Alpha Video Training

Thread: OLE Call to Zebra Designer Pro or Bartender App

Real Name
    Ryland Wiltshire

Default OLE Call to Zebra Designer Pro or Bartender App

Hello,

I'm trying to print a 128 bar code format on the Zebra printer, and the IDAutomation Fonts are not compatable with the Zebra. So I'm using the Zebra Designer Pro, and running the labels via Excel since I cannot connect directly to the A5 default database. Is there a way that I can do an OLE call directly on a form that opens the App along with the Excel records I want to print Bar codes for. Right now, I have the user jumping out of the application to do this and would like to make it a little more simple.

Thanks,
    Ryland

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Default Re: OLE Call to Zebra Designer Pro or Bartender App

Hi Ryland,

Using an OLE call is generally doable, but is certainly doing it the hard way (IMHO). I generate barcodes, checksums and the like and then just display the barcode using it's font on a report or other layout of Alpha and send to the Zebra printer.

Code 128 is my barcode of choice as it has built in error checking, and has a high density for numbers, and fairly high density for ASCII.
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Real Name
    Ryland Wiltshire

Thanks IRA,

For some reason, the Zebra 128 fonts were not showing up in my font selection within Alpha. Let me give them a call and see if I can download that specific font like the IDAutomation.

Ryland

Real Name
    Ryland Wiltshire

Ira,

I saw a code 128 in the fonts, but it does not translate to the report like the IDAutomation. It just prints the actual product codes like:

00-754-0650

whereas the IDAAutomation Font code 39 actually prints the bar code on the report. But if I try to send that to the printer, it prints nothing since I assume that it is preset for code128 .....

I'm just stumpted.......Ryland

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Hi Ryland,

When you use a barcode font, you must translate the ascii text for the barcode to the required characters of the font. In some barcode fonts, it's as simple as just adding an "*" at the beginning and end of the ascii string, and then just using the barcode font instead. In other cases, it requires computing an ascii string that has a start and end codes, checksum code and possibly other control characters and converting the ascii text to the correct characters of the barcode font. This ranges anywhere from trivial to very hard, depending upon the barcode font.

Barcode ASCII 128 code has 3 parts to it and gets a little complicated in it's conversion. I developed routines a long time ago to do this conversion. A simple usage of 1 of the 3 parts is "relatively" simple, but my version computes the shortest barcode for an ASCII string in Code 128, to allow for smaller barcodes, and this gets pretty complicated

So, if you are just changing the ascii text to the Barcode 128 font, that's not going to work.
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Real Name
    Ryland Wiltshire

Just downloaded the demo from IDAutomation for the codes 128. Will let all know how it works by tomorrow. Thanks for the soundking board.. Ryland

Real Name
    Ryland Wiltshire

Thanks IRA,

I just tried to display this in a report format, and nothing appeared even before trying to send it to the Zebra tonight.

I would like to discuss (I assume outside of the forum) in how I could apply your solution. Just let me know if that is OK as I'm very happy with the CSDA code utility.

My email is ryland@rylandwiltshire.com