Alpha Video Training

Thread: "Simple" filter problem using week() Function to filter grid

Real Name
    Michael Scholin

Default "Simple" filter problem using week() Function to filter grid

I have spent hours messing around with many possible ways to do this - I get so close and I know it is just a bracket or date conversion away from getting it.

I am using a dialog on a page with a grid to filter the grid by the chosen dates which falls within a calendar week. The dialog contains a Date Calendar control. In the AfterValidate event, I have the following code (as an example):
    HTML Code:
    currentform.redirecttarget = "scheduler.a5w?grd_Scheduler_filter=Client_id=session.__protected__clientid.AND.Region_id=session.__protected__regionid.and.week(Date_of_service)=week(WEEKDATE)&grd_Scheduler_order=Date_of_service"
    If I substituted the WEEKDATE with an actual date and hit Submit on the dialog, it works just fine and filters the grid for those dates occuring withing that week. But when I try to use the calendar itself, it gives me an invalid filter error.

So my question is:
    1) How do I express a date value from the dialog to be used with week() function in the filter?
    2) How do I deal with making sure it pulls from the correct year as well?

I would appreciate any help or a better suggestion to filter the grid by selected weeks.

Thanks, Mike Scholin

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Default Re: "Simple" filter problem using week() Function to filter grid

Grids take care of a lot of the conversions for you, but dialogs leave that up to you.

values in the controls in a dialog are all character, so try
    week(ctod(WEEKDATE))

Pat

Real Name
    Michael Scholin

Default Re: "Simple" filter problem using week() Function to filter grid

Pat - thanks. You were correct about the ctod function, that got me closer. I really hate filters - there must be a cleaner way to write these things.

Here is the solution that I finally stumbled onto that solves both the dialog calendar issue and the year issue:

HTML Code:
    Filter = "week(Date_of_service) = week(ctod(\""+Weekdate+"\")) .and. year(date_of_service)=year(ctod(\""+Weekdate+"\")).AND.Client_id=session.__protected__clientid.AND.Region_id=session.__protected__regionid"
    currentform.redirecttarget = "scheduler.a5w?grd_Scheduler_filter="+Filter
    The reason I was having so much trouble was getting the aftervalidate to recognize the date field from the calendar on the dialog. It took all those screwy filter combination of (\""+ Field . . .etc) that I really have no idea as to what or why that works. But in the end and more than 8 hours later - I got them all in the right place.

I hope this will help out someone else who may be searching for the answer to a similar problem.