titled description.

I then created a set linking ExpeditionID and subexpeditionID in a one to many relationship.

When I viewed the set, the subexpeditionID was hidden.

Comment

Kurt,
      If you don't want to see a column, then simply do not have it as a field in the browse. If it is necessary to have the field on the form then there is a property setting that can be used to hide this. If hiding it via the property checkbox causes problems where Alpha cannot "see" its value and its value is needed, then don't check the property Hide box, but instead set its color properties to match your form and then disable it. If you want to be able to hide and then unhide the browse column then that is also easy to do by setting the column width to 0 to hide and then to whatever width is wanted to unhide it.

I cannot imagine many more ways to do this or even any easier ways that could be wanted or expected for that matter!! :) But then maybe I just am not understanding exactly what is wanted in this case....

Regarding the not wanting users or yourself changing the auto-increment field...if you are talking about the field rules auto-increment, then no worries as it cannot be changed unless it is changed to User Entered in field rules. For User Entered fields if the Skip field in the field rules is set to .T. then noone can change it when on a form.....
      Mike

Comment

I'm a bit surprised there aren't more obvious non-code options to hide columns, like auto-incrementing key fields, that users shouldn't be messing with.
        Right. By default the autoinc field rule will supply suggested field values for new records, but the user can edit them at will. Edits can be suppressed in a variety of easy ways. The skip field rule comes to mind for example.

When you work with a set based form, Alpha will automatically suppress the display of the link field for the child table. It will supply the necessary value automatically to maintain the link between parent and child. Edits to the child table link field have to be done in a form based only on that table.

In addition to what's been said thus far, you can always delete the column from the embedded browse object. Select the column with left mouse clicks, then right click. Delete is an option on the right click menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
          Right. By default the autoinc field rule will supply suggested field values for new records, but the user can edit them at will.
          I take a great deal of caution diagreeing with Tom, but I don't believe that a user can amend a value in a field set in field rules to auto increment. I believe the field rule must be suspended first.
          Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
            I take a great deal of caution diagreeing with Tom, but I don't believe that a user can amend a value in a field set in field rules to auto increment.
            Mike

Actually Tom is right. ( as usual )

You can test this with a very simple example.
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD
            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hi Al,
              Of course I made an example and tested it. Please show me that you can change the value of the field test_id set to character data field rule auto increment in this example without changing the field rule.
              Mike W

Comment

Mike, you cannot change the autoinc field value for records that have been saved already. You CAN change the "suggested" autoinc field value when supplied for a new record. Perhaps my language could have been clearer, but in my defense the only time the field rule "suggests" a new incremented field value is when the user is entering a new record and I think it's pretty clear (naturally, since I wrote it!) that I was speaking of manually changing the incremented value in a new record before it's saved.

Your database illustrates this beautifully. Can't change existing autoinc field values, can change the "suggested" value generated for a new record, before it's saved.

This has always been true.

-- tom

Comment

Tom, Al,
                  HA! How funny how we see thing some times. Please excuse me. :o

Kurt wrote:
                  I don't want users changing the values in this field,...
                  I immediately translated the plural in 'values' into more than one record and therefore would have to be values of existing records already set. I furthered this with Tom's plural writing:
                  ...but the user can edit them at will.
                  I have to admit that going back and reading Tom's reply, it should have been more apparent to me he was referring to unsaved values.

Thanks for the insight.
                  Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
                    Hi Al,
                    Of course I made an example and tested it. Please show me that you can change the value of the field test_id set to character data field rule auto increment in this example without changing the field rule.
                    Mike

Tom's clarification helps explain the situation.

Attached is an image of your example where I changed the value of the suggested autoid prior to a save of the record.

I was able to make the value higher than the largest value already on file. If I tried to over-ride to a value lower I was over-ridden by the field rule.

You are correct that once saved, the value can't be changed. Thank goodness for that... There would be a lot of orphans around if that could happen...

Edit: Got a little cross-talk there... I see you came to the same conclusion. It is good to get items like this clarified...
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Since this was posted in the web server section, my first reaction was:

If you use an updatable grid then use control type LABEL for the autoincrement field. This way users cannot update them.

Also in the ROW PROPERTIES you check the hide column, if you do not want users to see the auto increment field (If it's used for internal reasons only)..

But then I saw this post is referring to forms and sets..

regards, Ron
                      Last edited by rleunis; 11-06-2008, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Ron, good point. I've been thinking desktop, overlooking the fact that the original post was for a web server app. -- tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                          Ron, good point. I've been thinking desktop, overlooking the fact that the original post was for a web server app. -- tom
                          Tom

I thought that too, but the image in the first post is a desktop form, not a web form.

So this is merely posted in the wrong forum. But it would change the answer if it was really a web app, eh?
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Al, I would hope not, but I don't have experience with auto-inc fields in web server applications. So I guess someone else needs to chime in if that's the direction this thread needs to go.

-- tom

Comment

Mike W,
                              If it helps...I read Tom's post the same way as you, but had to leave and so didn't have time to respond as you did!! :)

Al,
                              I seem to remember that the auto-increment field rule does traverse to the web side and would imagine the same logic/rules apply as far as having the ability to change it to a higher, different from suggested, value....but only if it has not been saved prior...but someone such as Steve Workings or Steve Wood would have to verify.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X