Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Keeping it simple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping it simple

Keeping it simple

I used a simple structure to compose a letter for different customers. I used a �record list Combo Box� and used a table for the different letter component. Printing can be done by using the report functionality. I really like this structure because it straight forward and easy to understand.

The problem is this:
    1).the combo box doesn't allow word wrap
    2).the characters in the combo box are randomly in upper and lower case
    3).the options in the combo box don't show completely.

So now I'm considering to use an embedded browse with a check box but the problem is this. How do I store the selected choices in the �administration table�. I looked for a solution for about 20 hours but I can't find the answer or just don't recognize the answer.

I really need some help on this one. The main goal is to keep it simple. The embedded browse doesn't necessarily have to be multi selectable. Five different embedded browses for five different answers would work just fine for me. Maybe it's even better. Any other simple solution is welcome to.

To make things more understandable I produced an example. Thanks in advance!

Re: Keeping it simple

Hi Werder,

I have looked at your application and can understand why you are unhappy with the way the combo is displaying the text. What I dont understand is what you are trying to do.

The main goal is to keep it simple
    Keep what simple?

Are you trying to make make report selection simple or are you trying to use the Comp_Id as a filter in a report?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Keith,

I would like to keep the structure (work flow) simple and the solution easy to understand.

The comp_ID is not used as a filter in a report because all the required letter components are already filtered by using the a combo box on the form. Every new letter has a unique �Adm_id� and the selected choices are stored in the �administration table�. The �administration table� is used to print the report. At least this how I see things working smoothly. Because I'm a new alpha user I can easily misinterpret what your asking or saying so I hope I understood your questions correct and answered them correctly.

Thanks for your time, Werder

Comment

Hi Werder,
        I would like to keep the structure (work flow) simple and the solution easy to understand.
        I think that is what every one wants.
        The �administration table� is used to print the report
        What does that mean? I do not understand this, how are you using the table to print a report?
        Every new letter has a unique �Adm_id� and the selected choices are stored in the �administration table�.
        Does this mean the �administration table� used to record what reports have been printed?

There is no report in your sample.

Where are you? Do you have Skype?
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
          I think that is what every one wants. What does that mean?
          I guess it's like money. Most people want to be a millionaire but most people are not really willing or able to put in the effort. I was just trying to say I'm willing to produce the thought and I'm also willing to putt it into practice. I am looking for people who want to put it into practice to.

I do not understand this, how are you using the table to print a report?
          I designed a report an placed all letter components from the �administration table� on there position and saved the report. (For the moment) I opened the �administration table�, marked different records, from the file menu I selected �print / send selected records�, selected the report that I made earlier and all the records where printed. To print a letter directly from the form I will place a button on the form. I guess this is or should be a simple thing to accomplish within Alpha five.

Does this mean the �administration table� used to record what reports have been printed?
          I meant the selected choice in the combo box. You asked me if I was trying to use the Comp_Id as a filter in a report? I probably misunderstood / stand your question.

There is no report in your sample.
          I did not include a report because I assumed my approach on printing the records is very common.

Where are you? Do you have Skype?
          I am Dutch and on Skype but my braincells don't work fast enough to explain what I mean and to understand what is been said in English. Thanks for the offer anyway and if you still want to give it a try on Skype it's no problem.

Comment

Hi Werder,

I'm very sorry, I am no nearer understanding what you are trying to do.

Can you post a very simple app with a table, form and a report with something that you have tried to do and what it is you really want to achieve.

My problem is that brain cells dont work at all in Dutch. At least yours do have some speed in English.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

No problem Keith, I'm glad your taking the time to understand what I'm trying to accomplish.

In the example I use the five combo boxes like you've seen before, only now I have added the report. Every combo box represents one choice and a selection is stored in the �administration table�. Combo box one stores in administration table �component_1, combo box two stores in administration table �component_2 etc..

I would like to replace the five combo boxes with five embedded browses. The main reason for replacing the combo box is the need for word wrap. I would like the embedded browse to work exactly the same as a combo box. This means: embedded browse one stores the choice in the administration table �component_1�. Embedded browse two stores the choice in the administration table �component_2� etc.. To avoid mistakes every embedded browse should only allow one choice. If there is another simple solution / workaround for this word wrap problem I would like to hear about it.

For now the only other thing missing is a button on the form to print a report for that same form. This means: when all letter components is selected and the customer information is filled in I want to be able to press the print button and print that letter directly without having to go to a menu.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them, Werder

Ps. I have included a browse in the control panel and have tried to implant it in the form but did not succeed. When opening this browse directly I see all the letter components. When opening the browse within the form the letter components are no longer visible.

Comment

Hi Werder,

Thank you for this new sample of your application.

I recommend you have a good long hard look at AlphaSports.

I'm not sure what experience you have had with building a database but with the samples you have supplied, they do not match the questions you are asking.

Before you do anymore development work, I suggest you get hold of everything Alpha has to offer in means of tutorials.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Before you do anymore development work, I suggest you get hold of everything Alpha has to offer in means of tutorials.
                  Is there something wrong with my application?

I recommend you have a good long hard look at AlphaSports.
                  Is the word wrap problem solved within Alpha sport?

Originally posted by werder101010 View Post
                  The problem is this:
                  1).the combo box doesn't allow word wrap
                  2).the characters in the combo box are randomly in upper and lower case
                  3).the options in the combo box don't show completely.
                  I'm not sure what experience you have had with building a database but with the samples you have supplied, they do not match the questions you are asking.
                  Originally posted by werder101010 View Post
                  Any other simple solution is welcome to.
                  Keith, What are you talking about?

Comment

I forgot to share the solution I used:

Create a browse on the browse tab in the control panel, select the browse properties and select word-wrap on the format tab, change the hight of the table and save the browse. Define a table lookup in the field rules and replace the default browse with your own saved browse.

When you need more detailed instructions just let me know.

Comment

Hi Werder,

Thank you for the update.

I'm very pleased for you as I was very confused as to exactly what it was you wanted to do.
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Working...
                      X