Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Runtime vs. Run Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runtime vs. Run Engine

Ok, so I develop my application. I am selling each copy to be ran on "one" machine with "one" user. As I understand it, the Run Engine must have "individual" licenses for "each" sale made. Thus making either me or the end user have to buy a license from Alpha, right?

So, Joe buys a copy of my app for $59.95 and since it is distributed with a run engine, he must also pay Alpha for a license key, or I must buy it for him. Correct? Thus making the Run Engine cost prohibitive....
    Kevin G. Timberlake
    Marvel Illusions

Re: Runtime vs. Run Engine

I have the 5 user license for the run engine...
    Kevin G. Timberlake
    Marvel Illusions

Comment

Doesn't that depend on what "cost prohibitive" means?

If the choices are:

1. I can purchase this A5 app with the Run Engine for $400 (not sure what the exact cost would be) and access/modify the info in my SQL database all I need.

or....

2. I can have someone else develop an Oracle application to do the same thing for only $40,000.

Then I'd say A5 is not cost prohibitive.

That's probably not a very realistic situation but the point is, "What are the alternatives?"

Of course, if you're not dealing with a SQL database then the RunTime is all you need.

Comment

Well if you look at it from my position, my app sells for only $60.00 and I purchased the Platinum with 5 user run engine so I can distribute my apps. However if the end user has to pay me $60.00 and then buy a license from alpha just to use it, I don't know...sounds redundant to me to spend $400.00 for this and then have to buy a new license for each and every app I sell. I was under the impression that the runtime and the run engine were able to be distributed with an app after purchasing like with V7 and V8. But the way I understand it, each user has to buy a license for their app after they buy it from me. "Double dipping" comes to mind. I bought the Run Engine and in order for the end user to be able to use it, they or I must pay Alpha more money.

I do not make databases that sell for no $40,000.00.

As for the alternatives...Back to Filemaker where it only costs me $400.00 and I can distribute my apps with a runtime/engine and I only pay the "one time fee".
        Kevin G. Timberlake
        Marvel Illusions

Comment

Wouldn't the unlimited license be more suitable for you. See here:
          http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=75656

Comment

the unlimited distribution license is definitely the way to go
            Richard Rabins
            Co Chairman
            Alpha Software

Comment

Well since I already have the 5 user run engine, not really. My only issue is if I already purchased a 5 user run engine, "why do I need to buy a license for EACH app I sell?"
              Kevin G. Timberlake
              Marvel Illusions

Comment

Each app is a one user app anyway.
                Kevin G. Timberlake
                Marvel Illusions

Comment

Does your app use a SQL database?

If not, then you only needed the Runtime rather than the Run Engine. That would allow you to sell the same app to multiple people without purchasing extra copies of the runtime.

However, even the Runtime license requires that you or your customer would need to purchase another runtime to use with a different app.

Even with a different app, the extra cost of the runtime is not prohibitive. The cost of the runtime would normally be a small fraction of the hourly costs to develop the new application.

Re: "I do not make databases that sell for no $40,000.00."
                  Neither do I. My point, although I hope my example was actually a bit extreme, was that it might cost this much to have the same app done in one of the SQL databases. In that case, the customer would still be better off purchasing the Run Engine. Besides, if it was done in Oracle, I bet they'd have to buy a copy of Oracle as well - $$$$.

Comment

It does not use SQL. The reason for the run engine is so the end user can make custom reports. But STILL I paid $400.00 for the package being told I would be able to distribute an unlimited number of apps to an unlimited number of customers using the run engine as long as no more than 5 users were using it at the same time. Why would I buy something, pay money for it, and then have to pay MORE money just to use it???

If I sold you my app for $60.00, you would expect that the $60.00 would cover you being able to use the app...right? You would not expect to buy it from me and then have to pay Alpha another fee just to run the thing! Why do they sell the run engine (which is needed to use the finished app) to us and then say, "Oh, by the way, if you want to actually USE the thing, pay us more money and we will give you a license."
                    Kevin G. Timberlake
                    Marvel Illusions

Comment

Kevin please contact [email protected]

and they will give you credit for what you have against the unlimited distribution licenses which will meet all of your needs
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

I appreciate that Richard. I just don't see why an unlimited license is needed when each of my databases sold are single user databases. Not company orientated, but individual orientated. We were under the impression that the "5 user" license was if there were 5 users using the app at, say, an office. But mine are targeted to individuals not groups. Thus by purchasing the 5 user Run Engine would suffice an unlimited number of sales/distributions of my app. The difference of paying $200.00 for EACH app I sell just so the customer can use the app, and using Filemaker Pro Advanced (at a whopping $499.00) and having the ability to sell 100 copies of my app but the $499.00 being all the cost I would EVER have to pay is mind boggeling.
                        Kevin G. Timberlake
                        Marvel Illusions

Comment

Looking at the pricing and "reading between the lines", I'd guess that you bought the Run Engine because the 5 user Run Engine was cheaper than the 5 user RunTime.

It's not really obvious without reading carefully but the differences between runtime and run engine are listed on this Alpha web page. After studying these you can see why the Run Engine is less expensive - it's limited to one computer. However, overall the Run Engine is usually more expensive because you must purchase more of them. The additional SQL functionality (which you apparently don't need) has something to do with that.

EDIT: I found this thread where Brett Johnson explains the Unlimited Run Engine license. It truly is unlimited. And, at this point, it looks like it won't cost you any more than purchasing a new 5-user runtime.

Key phrases from their comparison page:

The key difference between the Alpha Five Runtime and Run Engine is that the Run Engine supports "active-link" tables, while the Runtime does not.
                          The redistribution licenses for the Runtime and Run Engine are also different. (See below for details.)
                          Runtime Redistribution
                          A "packaged" (i.e. off-the-shelf) application is an application that is sold either entirely, or largely "as is" to multiple customers.

The Runtime program may be freely distributed with a "packaged" application.
                          Run Engine Redistribution
                          Each copy of the Alpha Five Run Engine that you distribute requires a Run Engine license. The Run Engine is licensed on a "per seat" basis. This means that each machine on which a Run Engine is installed will require a license.
                          Last edited by CALocklin; 12-13-2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Somehow Cal's thread link to Brett's post added an additional http:// which breaks it. Here it is again...

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...12&postcount=7
                            Mike

Comment

ok...
                              Last edited by Kevin G. Timberlake; 12-14-2008, 12:41 AM.
                              Kevin G. Timberlake
                              Marvel Illusions

Comment

Working...
                              X