Alpha Video Training

Thread: Automatic email notices

Real Name
    Steve Layton

Default Automatic email notices

Does anyone have any experience or, perhaps, even some code they would share to create an automatic email notice function from date fields? My intended use is to have notice dates automatically generate notices to a predetermined contact list as those dates mature.

Real Name
    Olga

Default Re: Automatic email notices

Hi Steve,

In my application I send users notification messages in case there expiration date is close. People here from the messageboard recommended me several approaches to do this:
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=74716

My configuration is as follows: I have an a5w script that generates messages for a given list of contacts under the given circumstances.
    Then I have a Windows scheduler job configured to run wget utility every night at 3am, wget in its turn calls my a5w script, script is executed and emails are sent.

Hope this helps,
    Olga

Real Name
    Steve Layton

Thank you for the prompt reply. This is exactly what I want to do. Unfortunately, I am just getting into A5w and, although I know enough to create components and then pages from those components, I don't know anything about code and scripts. Would you be willing to share, or sell, your solution? If it is bad form even to ask, then I apologize, but please blame it on inexperience.

Real Name
    Olga

Steve,

Sure I can send you the script, but I'm not sure that it will be possible for you to use it as is, since my application has different databases structure than yours, you will anyway need to significantly redesign it.

The other important thing is how many emails and how often you are going to send. In case there will be many messages to free mailboxes (such as gmail & yahoo) their antispam filters may consider you as a spammer... then your messages may arrive into a spam folder.

Thanks,
    Olga

Real Name
    Steve Layton

Thanks. I would like to see the script. At the very least I will learn a bit more about real database design. And, no, none of the recipients would be outside the company list. The likelihood is that there would be as many as a few dozen of these notices each week and each would be targeted to a very short list of employees within each department.
    My real interest in the script is to give me a picture of how it's done and then work from there to develop the same functionality for our application. I really appreciate your help.

Real Name
    Cornelius Coenraad Laubscher

Hi,

Pleased to make your aquintance.

Would you be willing to assist me in getting this functionality in my apps.

I use "email_smtp_open(ps, "mail.msuk.gov.za")" to mail notifications to specific users. Now i need to monitor a due date field and forward mail notifications to same users on 30 days prior, 15 days prior and on due date.

I would appreciate your assistance and are quite willing to renumerate you for your efforts and assistance.

Thanks in advance.