Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha 5 Training Resources..whats out there?

Real Name
    Mike D

Default Alpha 5 Training Resources..whats out there?

Hi
    I purchased A5 V9 fairly reecently while they had a special offer on it and on the recommendation of another user. I have written some reasonably sophistocated database with Access in several versions. But I have given up trying to use Alpha V9 as there seems very little resources available on say X-Basic etc. I just want to know how to do simple things (if possible) such as how to populate Combo boxes with multiple fields , only one of which is visible, and using one combo box to populate another etc. I'm happier using code than wizards and Genies, but I can find very little to nothing from the likes of O'Reilly Books on Alpha 5...it was one of their books that finally got me up and running in Access. I like the look and possiblities of using A5 but where or how can I get some reasonable training from. I purchased recently the Video Training Course offered but it really doesn't seem to drill down to the things I want to be able to do. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Mike
    Last edited by ZaphodBBB; 12-05-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Make greater clarity

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: Alpha 5 Training Resources..whats out there?

For basics, see Susan Bush's books...
    For programming, see Dr. Peter Wayne's books...

http://www.libertymanuals.com/index.php

Both highly recommended.

Volunteer Moderator Steve Workings's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steve Workings

Hi Mike -

I'm glad you posted here, and see enough in A5 to ask this question. Welcome to our world!

I don't think anyone could put together any series of books or video training that would meet everyone's needs, cover all the bases. Some of the combo-box stuff you need, for instance, is pretty unlikely to be in any "standard" or "basic" instructional.

That's why this forum exists. You're smart to have found and used it, but you don't know how smart you are yet, or how useful this forum can be.

I presume you've used the Search feature already, and come up empty on some of the things you need. In which case, I'll encourage you, one question/thread at a time, to describe your need(s) and I'll bet you'll get all the help (and then some, sometimes) you need.

Pretty soon you'll also find that your growing understanding of A5 will make it easier for you to start finding solutions on your own, without coming to this board.

So make a list (it is, after, all, Christmas time, so check it twice) and start into it.

Edit: I see Peter beat me to this. The books, too, are good and recommended - I don't mean to dismiss them at all. But still, see above.
    Last edited by Steve Workings; 12-05-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Peter's recommendations
    -Steve

Real Name
    Mike D

Thanks Steve and Peter

Your right Steve I did think I'd give this a shot and see if I got any responses...great to see there is and quick too! I'll have a look at Liberty books mentioned then start playing with V5 and just hope there's a lot of patience out there.
    Is the built in help any good for working out what's what with A5? I'm wondering if I should get another monitor so I can have help open on one screen and work on the other?

Thanks again guys
    Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Quote Originally Posted by ZaphodBBB View Post
    Thanks Steve and Peter

Your right Steve I did think I'd give this a shot and see if I got any responses...great to see there is and quick too! I'll have a look at Liberty books mentioned then start playing with V5 and just hope there's a lot of patience out there.
    Is the built in help any good for working out what's what with A5? I'm wondering if I should get another monitor so I can have help open on one screen and work on the other?

Thanks again guys
    Mike
    Welcome Mike...

This message board you will find is one of (or should be) on of Alpha's greatest selling points!!! :)

The built in help is great in that there is a TON of info in there. Sometimes people find it hard to find what they are looking for in there because there is so much. One trick is to navigate to the online help and use Google to search just the Alpha Online Help site. You avail yourself to a much more powerful search capability this way.

Alpha online help is here:
    http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...help/index.htm

You can search for words specific to the help site by entering this in google. The following will search the online help for the word "Grid".

site:support.alphasoftware.com grid

Also....I think Steve is being modest but he has created some training videos that I hear (from folks on here are great). I have not purchased them yet though.

More info on those here:

http://www.imakenews.com/alphasoftwa...x000310019.cfm

Regards,

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Since you're coming from Access, I'd also suggest you take a look at my "white paper" on naming conventions. If things in Alpha worked the same way they do in Access, I'd suggest just using the Access conventions. However...they don't. That means the Access conventions don't work very well in A5.

Here's just one example, if you try to name an index ndxCustomerName it will come out as Ndxcustomername. These issues are a function of the underlying .dbf tables rather than an Alpha Software issue.

Real Name
    Mike D

Thanks for the tip I'll have a look at your paper! I would have worked exactly as per access if you had not mentioned it!

Real Name
    Susan H. Bush

Peter - Thanks for the recommendation of our books.

Mike - I hope you enjoy your books. I'd love to hear from you after you have a chance to look them over.

This thread led to a discussion with Richard Rabins that led to an article for the blog. Look for it in a few days. It covers using Alpha Five genies to learn Xbasic and using Operations to get the job done for programmer and non-programmer alike.

Regards, Susan Bush
    www.libertymanuals.com

Real Name
    Kevin G. Timberlake

Hi Mike,

I have to say, there appeared to be little in the form of instructional help for A5 when I was frustrated, however, the guru's here in the forum are nothing short of pure genius when it comes to behind the scenes help. I made the mistake of giving up 2 years ago and going to Filemaker and now regret the switch. I hit a snag and these guys and gals are right on top of it showing me how to fix it. Susan, I just found your site and books yesterday and I plan on investing in them. I guess I am just giving my 2 cents worth, Alpha Five is, hands down, superior to anything else I have tried including Access.

Mike check out this too, it is a start in the right direction...I hope the guru's here will make more. http://www.alphasoftware.com/AlphaFive/video/
    Kevin G. Timberlake
    Marvel Illusions

Alpha Software Employee Richard Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Here is the link re books and training on the alpha site

https://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/books/

also there is 65 lesson video course available (5 1/2 hours) called Alpha Five Total Training that is focused on desktop and web application development- please email marketing@alphasoftware.com for details

In addition within 30 days a new Video training course will be released that is focused exclusively on training for building web applications.
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Mike D

Hi Susan, Kevin and Richard

Thanks for the advise and good will and pointers to the usefullness of these forums.
    I did download the video training and it is good but I enjoy programming so wanted to get more info on X-Basic. Also it would be nice to find more info on things I consider useful..not the basic basics but stuff like ..how to make one combo box load another depending on selection in the first etc. In access you can have mulitple columns in a combo and hide all but 1 or whatever.

As soon as I get the physical books I'll dive right in Susan, and be sure to let you know how things go. I got the PDF's and spent a day reading one of them , but I like the paper in hand, feels so much better to be able to flick back and forth between pages.

When I began trying to do my first access database I really was stuck, I did not want to work with wizards and very basic forms, but all the books I could find went into ADO, and they went into it in such a technically over the top manner, describing every method property , event etc on and on that being a beginner I just did not realise you could program without knowing every naunce of the topic. So I pretty much came to a grinding halt. Then one day I found a book from O'reilly called Access Design and Programming...and that was a revelation! It spent most of its time showing examples of how to manipulate data rather than describing the underlying concepts too much. And it was honest enough to say that DAO for the most part (unless working with remote data I think) is by far more useful for everyday programming. Well that got me going and is the only reference I keep at hand these days. (I hear Microsoft have gone back to DAO in Access 2007?).

Anyway here's hoping, I would like to use Alpha as it seems to have a lot of features that could prove useful and appears to offer much nicer options for designing user interfaces.

When I purchased Alpha 5 I emailed the support a couple of times and never got any reply which was a bit dissapointing, especially seeing as how the guy who recommended I try Alpha, said how he'd often emailed Richard and heard back from the Chairman or Boss himself. It was one of the aspects of A5 he was so really impressed with.

My biggest problem is just getting started, I just want to be able to use a combo-box to open another form with the relevant data on it having come from that first forms combo box. Seems like the easiest thing to me but so far I have been stumped by it!

Thanks for all the replies and perhaps over the Xmas period I'll have the books to really get stuck into and see how to drive Alpha.

All the best for the Xmas season from New Zealand.

Mike

Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Mike D

Thanks Richard

I have ordered that book from Lioberty last weekend so hopefully it will get here in time for the Xmas period. Not meaning to gripe by the way, I just have not had that much time of late to get into Alpha the way I'd like to. Obviously your users generally appear to be highly supportive of the product and even from my look at the Alpha Sports databse it is pretty impressive what can be done with it... I guess I was hoping to be able to leap before I could walk through it!

Cheers
    Mike

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    For basics, see Susan Bush's books...
    I should have said for basics and up to, and through, intermediate level concepts (or even intermediate-advanced) - for Susan's books.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaphodBBB View Post
    When I purchased Alpha 5 I emailed the support a couple of times and never got any reply which was a bit dissapointing, especially seeing as how the guy who recommended I try Alpha, said how he'd often emailed Richard and heard back from the Chairman or Boss himself. It was one of the aspects of A5 he was so really impressed with.
    Mike,

It's nice when the boss responds directly to you, but OTOH, one can't really expect that level of service as a default. It's just not realistic. So, when he does, consider it a bonus, but not a "right".

Real Name
    Mike D

Cheers Peter
    I have already ordered Susan's books or a couple of them.
    I did not at al expect to get a reply from THe Boss, as I did not email him I just emailed (as per instructions ) the contact email on the site somewhere. But never mind. This forum will hopefully sort things for me!

Thanks again
    Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic Ray in Capetown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Hendler

Hi Mike
    If you're still out there, I just discovered the forum.
    Funny that - your first request
    "My biggest problem is just getting started, I just want to be able to use a combo-box to open another form with the relevant data on it having come from that first forms combo box (which can contain any number of info fields). Seems like the easiest thing to me but so far I have been stumped by it!"

When I convinced my associate to get the trial of A5V9 6 weeks ago, THAT also was his first requirement. I found a workaround in Susans A5MadeEasy. He says in Access it is a given, shouldn't have to use a workaround. He went back to Access. If you find a straighforward way using a combo box, let me know.

Real Name
    Mike D

Hi Ray

I'm still tossing up weather I carry on with A5 or not. I'd like to as it appears to offer much better user interfaces , but We will see.

Take a look at this thread I started the other day and look at the sample database Tim put up there on a post it amazingly does exactly what we are talking about!!

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=77307

All the best to you.

Mike

Real Name
    Joel Domen

I also had the thought that I would be able to just jump right in and fly away with apps...sadly its not the case. Considering the fact that alpha offers so many features it just isnt realistic to think that you can whip out a perfect product after having it for a couple weeks. I did find that the more time I spent on these forums just reading others posts that I absorbed a huge ammount of information. I trust that if you give alpha enough time to learn the ins and outs that you will never again have a use for access. Also, as others have already stated...these forums are probably the best possible resource for help. Theres 10-15 people on here that are truly amazing, they know it all and are all more then willing to help in anyway possible. In many cases they even offer phone support to users who need a leg-up. Its a great community, I would even go so far as to say its more of a "family" here on the boards. I truly hope that you stick with alpha, it'll be rocky at first but soon enough it will be smooth sailing. :-)
    Joel Domen
    Material Resources and Planning Manager
    NAFCO Industries

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ray in Capetown View Post
    Hi Mike
    If you're still out there, I just discovered the forum.
    Funny that - your first request
    "My biggest problem is just getting started, I just want to be able to use a combo-box to open another form with the relevant data on it having come from that first forms combo box (which can contain any number of info fields). Seems like the easiest thing to me but so far I have been stumped by it!"

When I convinced my associate to get the trial of A5V9 6 weeks ago, THAT also was his first requirement. I found a workaround in Susans A5MadeEasy. He says in Access it is a given, shouldn't have to use a workaround. He went back to Access. If you find a straighforward way using a combo box, let me know.
    Joel probably said it best but here's another viewpoint. Hopefully a thought provoking one....

Just because they are both databases doesn't mean they have to work the same. In fact, from everything I've read (and in some cases, done), Lotus Approach, SQL, MySQL, Cache, Oracle, and others don't work the same way as Access. In fact, I don't think any of them really work the same as any of the others.

All modes of transportation don't work the same either. Here's a parody of Mike's post just to make the point. (Not trying to be nasty - just making a point.)

"My biggest problem is just getting started, I just want to be able to use a car to get from one place to another the same way as I do with my boat. [Just put it in the water, start the engine, and go.] Seems like the easiest thing to me but so far I have been stumped by it!" [Every time I put the car in the water, it just sinks.]

When I convinced my associate to get the trial car 6 weeks ago, THAT also was his first requirement. I found a workaround in Cal's Car Driving Made Easy - according to Cal I should try driving the car on roads. My associate says in Boats it is a given, shouldn't have to use a workaround. He went back to Boats. If you find a straighforward way of using a car, let me know.

OK, that probably sounds pretty stupid on the surface but think about it. We all know that driving a car is not the same as piloting a boat, driving a train, flying an airplane, or piloting a space shuttle even though they can all be used to transport someone or something from one place to another. They all have different ways of accomplishing the same basic thing. Yes, the strong points of each one is different but they are all "just a mode of transportation". Certainly a person can get on any one of them and get transported from one place to another. Similarly, each database product is "just a database" but each one works differently and has different strong points.

In the end, you need to pick the one that is best suited to do the job you need done and then learn how to use it.

A new pilot probably spends at least 120 hours learning the basics of flying before getting a license - a minimum of 40 hrs. in the air and usually more than twice that in ground training and personal study time. Spend half that time studying how to use Alpha Five and I bet you won't go back to Access.

Real Name
    Mike D

Hi Cal

I guess you make a fair point..and I wont argue with you on it.

The problem as I see it is that people have said to me "WOW, you develop with Access, look at this database I created with Alpha-5, did not even need to use any code at all..the Genies did it all for me!"

I'm so used to never using Wizards or Genies (I normally Code everything), that I thought I'd give it a try. So I went into it, I admit, expecting an incredibly short learn time and got snagged up on what I felt should be a pretty simple thing. (If you have ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...this is what Pirsig referred to as a Gumption Trap...i.e. Mentally thinking ahead of how you visulize the job or project going then finding things are not quite as you presumed)...then when my first post here

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=77026

which was precisely about the whole combobox thing, never got much attention I was a bit dissapointed. I thought, well although with some of the access forums there are some pretty insulting Experts? at least there are so many forums around you can be pretty sure of coming out with an answer.

After my first foray onto these forums I felt this may not be the case with Alpha which was what worried me.

Anyway 'nuff said, I still intend to carry on with Alpha as and when I get time, which will mainly be weekends. I can justify a lot of time at work writing a database but I cant justify too much learning a product.

I also have found reading other's posts on here to be very good value at getting a little better aquainted with Alpha.

Thanks
    Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Mike (and others),
    I also have found reading other's posts on here to be very good value at getting a little better aquainted with Alpha.
    You have realized what I contend to be the best and easiest way to learn Alpha, but to carry it a bit further....Don't just read the posts--search out and use all the samples that have been attached to this messageboard. Categorize them into what can be a very extensive help library of these and also use the code snippets (mine now has over 400 sample databases and over 500 code snippets). I went as far as when first learning to simply search the forums just for attachments, downloaded, and then organized them. Whenever I cannot figure something out now I use my help file first, then Alpha's, then the messageboard. Then I will resort to starting a thread if I still cannot find an answer.

Hope this technique will be of some use--it has stead me and many others here I know.
    Mike

Real Name
    Mike D

Cheers Mike I'll do that too as soon as I get a moment or weekend or two.

Thanks
    Mike

Real Name
    Richard Rabins

To jump in here I have to violently agree with with Cal and Mike C.

Databases and database development tools are quite different from other tools that are generally thought of as belonging in an "office suite".

Unlike a spreadsheet or presentation or word processing application, databases tools are much more abstract in their nature and provide the user with many more "degrees of freedom" in what can be done with them.

That is both the good news and the bad news.

First the good news.This freedom means that virtually any kind of custom application can be built them and in that sense they are like chameleons because they can take on so many different forms/disguises/appearances along with different functionalities. Now for the bad news. This flexibility is possible because of the abstract nature of database development tools and the requirement to carefully think through your table structure and the relationships between tables which means that to master the art of building database applications definitely takes more time and effort than learning how to use a tool like PowerPoint or Word. At the end of the (as has been pointed out by other folks on this thread,) it is well worth it!!

Also we do recognize the need to assist customers with training materials and we have released 2 online/downloadable training courses in the last few months. If you need more info about these 2 courses just email me directy at richard@alphasoftware.com

Best wishes for 2009!
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Richard Rabins

More info on the latest training course for building web apps in alpha five.

http://www.imakenews.com/alphasoftwa...x000329252.cfm
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Valerie Simpkins

BUILDING WEB APPLICATIONS IN ALPHA FIVE JUST GOT EASIER!!
    Intellectual Business Solutions is pleased to announce the release of our
    Building Web Applications Level 2 Learning Guide

Here's what's inside...
    - Set up and implement advanced security for an application.
    - Create and work with user registration dialogs.
    - Filter data in components using arguments.
    - Get tips for using Xbasic code and programming on the web.
    - Create web pages that use "Includes".
    - Create and work with request variables.
    - Create components which can be modified at runtime.
    - Set common overrides for components.
    - Create Freeform regions on pages and in components.
    - Create a complete page using a single Freeform.
    - Build a web page without a component (hand-code a page).
    - Create an AJAX-enabled web page.
    - Use AJAX and JavaScript to enhance web application performance.
    - Create a dialog which integrates with Google Maps.
    - Create a dialog to run reports from the web.
    - Create a dialog to allow users to upload files to the server.
    - and much more.

Complete with:
    • Step-by-step learning
    • Undocumented Alpha Five features & functions
    • Real-world examples
    • Over 400 fully-illustrated pages

Buy it now at our
    online store

You can purchase this learning guide and other Alpha Five v9 titles. There are five (5) titles in this series! Choose from our pre-set book bundles or create your own bundle and save.

View the Outline

A value that goes way beyond price.

Intellectual Business Solutions, Inc.
    Visit our website
    Valerie Simpkins
    Intellectual Business Solutions, Inc.™
    Business Intelligence for Intelligent Business™
    301-249-3400
    vsimpkins@intellectualbusinesssolutions.com
    www.intellectualbusinesssolutions.com

Real Name
    Milton Carhuas

Default Alpha 5 Training Resources..whats out there?

Hi everybody

I have the book (in printed version) Alpha Five version 9 Level 2, but I lost the sample files of the example project (case study) "Event Planning database" (who have the books, knows that in the book it works with the samples files of Event Planning database). Please, if someone have that sample files, someone could give me a link to download the samples files and exercises.

I'm learning yet and I need help of someone.

Regards.

Milton.

Real Name
    Mike D

Hi Milton cant help you but can you advise where you got the book from please? Thanks Mike

Real Name
    Susan H. Bush

I can't help you with that either, but we do have books on Alpha Five. Go to www.LibertyManuals.comfor a full selection of versions.
    • Alpha Five Made Easy, The Basics and More for Version 10.

• Coming soon, Alpha Five Web Applications Made Easy, The Basics and More for Version 10.5

Susan Bush

Real Name
    Susan H. Bush

Just one further note - want to make it clear that we have books for all versions of Alpha Five back to V4.5. http://www.libertymanuals.com

Susan