Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Could Not Load Range Settings Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could Not Load Range Settings Warning

Good Afternoon,

A friend of mine has a small business that uses Alpha4 V2 for his billing. It's running under Windows 98 SE. I have never encountered this software before. But I am a programmer and hopefully I can be a quick learner if someone can point me in the right direction.

This message board has tons of information which at least helped me understand the following:

A custom application has been written for him. He used to be able to print an invoice by customer using an option on his menu. It's a small database, so he just entered each customer's account number, then pressed F10 to print the invoice. His secretary thought that was too slow and tried to set up a method to print them all at once. This didn't work and now he has lost the ability to print the single customer like he used to.

When he tries, a message comes up saying "Retrieving Form", then a warning message comes up indicating "Warning, could not load range settings". Then there is a Continue option, but it just returns to the menu.

I looked at the Range the print is trying to use and it looks like:

Primary Index: Customer Account Numbers (this uses an index named ACCT#)
    Order: Ascending
    Show: All
    First Record <First>
    Last Record <Last>
    Unique Keys: No
    Filter:
    Filter Status: Inactive

I also found a script named ACCOUNT# that the program seems to use, but I don't know how to look at it.

At this point, I don't know enough about what I am looking at to know what to try.

I've backed up the Alpha4V2 folder into another folder, so I feel safe in trying pretty much anything. Of course, but we have no backups from before her changes (can I ever stress this enough to folks?), so I would at least try to get it back the way it was. If we could figure out a way to print them all, that would be great too, but for now, baby steps.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Denny

Re: Could Not Load Range Settings Warning

Hi Denny,

If you press the Alt+F3 keys then select modify you should see the script in question. If this does not display the script you may have to change your script path to direct Alpha where it needs to look.

To find the script manually, you could search in Windows for the script name with the extention SCP (account.scp) this should tell you where the script is stored, you can then go back into Alpha and change the script path to the location of the script.

The non printing bit, it appears that you are trying to print a form rather than a report, is this correct? Have you tried printing the form/report to screen.

If still unresolved, could you attach a copy of the application (with sample data) for us to look at?

Regards,

Keith
    (Cornwall UK)

Comment

Keith,

Thanks much for your prompt reply. You were correct in that I set the script path to the location of the scripts and played the script. Looking at the script in a Hex Editor, it looks like the script does indeed contain a form of some sort. However, no error popped up by just playing the script, but nothing printed either. I've attached the script and a copy of the app. I'll have to try to pull together a mini database to test with that I could send out perhaps this evening. Perhaps you can tell something from the app and script, but I realize you really need data to test properly.

Again, thanks so much for helping.

Denny

Comment

Hi Denny,

It appears that you are selecting option 5 of your menu, Print Customer Record By Account #, when selected, this should play the script Account#.scp where you enter the account number of the customer, this number is stored as a variable ( %W ) Alpha should then use this variable to find the record containing this account number and print the FORM with it's information.

If this is correct, when you select option 5 of your menu, does a dialog box pop up asking you to enter the Customer Account Number?

The files you sent were incomplete, we would need ALL the files in the Alpha4v2\Customer folder and the Alpha4v2\Scripts folder.

Regards

Keith
        ( Cornwall UK )

Comment

Keith,

You are right on point with your analysis of how the application works (way better than me). You really know your stuff! Option 5 comes up, my friend enters the account number, which by your research goes into a %w variable, and it is used to print the invoice. But please keep in mind that I had never even seen any software like this until last Saturday (2/14), so I am trying to play serious catch up here.

However, I also respect privacy requirements here in the U.S. so I can not post the customer's .dbf files (i.e. the entire contents of the customer folder) out on the 'Net'. It contains customers addresses, phone numbers, etc, although I did not see any Credit Card information, thank goodness.

Almost all of my friends and customers are used to clicking on an ICON and everything "magically" works for them. When it doesn't, they call me and expect me to know and understand every piece of software on the planet.

Obviously I don't, but I tell them that I will at least try to help and I am not afraid to ask questions to anyone that is willing to help.

But please, PLEASE don't abandon me on this. I'll try to peel off a generic data base that will still replicate the issue and get back to you.

Plus, my friend also wanted to know if the software will run on Windows XP and I have configured it to work on my XP laptop during testing. So we're kind of killing 2 birds with 1 stone here.

I do truly appreciate your willingness to help, as the person that wrote the application for my friend is long gone.

Again, THANK YOU ever so much!!!

Denny
          Seville, OH
          USA

Comment

Hi Denny,

Alpha4v2 will NOT work correctly on XP. All may seem to be OK but you WILL get corruption deeper into the database, usually when a new record has been added or sometimes an old one changed. To keep everything as it is you would need to upgrade to Alpha4v8 or if you fancied a complete rewrite (keeping the data) you could upgrade to Alpha5 which would be more future proof.

Happy to help where I can.

Keith
            (Cornwall UK)

Comment

Keith,

It appears that you are correct on the XP situation as well. Voice of experience, I suppose? ;~) When I started working on a temp DB, I received an EMM error (even though I thought I had compatibility mode set up OK). Then I got a LAN error and the software won't work on the laptop at the moment. LAN error??? HA! Anyhow, I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it, based on your post.

So I will go back to the Win98SE machine this evening and attempt to pull a package together that can help us (well, you more than me) diagnose the problem. Plus I told my friend that most, if not all new PCs come with Vista and I can pretty much guess that this version won't even start on Vista.

I looked on Alpha's Web site and it looks like the Alpha4v8 version is not all that much money if he wants to continue using this software on an XP machine that he already has. I don't know if I could rewrite his app under Alpha5 or not. I just don't know all that much about how the applications work. But he'll be coming out this Saturday to visit and we can discuss options at that point in time.

Again, THANKS and I'll be in touch later this evening. Have a GREAT day!

Denny

Comment

Working...
              X