Alpha Video Training

Thread: ,dbf and Open Office

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default ,dbf and Open Office

FWIW, here's some info about what happens to Alpha's dbf files when Open Office is installed.

I installed Open Office 3.0 and it changed the Alpha Five .dbf file extension name to the extension name: Open Document Spreadsheet. I uninstalled Open Office and the extension name reverted back to .dbf.

kenn

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: ,dbf and Open Office

Ken,

Did you mean to say

I uninstalled Open Office and the extension file type reverted back to Alpha5 Table,

Or something like that description?

I don't believe the description attached to the file type is important and it can be edited, at least in XP. I don't believe Alpha uses the description for anything.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default Re: .dbf and Open Office

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mathews View Post
    Ken,

Did you mean to say

I uninstalled Open Office and the extension file type reverted back to Alpha5 Table,

Or something like that description?

I don't believe the description attached to the file type is important and it can be edited, at least in XP. I don't believe Alpha uses the description for anything.
    Yes, You are correct. I needed to combine the data in 2 tables, each table in a different database. When I looked at the files in the folder, there were no files with the file extension .dbf. I figuered the "Open Document Spreasheet" were the .dbf files so I searched for .dbf and sure enough, that's what was found. Obviously, Alpha didn't care what the .dbf name converted to but a full name like that instead of .ods is, well I guess it takes some getting used to seeing a name change.

Sometimes change is good, sometimes it's not and sometimes it doesn't make a hill of beans. The only diffference it makes is the space all the letters take. The file extension name is longer than the file name. Now, that's a switch.

kenn

Real Name
    Sean Kennedy

I think it is just an alias in Vista. The filename.ext does not change. But Vista thinks it belongs to OpenOffice. You can tell Vista to stop messing things up by going into the settings and set things up the way you want. I set my file views to be just the way I have always viewed them since the days of Win95/98. I tell the OS to show me extension and I manually assign the default program for each extension I use. Somebody at MS thought it was good idea to hide the extension and decide for you what program becomes the default.

Sean

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default Re: .dbf and Open Office

Hello Sean,

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful. If anyone else wants to do make the change, follow the yellow brick road as outlined below.

kenn

How t0 change the program that opens a type of file

If you double-click a file in Windows and it opens in the wrong software program, follow these steps to choose the program you would prefer that file use. You can change this setting for an individual file, or you can tell Windows to open all files of that same type in the software program you choose.

Open the folder that contains the file you want to change.

Right-click the file that you want to change, and then, depending on the type of file, either click Open With or point to Open With and then click Choose Default Program.

Click the program that you want to use to open this file.

Do one of the following:

If you want all files of that type to open in the same software program, select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

If you want only that file to open in the software program this one time, clear the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Another way is when a folder is open, go to Main Menu-->Tools-->Folder Options-->File Types tab and pick your poision...handy for some types that sometimes do not have an "Open With" option from a right click.
    Mike