Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pulling my hair out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling my hair out

I�m pulling my hair out over Alpha Five.

I�ve been with the program since V5 days. Paid for all the upgrades, bought a few extras too.

I�m not a professional coder, nor developer. I have a �real world� business to run.

Getting help and support for Alpha Five has never been easy. You have two options � post a question here, and likely as not, it won�t get answered. Be persistent, bump it up a lot, and then you�ll get some kind of attention. It will in all likelihood take a few days.

The other option is to pay for quicker support �but at $499 a pop, my business won�t stand that kind of �support� for too long.

What I�m saying is �there is a huge, gaping hole in the support spectrum here.

I finally thought had our accounting package working pretty well. Now, after upgrading to the very latest version, buttons that used to work don�t any longer. Meaning, see attached screen shot, that our accounting cannot happen until this is fixed. And � separately - our contacts program has also stopped working with Exchange server. Absolute nightmare, actually.

Now, you professional coders and developers out there may not think this is such a bit deal... maybe you�ve got workarounds, hacks, special access, whatever.

All I know is � I have a business to run, and Alpha Five is getting in my way.
    I�m sure no-one will listen to this � I�m really just venting my disappointment a bit � but I�m also off now to download Filemaker.

Re: Pulling my hair out

I have also run into many issues with the latest build (reported them) , but going to the prior build fixed my problems. I would suggest going back to the prior build.
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc

Comment

Hi Pete,

I can understand your frustration. Have you tried going back to a previous patch. I have found some major problems with the revised browse in patch 3218 and have reverted to 3216 for now and all is well again.
      It would help Alpha if you can send them the necessary files to show the bug in action.
      If you are unsure of how to send a bug report send me a private message with your phone number.

Bob Whitaker
      Sutton Coldfield
      UK
      Bob Whitaker

Comment

Pete,

I know your feelings, in pretty much the same boat. If you have got his problem since downloading the latest patch go to the download updates page http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A...chDownload.ASP and click on the previous updates link. Scroll down to
        Build 1847_3216

then click on the relevant update below that, download and install. This will take you back one update.

There are several reports that the latest build is full of bugs and at present this is a good work around. I have reported these, but like you I have a company to run which relies on a working version of Alpha and dont have the time to play around making samples of my data which was working to provide as a bug report for Alpha to test and cant send my total database as it is nearly 30mb when zipped! It is very frustrating.

Comment

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I was really disappointed when we upgraded to version V9. Lookups and some functions stopped working, some forms are just somehow locking itself.
          We decided to upgrade just because v8 was left without any support and updates - but now i know that the new updates alpha is releasing are just causing more problems.
          Yes i know it is not much of a help for you when another 'happy' user is just complaining.

I am not a professional (I don't have any paper for it), but i think if u want somebody to help you, you must provide more details. I know that this is pain in the butt, but you will have to recheck all the functions you are using in that process to find the bug.

I think the best way will be to restore previous version anyway, and maybe in 'the free time' trying to run the new update and test - but on copy of the database.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the above. I dunno � at this point, it feels as if A5 has taken over my life. Given enough time, I�m sure all these issues are resolvable, but that�s the crunch � I don�t have an infinite amount of time. Given my time/money investment, it should be working for me by now, not vice versa. Filemaker looks as if it�s designed for idiots � but maybe that�s exactly what I need.

Comment

Hi Peter,

Originally posted by catfish_pete View Post
              The other option is to pay for quicker support –but at $499 a pop, my business won’t stand that kind of “support” for too long.
              There are many independent consultants, some in the UK, that provide support for Alpha Five at hourly rates and can provide continued support, which is what it sounds like you need. It might run more at times, but at least you will have someone familiar with your application.

If you have a phone line for voice (or Skype or similar for VOIP) and high speed internet, you can utilize their help remotely, and choose a consultant to meet your needs that is located anywhere on the planet.

Visit the web sites or search google, or look at the signatures of people at the bottom of postings here to find a consultant that meets your needs.
              Last edited by csda1; 12-02-2008, 09:29 AM.
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

The underlying issue is the support. I have said this before and will now say it again. Alpha need to be supporting (including bugs) at least one version behind the latest. i.e. at this time it would be V8 and V9. The product is just not stable enough to cut support as soon as a new version is released. It was mentioned somewhere that V10 will be out in the first quarter of next year which if things continue in the same vain means V9 bug support will be terminated. Well there seems to be too many issues with V9 that still need resolving. It is time for Alpha to concentrate on the stability of their product even if that means delaying the next version.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Gurd View Post
                  Pete,

I know your feelings, in pretty much the same boat. If you have got his problem since downloading the latest patch go to the download updates page http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A...chDownload.ASP and click on the previous updates link. Scroll down to
                  Build 1847_3216
                  YES! Thank you so much - things work again now!

But still - two days of my life spent on this... totally wasted...

Comment

Has anyone got any response from Alpha regarding the latest bugs. I have sent a few e-mails to Selwyn, the latest with a delivery and read request attached and have heard nothing! I just hope someone from else has got through or they are monitoring this board.

Comment

Originally posted by gmeredith17 View Post
                      The underlying issue is the support. I have said this before and will now say it again. Alpha need to be supporting (including bugs) at least one version behind the latest. i.e. at this time it would be V8 and V9. The product is just not stable enough to cut support as soon as a new version is released. It was mentioned somewhere that V10 will be out in the first quarter of next year which if things continue in the same vain means V9 bug support will be terminated. Well there seems to be too many issues with V9 that still need resolving. It is time for Alpha to concentrate on the stability of their product even if that means delaying the next version.

Geoff,

I agree with you 100%. Well said!

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

G(J)e(o)ff, :)

I also agree with this---and what makes it worse is that it is the new users and complete "non-programmers" that feel this the worst. When something stops working or never did while these users create code, they have no idea if it is their code or a hiccup in Alpha....and as a result, like in Pete's situation, there can be a lot of wasted time and also unneeded frustration which is the least of the problems really--I can see this very much adversely affecting Alpha's reputation and sales.

Pete, regarding your lack of response on this board....I think that it either was an anomaly in of itself or maybe just a lack of enough detail or clarity for those of us who frequent the board to even hazard a guess (which I believe is the biggest reason for non-response).
                        Mike

Comment

I am really shocked by the lack of quality control in what is coming out as software ready to be put in a production environment.

Maybe this is how it's always been but I can't even begin to consider deploying an application based on Alpha Five with the current level of instability in even some of the most basic functionality.

After a couple of months of exploring Alpha Five version 9, I must say I LIKE this software. I am IMPRESSED by the features. I see the incredible potential of the applications I could create. But I just can't make use of it until I am sure it is rock solid. When I create an application and sell it to a customer, to them I am responsible. They don't care what tools I used. If there are a lot of problems, they blame me. My reputation is on the line. I must be sure that what I am selling them is very reliable.

So I ask you guys who have been around for years: Is this as good as it gets (stability & reliability wise) or is the current situation simply an anomaly that you expect to be shortly rectified?

Regards,

Scott

Comment

Release fewer patches and spend more time on quality control and debugging.

Comment

I have been reading this post and many other posts where problems with Version 9 are surfacing faster then the workarounds can be given - so much so that it seems that everyone has opted to go back to a previous patch. I am really hesitant to post this. I do not want anyone to think that I am against Alpha - it is just the opposite - I am all for it.

What strikes me is that with all that is going on in today's economy - why are the developers, coders and plain everyday folk not e-mailing Selwyn and Richard on a daily basis - exclaiming their disbelief that another patch has problems - severe problems from what I read in the posts.

As Pete (the member who started this thread) stated he is not a developer he is just trying to run his business with what everyone feels is still a great product. As Mike pointed out, its not the developers etc that are having a hard time with these ongoing problems but the little guys, coding for their business, their bosses etc. When they run into a problem, it is not an all nighter it is a career.

My Son and I made a decision back early that we would stay with Version 8 since our operations program is running perfectly (oh there are those little gliches that show up now and again and disappear) and that we would not invest in the new version (we did beta test it) since we really did not need the bells and whistles that were touted in version 9. I have been using Alpha since the DOS days and had a learning curve when the windows version came out and then I did not know this board even existed, so I struggled and got through it while learning quite a lot about how alpha works. I am now glad we made that decision early on not to go to version 9 - since as Pete says he has wasted a lot of valuable time trying to get his program to work just to run his business.

I agree with the Jeff that support is critical to all of us. I started a thread a long time ago "Version 7 Dead in the water" based upon the fact that as soon as Version 8 came out - all Alpha activity was detoured to version 8 and version 7 (updates) was dead in the water.

As we have become complacent that Alpha supports its troops, Alpha probably has become a little complacement with updates and fixes because of this forum - I have never seen so many workarounds posted on a message board. I guess Alpha feels that there are answers here.

When version 9 and its pricing came out there was an uproar from the forum community - where is that uproar now.

Alpha is a fine product - one that I am glad that we are using to operate our business, however, I think some of that is due to this forum - I have not had to post too many of my problems encountered with Alpha since reading this forum I usually find my answer in some other thread.

I guess what I am saying is make noise - not just a murmur. I am sure Alpha glances at this message board to gauge what is going on - but with all the workarounds posted they may become a little complacent.

If it were my livelihood - I would be making noise.

Tom Baker

I hope I am not banned from this board for the above - it is my opinion that Alpha remains the best product for easy database development for both novice and professionals

Comment

Working...
                              X