Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pulling my hair out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pulling my hair out

If you are interested in the desktop operation, I would suggest you download Alpha Sports from the sample folder you can find in the a5v9 folder. You will find that all works properly there. If you are in a hurry, I don't think Alpha will be all that helpful unless you are just designing a simple address database, etc. The hardest thing about Alpha is changing the way you think and use databases, especially when coming from Access and/or Filemaker. Yes, there are some problems with Alpha, but if you are coming from Access or Filemaker, you know there are many problems with both of those programs as well. The big difference is that this Forum and Alpha are responsive to issues, with this Forum being a godsend.
    "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by tldent View Post
      ...The button to open "Field Rules" and other buttons in the Control Panel do not respond, I have no idea what to do next.
      Make sure that you first click on a table, then field rules.

So I think I will punt and give the ball back to A5, ask for a refund and get on with my business. I am already late due to my asking for time to explore A5 to see if it might offer a better solution than Access or FM.
      Alpha works just fine. If you encounter basic problems such as the one you describe, that always suggests either a very simple misunderstanding on the user's part, or a bad install. With a little patience you can get through it. But, if you're "out of time", no one can help w. that one.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,

while I agree Access and FM have problems, they don't seem to be as pervasive as A% in it's current build. Another thing today ... I added a field and a field rule to calculate a difference between dates - then press the re-evaluate field rules and I get a popup asking if I want to mark invalid records. When I browse the table, the first 15 records calculating correctly, but when it encountered a record where one of the dates is missing, the program quit trying to enforce the rules for all the other records.

Of course, there was no error message saying it didn't just skip the bad record and continue... this is frustrating!!!!

You expect certain behaviors from a program and when you don't get it, it is very difficult to find out what to do now.

Dave
        David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

let me correct the last post... the browse simply doesn't show those fields unless you click on the field ... weird!!
          David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Alright, so the answer to this little riddle is ....
            if one of the two fields upon which the calculation is blank, the result will be some huge number. If that number doesn't fit in the size field I have as the calculated field, it won't give you an error, it will just fail.
            David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David:
              I still consider myself a rookie, despite spending quite a few hours every day "playing" with a5v9. What I find happening to me too often is that I get a bit overconfident in my abilities of mastering Alpha, especially when using the Action Script, which is really like having super training wheels for my two wheel bike. I get lulled into thinking I am doing everything correctly. Many times I find that I have skipped a step or don't fully understand the process and when something goes wrong, I immediately think there is a bug, since there are a number of posts discussing bugs. I am trying to learn to be more careful with my coding and also trying to not jump to conclusions.

When I worked with Access I was left to my own learning curve and became frustrated by having to buy lots of books that either were too simplistic or dealt with complex workarounds due to Access internal programming issues. I gave up on Filemaker after v4 because it just didn't do much of what I needed to do and I haven't seen too much improvement since then.

So, I do agree with posters who would like to see a really stable Alpha 5 and finally get the browse issues under control, but I also know that many issues that begin as possible "bugs" turn out to be my lack of skill in manipulating this excellent program to do what I want it to do.

I have seen from your posts that you are quite knowledgeable with Alpha, so I am not trying to say anything negative about your posts, just making some observations that I have found as I keep trying to learn.

Just my thoughts as I yearn for spring to come along...

Pete

Comment

I think the definition of "bug" is rather vague. My feeling is that things which are errors should be flagged as errors. If I try to put a huge number in a field which is too small, the program should beep at me, not simply fail to do what I asked it to do with no feedback.

However, I do agree after wrestling with Access and always coming back here, that many times "bugs" are simply my misunderstanding the way the program is working. Still, the program should be relatively intuitive and consistent. If I eliminate the calculated field and simply try to update the field using an update operation, the program correctly tells me that the field I'm trying to post to isn't big enough. It should do that when I try to do it with field rules too.

BTW, why don't field rules save when you exist field rules screen or at least prompt you to save, like every other window in the Microsoft world? How many times do I change a field rule and forget to formally save the changes????

Guess what I'm saying it that instead of new "features", I'd be the happiest guy in the world if A5 worked consistent with all other windows programs (scrolling consistently, e.g.) and was internally consistent.

Dave
                David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

BTW, why don't field rules save when you exit field rules screen or at least prompt you to save, like every other window in the Microsoft world? How many times do I change a field rule and forget to formally save the changes????
                  You are right. I have been caught closing without saving a number of times. Seems to me that is the only window (perhaps the report window) where this is the case. More than likely an oversight.
                  Last edited by trackmanpete; 01-18-2009, 10:23 PM.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by davidv43 View Post

Of course, there was no error message saying it didn't just skip the bad record and continue... this is frustrating!!!!

You expect certain behaviors from a program and when you don't get it, it is very difficult to find out what to do now.
                    Dave,

I don't disagree w. you. But my response to the person above was merely pointing out that you CAN (of course) edit field rules, etc. That person either misunderstands something very simple or has a bad install. As you know, A5 is a FULLY functional program. Sure, there are bugs, quirks and glitches. Nobody likes them. I agree, fix 'em. I have vented many times my own frustrations on this board. But to suggest that even the most basic functionality in Alpha is non-functional (as did that person) is patently ridiculous. I think you know that very well. The VAST majority of features in A5 work as advertised. I just don't want some newbie to think that A5 is a fundamentally flawed program where even the moist basic features don't work. It works just fine, bugs, quirks and glitches not withstanding.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

If I eliminate the calculated field and simply try to update the field using an update operation, the program correctly tells me that the field I'm trying to post to isn't big enough. It should do that when I try to do it with field rules too.
                      I agree, that would be very nice. However, has anyone ever submitted a new features wishlist item on this? Has anyone ever submitted a formal bug report?

When defining a new field rule calc expression I personally believe it's the developer's responsibility to verify that it can be evaluated for all records in the table. At minimum that means scanning the table to see if all field values required by the calc expression are present. If a needed field value is empty, why doesn't the developer anticipate that and adapt the calc field expression accordingly? Proper use of the IF() statement could be used here, could it not? At some point the developer must take responsibility for the results that occur when we instruct Alpha to do something that is impossible. I guess what I'm saying is that the methods Alpha uses to report errors can certainly be improved, and we need to offer suggestions and feedback to Alpha accordingly. But, in this case since an empty numeric field will have a huge value it would be prudent to design the data input routines so that no records are saved with empty numeric fields when those fields will be used in subsequent calculations.

-- tom

Comment

Good point, Tom. I wasn't aware that one could use IF statements in the field rules expressions. That's a good technique... will try it. However, I still think that if the program is smart enough to stop an illegal operation in one place, it should stop it elsewhere.

dave
                        David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

I wasn't aware that one could use IF statements in the field rules expressions.
                          Don't confuse the if-then-else conditional control structure with the if() statement (function).
                          There can be only one.

Comment

that works very nicely! Thank you! I didn't know you could do that!

dave
                            David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Working...
                            X