Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Double Inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Inserts

I am using Alpha v9 with a connection to a SQL Server DB. I created 2 grids (master-detail) and I linked them.

When I add a new record in the child grid, it creates 2 new records. When updating a record this message is displayed but the update takes place.

"Record was not updated because another user changed the record. (Write conflicts found in these fields: Menu_Name )"

Thank you for helping a newbie. Any help is very appreciated.

M

Re: Double Inserts

Don't know about the double update without more info (like your DB and components attached).
    Re the locking problem: did you open more than one tab in your browser updating using the same grid? If so, and both were changed you will get this message. System is warning you that more than one user is trying to update same record. regards, Ron

Comment

Ron,

Thank you for your response.

For the DB, as I said I am using SQL Server and I am using AlphaADO to connect to it. I created a non updatable grid for the parent (Categories) and an updatable (Delete, Update and Insert) grid for the child (Sections) then I created a link between both with the Category_Id as the link. When I run the page the retrieval works fine but when I add a new record it doubles the insert.

As far the locking problem, I open only one tab when testing the page.

Thanks for your help again.

Mohamed

Comment

Hi Mohamed,

Did you find a solution to this "double insert" problem? I seem to be having the same issue.

Thanks,
        Bill

Comment

I ended redoing the entire page. I am unable to reproduce the issue but I dropped Alpha 5 as my development tool for a while. I went back to VS 2008.

M

Comment

Thanks Mohamed,

I was afraid that was the answer...

Seems like this one has me stumped...
            (I'm using the built-in database)

Here is the component, if anyone can take a look... Cause I'm not sure where to look!

I've tried putting this control into an A5W page all on it's own and it works fine.

HOWEVER, when I include the control in an A5W page along with my A5 navigation menu, it double-inserts.

Thanks ahead of time!
            Bill
            Last edited by billkay; 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Bump...

Now, out of the blue... I've got triple inserts happening!

I press "ADD" once, on a new record, and it inserts it 3 times into the table.

Can anyone give me a hint as to where to diagnose this problem? or a method to debug?

Seems it has something to do with my menus, as the web-control on it's own A5W page doesn't misbehave.

My evaluation period is running out.

Thanks,
              Bill

Comment

Bill,

It would help if you supply your database or at least the customer table files.
                Also did you see the link:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=39380

It mentions a similar problem some years ago...

Comment

Hi Ron,

Thanks for that... I've attempted to "adjust" things based on that thread,but seems either I'm missing what's wrong, or it's something else.

I'm attaching the database and the forms (I hope I've included everything to help).

Thank you for any suggestions!
                  Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill.

I opened your files in a new project and had the same problem.

Then I noticed that in your CALLENTRY.a5w page there are a couple of entries (3) for the component you are using... Probably this happened while you tried to get the input form above the details section.

Solution:

Delete the old CALLENTRY.a5w page. Create a new one and insert the CALLSENTRY.a5wcmp. Then move the data section under the Detail section (apparently you want it this way), save and republish.

See attached pic. the AAA and "Address somewhere" entries were done with your old page. The BBB, CCC and DDD entries were done with the new page..

I also attahced the revised page.

regards, Ron
                    Last edited by rleunis; 01-28-2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much Ron!

I feel quite silly not figuring that one out... I've been beating my head against the wall with the "field rules" thinking there was something in there...

Thanks again!
                      Bill

Comment

Glad you beat me to this one. I just ran into the 3 peat problem too. Seems the A5w pages don;t clean up as you might expect when doing modifications.

Sure enough - blow away the A5W and start it over is the magic. I thought REFRESH was for the listings (directory). If I read you right above - this refreshes the A5W code???
                        David Shaw
                        Manager of Media Services and User Support
                        Cleveland Museum of Art
                        Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

If you delete a component from a page in WYSIWYG, save the page before you reinsert another component. The save process will prompt you to delete the removed code, and will clean up the page.

Comment

Working...
                          X