Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

H/t set up my Alpha dbf file on a remote server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H/t set up my Alpha dbf file on a remote server

We recently began using a remote server for our web application.

But we need to publish our A5 data to the remote server from our local hard drives. That means the data that is served out over the internet is only as current as our last update.

The VPS guy suggested that we have our live db reside on the server, and set up our local computers to access/revise/update that live db. That way the server will always have real-time data to work with.

Trouble is, he didn't say how to do that (he made some vague reference to a 'learning curve'), and I'm just not finding info on how to proceed.

Is there Alpha documentation or tutorials that explain this? If so, I haven't found it yet.

I hope I've just missed it. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Re: H/t set up my Alpha dbf file on a remote server

Hi Marshall -

There's no fixed answer. I presume you have your catalog on the remote server. Anything else?

One solution is to use Remote Desktop (search for it here - I know it's been discussed) but I don't know if that'll be a solution for your in-store needs or not.

Another possible solution is an automated procedure that periodically (hourly?) uploads your in-store catalog to the server to keep it mostly current.

Edit:
    I just realized that other readers here may not know that Marshall has a bookstore in Harper's Ferry, WV. That'll give some context.
    Last edited by Steve Workings; 01-29-2009, 06:51 PM. Reason: Realized something...
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Depending on you web app and server, just change your forms to web pages for data entering. Let your users log on through the internet and update information that way.

Another way is to use Remote desktop to connect to you application on the server. Or set the server up with a Log Me In account and let the users log on that way.

There are a number of ways of doing this. It just depends on which way works best for you and what your budget allows.

If you have the A5 web server and already have a web app, the cheaper way would to be just create web pages for your users.
      Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

A few things.

1. do you have a fast VPS. If so do you have your desktop applications running on the VPS, if So you can just use Alpha using remote desktop using the desktop apps easily, I do it all the time.

I have both Alpha WAS running as a service and Alpha development running as an application, the WAS uses always up.

2. If you don't have a fast link, then look at what desktop apps you are running and see how you can recreate for the Web, I've also done this several times and it's easier than you think.

3. Uploading and downloading data is a habbit you should not get into, if you really want to virtualize the data, then do it from a central point, and that's the VPS.

Send me some info if you want help, always pressed for time, but happy to assist.

Peter
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein, (attributed)
        US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thanks to those of you who have responded. Here are the answers to the questions you raise.

I operate a used bookstore, and our catalog of abt 45,000 books is an Alpha .dbf file. What we want is to allow web surfers to search our catalog.

Viewers go to http://65.75.250.33/ to start their search. Within a month or so, I'm planning to add the Alpha Sports web app to provide a shopping cart application. That's not available yet.

That part works like we envisioned it.

My concerns are two related items:

I'd really like to have the data be in real time. If we mark a book "sold" I don't want it showing up any more in the searches.

I want the browses, forms, reports, etc that we're used to to remain pretty much as they now are.

Our VPS seems very fast, and it includes regular daily backups of all the data. So I'm leaning toward having the data reside on the server hard drives.

That, to me, seems preferable to keeping the data local and creating a script that would upload regularly, as Steve suggested.

It looks like Remote Desktop is the common theme in the three responses I've had so far. I don't know what that is, so I'll follow Steve's advice and search for it on this board.

Peter: sounds like you're doing pretty much what I want to do. My WAS is running on the remote server, and I'm currently publishing data from my desktop to the remote server. As I said above, I'd prefer to have a secure login that I can use from my store that would allow us to view, change and add data in all the ways we currently do. The difference would be that the data is not on our local hard drive, but on the drives at the VPS server.

Thanks for the suggestions. I can be reached at [email protected] if it's kosher to contact me off-list.

Marshall

Comment

Remote desktop will be your answer, that is everything on the VPS, Remote desk top will let you use the VPS just as easily as if it were sitting on the desk in front of you.

Peter
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Working...
            X