Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Lookup stopped working???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookup stopped working???

I have just downloaded the latest patch to hopefully cure another problem I was having with printing. Unfortunately the new patch hasn't resolved the printing issue (when printing multiple copies it seems to print the square number of copies rather than the number specified e.g. if I ask for 2 copies I get 4 etc...).

The new patch now seems to have introduced another problem into a database app. that has been working without too many issues over the last 3-4 years. Does anyone else have a problem with the lookup function? I have a field which is asking for a Vendor ID the field is filled using field rules - lookup which was working fine last week, but now it isn't - the only thing that seems to have changed is the patch!

The lookup displays correctly, however it refuses to fill the field on the form.

Has anyone else come across this problem or is it only me??

I have added a screenshot of the field rules in case it is something silly that I am doing wrong, however this has been working fine for a long time now and has only just decided to break!

The only way I have managed to fill in the field on the form is by manually typing in the Vendor Id which it accepts - can anyone advise what could be causing this problem, I have just tried a Database compact which didn't seem to make any difference, I am now going to try a full reboot of the PC to see if this helps.

Full reboot didn't help either!
    Last edited by Alastair; 12-24-2008, 07:37 AM. Reason: Further info. added incl. screen shot.

Re: Lookup stopped working???

Hi Alastair,

I have installed the latest patch, tested on AlphaSports new invoice. Lookup works as expected.

Have you tried this on AlphaSports?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Try deleting the lookup information, save the table, switch to no lookup, save, exit the table, re-enter the table and re-build the lookup. Sometimes, I have found, that rebuilding it revives it. Why? Don't know.
      Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
        I have just downloaded the latest patch to hopefully cure another problem I was having with printing. Unfortunately the new patch hasn't resolved the printing issue (when printing multiple copies it seems to print the square number of copies rather than the number specified e.g. if I ask for 2 copies I get 4 etc...).

Try going to the Windows "Settings" area. Hightlight your printer, and see if somehow you've set your printing preferences to: 2 copies

Regards,
        --Bob

Comment

Yes, my lookup function has stopped working. The item I select from the table does not modify the field as it should (and always has).

Comment

Same problem - lookup does not fill in any table after updating to Build 1924 3237.

for last few years never had this problem

so re installed build 1831 3212 which is the last update i had..

now all working as it was before.

strange !!

v.p

Comment

I am having the same problem with the Fill function on table look-up
              Unfortunately I am using this feature on several customer databases. What is the solution? Do I have to go back to an older version of the database?

Follow-up: I went back to build 1836 and all is well again. I hope this will be fixed in a new patch.
              Last edited by Fred Cochrane; 12-26-2008, 01:40 PM.

Comment

The product lookup on the Invoice form in AlphaSports seems to be working correctly, using build 1927_3238 (new browse). Not sure what "stopped working" means, but if someone posts an example we can all test, maybe we can identify the cause and get it reported correctly.

Comment

I am unable to post an example, but I can tell you what "not working" means. In a database set, a drop-down lookup table will open correctly. However, when you select an item from it, it does not update or change the field in the current record. This problem appears to have just been introduced in the build released a couple of days ago. I was able to change my way of working to compensate, so I don't have an example to send.

Comment

Tom,
                    Attached is the one of the databases I am using. When a new item is added in the Purchased Items set, Purchased From and Made By are filled by selecting from the Table in those two fields on the form.
                    No entry results with the new patch is applied. It works OK with earlier builds.
                    Regards,
                    Fred

Comment

Jay, I'm curious if you have the same trouble with the Invoice form in AlphaSports?

I'm curious if you have the same trouble with the attached example?

Both work fine for me with build 1927_3238 (new browse).

If both of these examples work for you, what was different in your setup when things were NOT getting filled in?
                      Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 12-26-2008, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Fred, could you fill in some dummy data in a handful of records? Would make testing here easier, and would eliminate variations that might slip in if we make stuff up ourselves.

Also, I don't see a table lookup field rule for the "Purchase_From" field. Is it supposed to be auto-filled when a different field triggers a table lookup? Which field?

You understand, I suppose, that the source table for your lookup field rule does NOT have to be a member of the current set. In fact, it's often a mistake to make it so.

The "C" field in Items table uses a table lookup to auto-fill the MadeBy field. But the field rules for the same table define a table lookup for the MadeBy field that pulls data from a different source. These rules appear to be directly contradictory. What values do you wish to store in MadeBy field in each Items table record?
                        Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 12-26-2008, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Alistair

It does not work. (3238) After reading your post I went and check about half a dozen lookup & fill parts of my app. None of them work. The number of fields being filled range from 1 to 6. None of them work. All had been tested extensively.

Comment

Tom,
                            You are right, Made_By has no rules, it is filled from C and Purch_From is filled from N, a left over from another design that I never picked up. It is corrected in this sample but it really doesn't matter for this problem.
                            I am using the N and C fields to link to provide a one to one link to the other tables. Maybe not very elegant but it works (or it did until the recent patch).
                            I am trying a sample with data but is may be too large for your filter.
                            Hope this works, it takes a lot of time to try to skinny down the database and leave some data.
                            Regards,
                            Fred

Comment

Fred, I see the problem and have reported it to Alpha. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X