Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

OK..NEWBIE HERE...trying to A5 from A4V7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OK..NEWBIE HERE...trying to A5 from A4V7

Take a look at this website:

http://www.libertymanuals.com/

Check out Susan Bush's Alpha Five Made Easy. You can take a peek at the table of contents, plus a couple of chapters. It might be worth investing in?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hello to all (Penny, Craig, Peter, Stan)!

In the same vein as Penny's inquiry, I am in the process of finally upgrading from A4V3 to A5Vx (Version x to be determined - please see question 3).

I need some clarification on CRAIG's 'how to convert' information. I have found and documented the DBFs, sets, etc. (using A4DOC.exe) Note: My application is simply DBFs and reports - no scripts or application menus. Data entry is achieved simply by the Alpha Four Main Menu's 'View/enter records' option.

1. Craig, do I manually re-build the DBFs in A5 (typing in the fields one at a time) or is there a way to have A5 'copy' the A4 DBF structures into A5?

2. Once the DBFs are in A5, I am hoping to be able to 'copy' the existing A4 data into the new A5 DBFs. How do I accomplish this?

Once the data is in the new A5 DBFs, as I understand all the different posts, I will build the associated indexes, ranges, reports, rules, etc. MANUALLY (there is no 'automatic' 'conversion' tool from A4 to A5).

3. I am using the Alpha package for very simple tasks - entering and reporting data. I only need one instance (on one PC) of the DBFs, I have no multi-user needs, I have no web needs. I need the simplest, least expensive version of A5Vx out there. The A5V9 offer (for $89.00) looks like it will do the trick. The A5V10 looks like overkill. The A4V3 version I had worked fine for many years and I was only forced to upgrade when I replaced my 10 year old PC. Can I accomplish my simple tasks with A5V9?

Thanks, in advance, for any help given. I truly appreciate it. Have a great day!

Dan

Comment

The A5V9 offer (for $89.00) looks like it will do the trick.
        Unless otherwise indicated in some special offer I believe you will find the $89 price is no longer available.

The standard new user price is $199.

Most of the special offers I saw were to expire with the release of v10.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Hello all!

Stan, thanks for replying. I was able to get the $89.00 option, probably just under the V10 deadline.

I have had no response from Craig yet. I also sent him a 'personal reply' reminder, to please look at this post, as he might not be in this forum too often. If anyone else can answer my questions to Craig, that would be wonderful.

Thanks and have a great day!

Dan.

Comment

Hi Dan,

First question to you have any memo fields? If yes then there will be tables with the suffix of DBT.

Create a new folder and in the Windows environment, copy from you existing database, all the DBF and DBT files to the new folder.

Now start V9 and create a new application in the new folder. When this opens you will have a blank Control Panel. On the tool bar menu click on the Green Plus icon. This will open a dialog box, navigate to your new folder and you will see all your DBF tables. Click Add All and then OK. Now you will have all your tables and data in your new application.

Check through the tables, make sure the data is there. In particular the text in the memo fields.

Now you will have basic tables with raw data. Add field rules, if required. Add Indexes, if required.

Create new forms, in the forms Tab and reports in the Reports Tab.

Next I hope to see you asking questions in the V9 section of this forum.

Good luck.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith, hello!

Thanks, from across the pond. I will follow your instructions and let you know how it works out. I'm sure I will be asking a few questions on the A5V9 forum, once I get things converted from A4V3.

Have a great day, sir! Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                IOW, your steps are indeed very specific, so specific that w/o seeing the original A4 db, it's difficult, if not impossible, to understand.

Look at the sample A5 Sports db that comes w. Alpha. Maybe that will give you some ideas.
                Peter - thanks, I see that I need to back up about 100 steps to do more BEFORE I get to the form step. Thank you for your help and I have indeed looked at the A5 Sports "sample" company - it does indeed give direction and step by steps. I need to first get back to even more of the basics before I tackle the form (I can see now). Your guidance has been MOST helpful. If I get past the "stuctural" steps, the relational steps, the set steps - then I will get back to the forms and perhaps "ask" one step at a time the questions (if I can not get it from the tutorial or sample database). I see that I really should just "get" a handle on it - knowing NOW it will be even more involved than I ever imagined.

Comment

Ok Penny.... It's been awhile, so whats happened? Dick

Comment

Hi Penny,

Stumbled across your need for help.

If you haven't already read this - my 2 cents worth is to download and digest Cal Locklin's 'Alpha File naming Recommendations'

http://www.aimsdc.net/Tips_Funcs/Alp...onventions.htm

If I had read this before starting down the A5 trail, I would have saved may hours of regurgitating (?) my tables and file names.

Good Luck
                    Dave Mac

It's not so much what you don't know that gets you into trouble, but what you know for sure, that just ain't so. - Mark Twain.

Comment

Corrected link:

http://www.aimsdc.net/Tips_Funcs/A5_...onventions.htm

Comment

Craig I read your post to Penny. I started with A3 in the 80's and moved forward to A4v7 but could never get the conversion to A5. I wrote and designed everything myself so far and use it for my trucking company billing program. I bill about 800+ loads per month and the program works great but I realize I need to get onto A5 before the last of my XP computers die. I use Windows 7 and have A5v11 but just can't seem to get the final handle on things. I always made a new empty data base each month and brought forward all the forms and reports. I have designed all the reports in A5 and brought forward some of the data bases but just can't get the hang of taking an existing data base and creating a new one with all of the forms and reports from the old one. I'm close but just getting frustrated. I've tried to convert to A5 for several years but usually give up after a couple of weeks trying. Advice?
                        Mike

Comment

can't get the hang of taking an existing data base and creating a new one with all of the forms and reports from the old one
                          In A5 you would make a copy of the existing database in a new directory and empty all the tables.
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Stan, I'll try that tomorrow.

Comment

For all travelers finding this thread.
                              I just did a a4v6 to a5 v12 and the best help I had was the videos of his app sent to me that the client made with JIng. He also sent the documentation mentioned before. The videos were the most help though.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Look at the sample A5 Sports db that comes w. Alpha. Maybe that will give you some ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X