Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha 5 Training Resources..whats out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha 5 Training Resources..whats out there?

Hi Mike
    If you're still out there, I just discovered the forum.
    Funny that - your first request
    "My biggest problem is just getting started, I just want to be able to use a combo-box to open another form with the relevant data on it having come from that first forms combo box (which can contain any number of info fields). Seems like the easiest thing to me but so far I have been stumped by it!"

When I convinced my associate to get the trial of A5V9 6 weeks ago, THAT also was his first requirement. I found a workaround in Susans A5MadeEasy. He says in Access it is a given, shouldn't have to use a workaround. He went back to Access. If you find a straighforward way using a combo box, let me know.

Comment

Hi Ray

I'm still tossing up weather I carry on with A5 or not. I'd like to as it appears to offer much better user interfaces , but We will see.

Take a look at this thread I started the other day and look at the sample database Tim put up there on a post it amazingly does exactly what we are talking about!!

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=77307

All the best to you.

Mike

Comment

I also had the thought that I would be able to just jump right in and fly away with apps...sadly its not the case. Considering the fact that alpha offers so many features it just isnt realistic to think that you can whip out a perfect product after having it for a couple weeks. I did find that the more time I spent on these forums just reading others posts that I absorbed a huge ammount of information. I trust that if you give alpha enough time to learn the ins and outs that you will never again have a use for access. Also, as others have already stated...these forums are probably the best possible resource for help. Theres 10-15 people on here that are truly amazing, they know it all and are all more then willing to help in anyway possible. In many cases they even offer phone support to users who need a leg-up. Its a great community, I would even go so far as to say its more of a "family" here on the boards. I truly hope that you stick with alpha, it'll be rocky at first but soon enough it will be smooth sailing. :-)
        Joel Domen
        Material Resources and Planning Manager
        NAFCO Industries

Comment

Originally posted by Ray in Capetown View Post
          Hi Mike
          If you're still out there, I just discovered the forum.
          Funny that - your first request
          "My biggest problem is just getting started, I just want to be able to use a combo-box to open another form with the relevant data on it having come from that first forms combo box (which can contain any number of info fields). Seems like the easiest thing to me but so far I have been stumped by it!"

When I convinced my associate to get the trial of A5V9 6 weeks ago, THAT also was his first requirement. I found a workaround in Susans A5MadeEasy. He says in Access it is a given, shouldn't have to use a workaround. He went back to Access. If you find a straighforward way using a combo box, let me know.
          Joel probably said it best but here's another viewpoint. Hopefully a thought provoking one....

Just because they are both databases doesn't mean they have to work the same. In fact, from everything I've read (and in some cases, done), Lotus Approach, SQL, MySQL, Cache, Oracle, and others don't work the same way as Access. In fact, I don't think any of them really work the same as any of the others.

All modes of transportation don't work the same either. Here's a parody of Mike's post just to make the point. (Not trying to be nasty - just making a point.)

"My biggest problem is just getting started, I just want to be able to use a car to get from one place to another the same way as I do with my boat. [Just put it in the water, start the engine, and go.] Seems like the easiest thing to me but so far I have been stumped by it!" [Every time I put the car in the water, it just sinks.]

When I convinced my associate to get the trial car 6 weeks ago, THAT also was his first requirement. I found a workaround in Cal's Car Driving Made Easy - according to Cal I should try driving the car on roads. My associate says in Boats it is a given, shouldn't have to use a workaround. He went back to Boats. If you find a straighforward way of using a car, let me know.

OK, that probably sounds pretty stupid on the surface but think about it. We all know that driving a car is not the same as piloting a boat, driving a train, flying an airplane, or piloting a space shuttle even though they can all be used to transport someone or something from one place to another. They all have different ways of accomplishing the same basic thing. Yes, the strong points of each one is different but they are all "just a mode of transportation". Certainly a person can get on any one of them and get transported from one place to another. Similarly, each database product is "just a database" but each one works differently and has different strong points.

In the end, you need to pick the one that is best suited to do the job you need done and then learn how to use it.

A new pilot probably spends at least 120 hours learning the basics of flying before getting a license - a minimum of 40 hrs. in the air and usually more than twice that in ground training and personal study time. Spend half that time studying how to use Alpha Five and I bet you won't go back to Access.

Comment

Hi Cal

I guess you make a fair point..and I wont argue with you on it.

The problem as I see it is that people have said to me "WOW, you develop with Access, look at this database I created with Alpha-5, did not even need to use any code at all..the Genies did it all for me!"

I'm so used to never using Wizards or Genies (I normally Code everything), that I thought I'd give it a try. So I went into it, I admit, expecting an incredibly short learn time and got snagged up on what I felt should be a pretty simple thing. (If you have ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...this is what Pirsig referred to as a Gumption Trap...i.e. Mentally thinking ahead of how you visulize the job or project going then finding things are not quite as you presumed)...then when my first post here

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=77026

which was precisely about the whole combobox thing, never got much attention I was a bit dissapointed. I thought, well although with some of the access forums there are some pretty insulting Experts? at least there are so many forums around you can be pretty sure of coming out with an answer.

After my first foray onto these forums I felt this may not be the case with Alpha which was what worried me.

Anyway 'nuff said, I still intend to carry on with Alpha as and when I get time, which will mainly be weekends. I can justify a lot of time at work writing a database but I cant justify too much learning a product.

I also have found reading other's posts on here to be very good value at getting a little better aquainted with Alpha.

Thanks
            Mike

Comment

Mike (and others),
              I also have found reading other's posts on here to be very good value at getting a little better aquainted with Alpha.
              You have realized what I contend to be the best and easiest way to learn Alpha, but to carry it a bit further....Don't just read the posts--search out and use all the samples that have been attached to this messageboard. Categorize them into what can be a very extensive help library of these and also use the code snippets (mine now has over 400 sample databases and over 500 code snippets). I went as far as when first learning to simply search the forums just for attachments, downloaded, and then organized them. Whenever I cannot figure something out now I use my help file first, then Alpha's, then the messageboard. Then I will resort to starting a thread if I still cannot find an answer.

Hope this technique will be of some use--it has stead me and many others here I know.
              Mike

Comment

Cheers Mike I'll do that too as soon as I get a moment or weekend or two.

Thanks
                Mike

Comment

To jump in here I have to violently agree with with Cal and Mike C.

Databases and database development tools are quite different from other tools that are generally thought of as belonging in an "office suite".

Unlike a spreadsheet or presentation or word processing application, databases tools are much more abstract in their nature and provide the user with many more "degrees of freedom" in what can be done with them.

That is both the good news and the bad news.

First the good news.This freedom means that virtually any kind of custom application can be built them and in that sense they are like chameleons because they can take on so many different forms/disguises/appearances along with different functionalities. Now for the bad news. This flexibility is possible because of the abstract nature of database development tools and the requirement to carefully think through your table structure and the relationships between tables which means that to master the art of building database applications definitely takes more time and effort than learning how to use a tool like PowerPoint or Word. At the end of the (as has been pointed out by other folks on this thread,) it is well worth it!!

Also we do recognize the need to assist customers with training materials and we have released 2 online/downloadable training courses in the last few months. If you need more info about these 2 courses just email me directy at [email protected]

Best wishes for 2009!
                  Richard Rabins
                  Co Chairman
                  Alpha Software

Comment

More info on the latest training course for building web apps in alpha five.

http://www.imakenews.com/alphasoftwa...x000329252.cfm
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

BUILDING WEB APPLICATIONS IN ALPHA FIVE JUST GOT EASIER!!
                      Intellectual Business Solutions is pleased to announce the release of our
                      Building Web Applications Level 2 Learning Guide

Here's what's inside...
                      - Set up and implement advanced security for an application.
                      - Create and work with user registration dialogs.
                      - Filter data in components using arguments.
                      - Get tips for using Xbasic code and programming on the web.
                      - Create web pages that use "Includes".
                      - Create and work with request variables.
                      - Create components which can be modified at runtime.
                      - Set common overrides for components.
                      - Create Freeform regions on pages and in components.
                      - Create a complete page using a single Freeform.
                      - Build a web page without a component (hand-code a page).
                      - Create an AJAX-enabled web page.
                      - Use AJAX and JavaScript to enhance web application performance.
                      - Create a dialog which integrates with Google Maps.
                      - Create a dialog to run reports from the web.
                      - Create a dialog to allow users to upload files to the server.
                      - and much more.

Complete with:
                      • Step-by-step learning
                      • Undocumented Alpha Five features & functions
                      • Real-world examples
                      • Over 400 fully-illustrated pages

Buy it now at our
                      online store

You can purchase this learning guide and other Alpha Five v9 titles. There are five (5) titles in this series! Choose from our pre-set book bundles or create your own bundle and save.

View the Outline

A value that goes way beyond price.

Intellectual Business Solutions, Inc.
                      Visit our website
                      Valerie Simpkins
                      Intellectual Business Solutions, Inc.�
                      Business Intelligence for Intelligent Business�
                      301-249-3400
                      [email protected]
                      www.intellectualbusinesssolutions.com

Comment

Alpha 5 Training Resources..whats out there?

Hi everybody

I have the book (in printed version) Alpha Five version 9 Level 2, but I lost the sample files of the example project (case study) "Event Planning database" (who have the books, knows that in the book it works with the samples files of Event Planning database). Please, if someone have that sample files, someone could give me a link to download the samples files and exercises.

I'm learning yet and I need help of someone.

Regards.

Milton.

Comment

Hi Milton cant help you but can you advise where you got the book from please? Thanks Mike

Comment

I can't help you with that either, but we do have books on Alpha Five. Go to www.LibertyManuals.comfor a full selection of versions.
                            • Alpha Five Made Easy, The Basics and More for Version 10.
                            • Coming soon, Alpha Five Web Applications Made Easy, The Basics and More for Version 10.5

Susan Bush
                            sigpic Susan Bush, Liberty Manuals Co. Books for Alpha Anywhere mobile, web and desktop.

Comment

Just one further note - want to make it clear that we have books for all versions of Alpha Five back to V4.5. http://www.libertymanuals.com

Susan
                              sigpic Susan Bush, Liberty Manuals Co. Books for Alpha Anywhere mobile, web and desktop.

Comment

Working...
                              X