Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

64 Bit PDF driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 64 Bit PDF driver

Just a minute or two of research shows Tom as correct...many people are awaiting a patch to Amyuni's current version. Now whether Alpha can incorporate this or not remains to be seen. I did notice that Amyuni offers free updates to their customers (Alpha) but who knows what arrangements Alpha has with them and whether or not this applies.

One thing I have noticed is that a link was given by Doug and yet no mention of anyone trying that fix!! :)
    Mike

Comment

Thanks for the response to this post. It would seem it is an issue that needs to be fixed. Since it is an Ayumi driver, I sure Alpha is under some kind of arrangement with them. I would hope they are able to resolve this issue soon. I have a customer that wants start a web app in February and they are on a 64 bit server. Without the ability to do the pdf stuff, I'm going to have a really hard time going forward, so I am really hopeful this gets solved quickly.

mike
      Mike Reed
      Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Bremkamp View Post
        With Alpha getting close to the release of Version 10, I'll bet 64 bit pdf's will be a Version 10 and above feature that probably won't make it into Version 9.

Pat
        I hope this is not the case. This would reflect poorly on Alpha. Much the same way they have abandoned any support/fixes for Version 8. If this is not resolved prior to Version 10 then it should definitely be a fix in Version 9. Maybe my clients don't want / need to upgrade to Version 10 if the app is working just fine in Version 9. I know I could use a 3rd party tool to handle my pdf creation if I had to - but that would be a last resort especially since Alpha Version 9 was sold with that functionality as a feature.

I can fully understand asking someone to ante up for Version 10 if there is a new feature they want - but fixing a core functionality problem - that is another matter. I first reported this to Alpha several months ago and while I know this is a peer supported board I am not naive enough to think Alpha employees don't regularly come here. They should at least give us a heads up as to their plans to accomodate 64bit OS as it relates to Alpha's pdf creation. Even if they tell us that is Amyuni is still working on it and what their (Alpha) plan is we would be miles ahead. 64 bit operation systems are becoming more and more ubiquitous and I think Alpha needs to respond to this.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,
          I couldn't agree more and very well stated. It is a core function issue and seriously needs to be addressed. I really hope they (Alpha Software) will fix this. I think that we, as users, need to demand they find a solution to this problem. Working on it, doesn't really cut it anymore. This problem has been around a while and an answer should have already been forthcoming. I don't believe it is an option, but is mandatory. Come Alpha Software, help us out here.

Harvey

Comment

Jeff,

Good comments and it is true, this problem has been around a while. I don't understand why it isn't fixed yet. Alpha needs to get cracking on this ... and soon.

Are you hearing us! Alpha Software?

Oscar

Comment

Hi All

Here is a solution I just found on the Amyuni Forum and IT WORKED!!!!! I can now print to PDF files using Alpha5 Version 9 on my Vista 64 Bit machine.

I modified it slightly to pertain to Alpha from what was on their forum.

1) Make sure that you are logged in as a user with administrator rights.
              2) Select Control Panel, and click Printers.
              3) Right-click the Alpha Five Printer icon
              4) Select the Ports tab, then click the Add Port... button.
              5) Select Local Port and click the New Port... button.
              6) Enter NUL: for the new port name and click OK. Close the Printer Ports window.
              7) Ensure that the NUL: port is selected in the Ports list.
              8) Select the Advanced tab.
              9) Select the Spool print documents radio button to make the options below it clickable.
              10) Clear (uncheck) the box labeled Enable advanced printing features.
              11) Select the Print directly to printer radio button again.
              12) Click the Apply button, and then click OK.

Comment

Cool!... Glad to see someone try the fix that Doug had linked to. Hope it works for all as the forum/other sites indicate that this fix has not worked for everyone.
                Mike

Comment

Oops...you're right.....Doug did link to that. I had forgotten about that link above and just went to their forum and did a search(there is a thread on the desktop side too that prompted me to go and forgot about the one here). Too much going on in my brain I guess....in any case....thanks Doug! I am in business again.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I know that Alpha Softwre monitors or least looks at this board, why haven't they repsonded to these messages? What is going on with this problem.

I find it interesting that some of the big guns on this board haven't put some pressure on the guys at Alpha to respond to this message.

What is going on?

bill

Comment

Bill,

Read the posts above - it seems to work when you follow instructions from Amyuni's site. Jeff even left a nice set of instructions to follow.

Comment

Bill,
                        I know that Alpha Softwre monitors or least looks at this board
                        Although it is obvious that Alpha does at times respond to problems given on this messageboard, I'm curious as to why you think this is a guarantee of some sort that they will actually see every issue brought up....?

I have only been viewing the board for a bit over 2 years, but have seen Alpha respond at times frequently and at other times not at all for seemingly months. I think it might relate to what they have going on as this is not really "their" board but ours as far as support goes. I have no idea if they have any sort of schedule in regard to this at all as nothing has ever been stated.

Problems need to be verified as a true issue/bug and once confirmed (as it has here), a bug report should be created and well documented. This, aside from contacting someone directly, would be the only sure way of making Alpha aware of a problem I would think.

Personally I would Never simply rely on the chance that someone from Alpha is watching this board if I had a problem that needed resolution.

Until then why not use the fix that has been presented??
                        Mike

Comment

Jeff,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have been pulling the hair out of my head for the past 4 hours getting more and more frustrated with my new Sony Vaio 64 bit machine. I was ready to take it back, but thankfully, searched this board first.

Your detailed steps worked!

Did I say thank you? :D

Gary
                          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Hi Gary,

Glad I could help!! :):)

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I'm trying to use the fix suggested so that I can print pdf via Alpha5 but I don't see an Alpha 5 printer icon to adjust the port settings, when I look at my Printers in the control panel. I'm using a 64bit Win 7. I uninstalled A5 & reinstalled it & installed the latest patch.

Any suggestions?

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X