Alpha Video Training

Thread: Grid speed vs. Dialog speed...

Real Name
    John

Default Grid speed vs. Dialog speed...

I read in other posts that there's a large execution overhead in web grids as opposed to hand coded (xbasic) grids...

Is there also a similar overhead in "dialog" web forms?

Thanks.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: Grid speed vs. Dialog speed...

Quote Originally Posted by jfh2005 View Post
    I read in other posts that there's a large execution overhead in web grids as opposed to hand coded (xbasic) grids...
    There can be a large overhead.... The more you ask a grid to do, the longer it will take...usually....

Quote Originally Posted by jfh2005 View Post
    Is there also a similar overhead in "dialog" web forms?

Thanks.
    I repeat myself.... substitute dialog for grid. - Most of What I've seen in dialogs are more straightforward and therefore faster..

I've seen and I've made both grids and dialogs that are very fast(< 2 seconds to respond). And I've seen and made them very slow....

Some of the things that I've done I was sure would slow a grid to a crawl - but they didn't.. Some others have had greater effect..

I find that the more horsepower the server has and the greater bandwidth of the internet connection is the true performance effecter..( new word?)

You want to make a grid/dialog slow? put a few hundred thousand items in a drop down list that has to be load multiple times... But that's not a good idea....

I have one grid that responds in 3-4 seconds. But it scans another web page, reads all of the NFL scores for the week or ongoing during the games, scraps those teams, scores, and disposition of the game, puts them into a table, combined with my selections for the week and tells me how I'm doing in my football pool with the picks that I made(via a grid). This is a very important web app for me....

I'll keep tweaking it and make it faster, but it's just as fast as it desktop counter part that does the same thing....

ie, your mileage may vary..

Have fun...
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    John

Default Re: Grid speed vs. Dialog speed...

Al - Thanks for that info!