Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Email settings work in Outlook 2003, fail in A5V9 built-in email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email settings work in Outlook 2003, fail in A5V9 built-in email

I am trying to use the Alpha Five built-in e-mail client and am having trouble connecting to my ISP, which is AT&T Worldnet. I called their customer technical support only to be told �Sorry, but we don�t support Alpha Five e-mail.�

So I did a Google search and found Microsoft Office has a guide available online called �Use Outlook with AT&T Worldnet.� Following the instructions (�When using another internet service such as at the office or an airport internet kiosk�), I was able to successfully configure Microsoft Outlook to send a test email from Outlook to my ATT account using my hotel�s internet connection. The Outlook message was "Congratulations. All tests completed successfully". I logged onto ATT's internet page to check my email, and the test email was waiting there!

OK, now that I know I have settings that work, it should be trivial to configure A5V9's built in email client. But no matter what settings I make the only message I receive is:
    Connect to Outgoing (SMTP) Server failed:
    The hostname might be incorect or the server may be down.
    Socket timeout reading data. No data was available to read within the timeout interval.

Through process of elimination I found that I need to select SSL for both incoming and outgoing emails. That reduces the error list to the single error above.

I've reproduced my settings below. Can anyone suggest why they work fine with Outlook 2003 and why Alpha Five is choking? Or are any forum members using ATT Worldnet who could check their settings. My forum search shows that users had problems with ATT four or five years ago, that apparently have been resolved.

Microsoft OUTLOOK 2003 settings
    User information
    User name: Robert W. McGaffic
    E-mail address: [email protected]

Logon information
    User name: rmcgaffic
    Password: ********

Server information
    Incoming POP3 ipostoffice.worldnet.att
    Outgoing SMTP imailhost.worldnet.att

Outgoing server
    (X) My outgoing server requires authentication

Connection
    (X) Connect using Internet Explorer

Advanced
    POP3 port: 995
    (X) This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)

SMTP port: 465
    (X) This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)

Alpha Five V9 settings:

Account
    POP: ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net
    SMTP: imailhost.worldnet.att.net
    Your name: Robert W. McGaffic
    Your email: [email protected]

Receiving
    Use secure connection: SSL

Sending
    SMTP Authentication method: Log on using settings below
    Use secure connection: SSL

Advanced
    POP port: 995

I've tried all four SMTP Authentication methods without success:
    1. Outgoing serves does not require authentication
    2. Use same settings as my incoming mail server
    3. Longon using settings below
    4. Logon to income mail server before sending mail

Thanks,
    Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh
    Last edited by rmcgaffic; 11-12-2008, 10:01 PM.

Re: Email settings work in Outlook 2003, fail in A5V9 built-in email

As far as I can determine, the only difference between the settings of Outlook 2003 and A5V9 which I earlier documented, is shown below.

Where is the equivalent setting for A5V9, to tell it that the connection type is an Internet Explorer connection?

Thanks,
    Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh

Comment

Hi Bob,
      I don't think that it is a problem regarding IE. I tested in v8 and the send-to address was getting messed up--the "@" turned into % % %. I had to use chr(64) instead to make it work....hope this is fixed in v9 but if not maybe this is causing you grief now as well.
      Mike

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the insight, but I'm a little puzzled.

The Microsoft Outlook documentation says the outgoing should be as follows: imailhost.worldnet.att.net. There is no @ character in this string.

The only place where there is @ in a string which is my email address: [email protected].

When I substitute (chr(64)) in my email address as follows:
        rmcgaffic(chr(64))att.net
        I get the same error:
        Connect to Outgoing (SMTP) Server failed:
        The hostname might be incorect or the server may be down.
        Socket timeout reading data. No data was available to read within the timeout interval.

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks again,
        Bob McGaffic
        Pittsburgh

Comment

looking at your settings, you have .net for alpha and it is left off in outlook?

Outlook:

Server information
          Incoming POP3 ipostoffice.worldnet.att
          Outgoing SMTP imailhost.worldnet.att

Alpha Five V9 settings:

Account
          POP: ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net

Comment

Erik,

Sorry for the typo. Unfortunately, I typed in the Alpha settings, rather than cut and pasted.

Here they are via cut and paste:
            POP3: ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net

These settings are the same in A5V9 and Outlook 2003. The error remains.

Bob McGaffic
            Pittsburgh

Comment

Bob,
              This is from AT&T's site:

I am connecting through a high speed connection or another ISP

E-mail Settings:
              Mail Server Type: POP3
              Incoming Mail (POP): ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net
              Outgoing Mail (SMTP): imailhost.worldnet.att.net Note: If you are using Netscape Mail, enter your other ISP's outgoing e-mail server. If you are not sure what the SMTP server name is, contact your non-AT&T Worldnet Service ISP.
              Ensure that the option My server requires authentication is checked.
              User name or POP name: Enter the full e-mail address in the User Name field. For example: [email protected] or [email protected]
              Ensure that the option Always connect to this account using is selected, and Local Area Network is chosen from the drop-down menu on the Connections tab.
              Ensure that secure connection (SSL) is enabled and set to port number 465 for SMTP.
              Ensure that secure connection (SSL) is enabled and set to port number 995 for POP3.

Note the username setting (include the FULL email address) which is contradictory to what you have stated above. (or Microsoft)

Also the line - "If you are using Netscape Mail, enter your other ISP's outgoing e-mail server."

Have you tried using the Hotels isp's mail server for the outgoing server?

I frequently have issues using my isp's server when I am not on "their" network. I am not sure why outlook is working and Alpha mail is not though. I would think that if outlook connected to it, alpha would also.

Am I right in assuming that you are not using at&t as the ISP?? If you use your worldnet dialup account does everything work?

Also the connection setting should be set to LAN (not IE) as well, assuming you are not using a dialup account and a modem.

Good Luck. I have not had very good experiences with AT&T and their insane email rules and regulations.
              Last edited by Bill Griffin; 11-14-2008, 09:33 AM.
              Bill Griffin
              Parkell, Inc

Comment

Bill,

As you noted above, the "connection setting should be set to LAN (Not IE) as well, assuming you are not using a dialup account and a modem"

In Outlook, I could make this connection setting, as shown in my screen print above and everything worked.
                But where can you make this choice in Alpha Five's email configuration? I can't find it.

Maybe I was trying to do too much at first.

I am flying home this afternoon and will try this all over again tomorrow with no intermediate ISP, that is, from home I will use AT&T Worldnet dial up service only.

I hope this is a issue that AT&T Worldnet service is cranky, rather than a Alpha Five bug.

I suspect a lot of users may travel extensively as I do, and AT&T certainly isn't help their cause with such hurdles.

I went to their Web page and downloaded several articles on email setup for airplane reading. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll report my findings next week.

Bob McGaffic
                Pittsburgh
                Last edited by rmcgaffic; 11-14-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

A5V9 email works with ATT Worldnet dialup, but not another ISP

In the sake of completeness, I want to document the following:

For Alpha users using AT&T Worldnet as their ISP with DIAL UP SERVICE, the Alpha Five built-in email works with the following settings:

Incoming mail POP: postoffice.att.net
                  Outgoing mail: mainhost.att.net
                  SMTP port: 25
                  POP port: 110

Note that these settings are different than those for connecting to ATT email with another ISP, in which case the settings are as follows:

Incoming mail POP: ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net
                  Outgoing mail: imainshost.worldnet.att.net
                  POP port: 995

While I am pleased that the Alpha Five email did not completely fail, I remain concerned that it isn't as robust as MS Outlook 2003, which allowed me to easily connect to my ATT email using a different ISP from my hotel.

In these days when most hotels/airports have wireless service, I don't relish the idea of having to use telephone dial up service, simply to retrieve email into Alpha Five V9.

Comment

Did you ever get this working? I too am having trouble connecting using Alpha5 V9 email. I cannot connect to AT&T:
                    ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net SSL 995
                    imailhost.worldnet.att.net SSL 465 -- and yet both AT&T and q.com work in Outlook.

I also cannot connect to q.com but get a different error 530 ..must issue STARTTLS"

Erich
                    Broomfield, CO

Comment

Re: A5V9 email works with ATT Worldnet dialup, but not another ISP

Erich, This is from the post directly above yours:
                      Originally posted by rmcgaffic
                      For Alpha users using AT&T Worldnet as their ISP with DIAL UP SERVICE, the Alpha Five built-in email works with the following settings:

Incoming mail POP: postoffice.att.net
                      Outgoing mail: mainhost.att.net
                      SMTP port: 25
                      POP port: 110

Note that these settings are different than those for connecting to ATT email with another ISP
                      It seemed to work for Bob and is not what you are showing in your post so I would do it like his.

Comment

That works for dial up. I am on a DSL connection. I tried various setting on two machines. On both machines, Outlook 2007 works fine with both AT&T and using q.com. Niether setups work within A5V9. This is very frustrating and after much searching I've not found a solution.

Erich

Comment

Hi,

Has anybody managed to resolve this yet?

I've just purchased alpha5, and it's failed on the first hurdle... I'm attempting to run the email demonstration connecting to Google mail
                          My firewall has alpha 5 open

My outlook client/Iphone connect fine. Is there anyway to debug this problem ?

thanks
                          Garth

Comment

Working...
                          X