Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Application that displays web data in Word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Application that displays web data in Word?

I am working on an application that we want to keep the "data" available for management review on the Web, but that we want the "users" keying in the proposal information to be able to use Word for Data Entry/update and printing the data.

I have been trying to make that work, but don't understand how I will link the data to Word via a Web Application -

I am familiar with Word Merge capability, I have used that with DBF's and Access databases for years but I can't figure out if this is even possible - after scouring the forum under WAS I still am unsure.

Has anyone done this before?

Any thoughts of how I would like a Web Application to a local copy of Word 2007?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this subject!

Julie

Re: Web Application that displays web data in Word?

I have been reviewing all of the forums and don't see anyone who has tried what I am looking for - so my next question is:

Is there any way to copy a record that is selected, to a persons local desktop say a DBF so they can work with that record at least?

Then assuming that can happen how would the data get ported back to the web interface?

I have a client that really wants to use "Word" to edit fields in the Web Database

Comment

I am working on an application that we want to keep the "data" available for management review on the Web, but that we want the "users" keying in the proposal information to be able to use Word for Data Entry/update and printing the data.
      Julie,

I think the reason you have not gotten many repsonses is that this would be an atypical way to use Alpha. By that I mean, using Word to act as the data entry portal for your dbf files seems convoluted (to me at least). Perhaps we don't fully understand what you are trying to do but why not just use Alpha for that? Data entry in Alpha can easily be made to be very streamlined and easy for users(much more than Word could ever be) - plus in Alpha you can use field rules, error checking, etc.. You can also always have a "hybrid" application where the web side is used for review and display of data but a desktop application is used for all the data entry. I have 2 apps like that and they work GREAT!

Using Word to edit the records in your database is just not using the right tool for the job in my opinion.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for your reply Jeff - I appreciate your comment, and have ended up back in Alpha - because it just wouldn't give the right results.

My problem is I have people that are VERY concerned about change as I know many of you have experienced. They know Word - so that is what they prefer things to be like.

I agree, Alpha is a better tool.

My personal hurdle is not knowing Alpha as well as I would like - What I am looking to accomplish is "mimick" multiple Word documents into one alpha application.

I don't know how to keep the data for one record together from one page to the next.

Since we want to have multiple "inclusions" and multiple "Exclusions" I think it may just be easier in Alpha.

If you have time, would you mind taking a look at the attachments below that we are trying to convert over to Alpha?

Thanks Jeff,

Julie

Comment

Hi Julie

Alpha is the exact right tool to achieve what you are looking to do. It appears that you want to have a quotation system that lists both what is included in the bid and what is not included? Is that right?

If so, Alpha can EASILY do this and better than you could ever hope for using Word. I would see your layout like this one parent table and 3 child tables. The parent table is the main quote type stuff of who is the customer, termns of the quote, delivery, etc. You would then have the 3 child tables which would be inclusions, exclusions, pricing. These child tables would all relate to the parent on either a non-meaningful unique ID number or the quote number.

You could have all of this information available from one Alpha form - making it very easy for users to create the proposal. The beauty of Alpha is that you can create archived versions of the proposal if the customer changes their mind and wants you to make a change. For example, in of of my apps I have a quoting system that assigns a quote number (let's say 50000). If the user submits this to the customer and they want a change they press a button on the form and that original proposal is "archived" and a new duplicate of it is created but the new proposal number is 50000-1. By doing something like this you can track all of you proposals as they evolve. Also, you can easily pull up an old quote and revise it to make a new one. You inclusions and exclusions that are populated as line items would all come from lookups so the user would not have to type anything. You could also have some code that would "pre-populate" a list of say 15 items that are commonly on your exclusions page.

If you stick with Alpha and work through the learning curve you will not be sorry. There are MANY efficiencies to be gained by using Alpha that you will never realize if you use Word for this application in my opinion.

You have found the greatest resource of Alpha - this message board! Keep coming back and asking questions. Also, you have posted this question on the Application Server section which is for web stuff. It doesn't sound like this is a web app so if you have more questions in the future, try posting over in the desktop area......you might have better luck getting answers to your questions.

BTW, have you taken a look at the Sample Alpha Sports App that comes with Alpha? There is an invoice sample in there that shows the one to many idea I mentioned above. Just think of it as a quote when you look at it instead of an invoice. It's all the same thinking.

Hope that helps some.....regards.......

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I was trying to do this in WAS - only because I dont really understand the Runtime licensing that I saw people up in arms about with this version 9 platinum.

I am sure this is very do-able in the database only side - and am sure my previous programming in MS Access 2003 would carry over smoothly.

I was just thinking that integrating this with another Web based DB would cause less confusion for the client. but I am open at this point to what is easiest.

I will do whatever it takes to learn the best presentation for the client.

Did you use the Database side to create your "archive" version and duplicate proposal for new revisions? I love this idea and wonder if you could show me how you programmed that?

Thanks for your time Jeff, I appreciate the encouragement.

Julie

Comment

Hi Julie

There really is no need to worry about the runtime licensing uproar that took place previously with V9. Alpha was very attentive and got everything squared away to a nice result in my opinion. The only thing you need to know really with the 2 "run" options is that the Run Engine supports the creating and use of "Active Link" tables to other data sources like SQL Server and the Runtime does not.

I was just thinking that integrating this with another Web based DB would cause less confusion for the client.
              There certainly is some wisdom to making it easy for the client. :D

but I am open at this point to what is easiest.
              The creation of a desktop app for this sort of thing will be significantly easier than trying to do it on the web side.

Did you use the Database side to create your "archive" version and duplicate proposal for new revisions?
              Yep...I created the quote system I was referring to using the desktop side of Alpha.

I love this idea and wonder if you could show me how you programmed that?
              I will pull together some screen shots for you of the quote portion of that application and post them here.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jkletrovets View Post
                The only thing you need to know really with the 2 "run" options is that the Run Engine supports the creating and use of "Active Link" tables to other data sources like SQL Server and the Runtime does not.
                That is not entirely correct. If you purchase the Unlimited Runtime, it does everything the Run Engine does and more. Just evaluate the cost of it as compared to individual Run Engine licenses and you will see it doesn't take long to see how worthwhile it is.

Comment

Good point Doug.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X