Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Existing a4v3 report: "Compressed print" no longer works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Existing a4v3 report: "Compressed print" no longer works?

Hello!

I am a newbie to this forum (in fact, any forum!) so please excuse any rookie mistakes I may make. Thanks, in advance, for your time, in any help you may provide. My background is many years as a programmer (mostly IBM AS/400 (Series i)) so hopefully I will be able to quickly grasp any 'greasy' details that may be provided, regarding the Alpha 4 product.

I have been running the Alpha 4 Version 3 for many years, on an older PC: Windows 98 on a Dell Dimension XPS 400 Pentium II (yes, I agree that I seriously need an upgrade!). I am running custom written A4 reports (Expenses, Orders, etc.) that have been (until yesterday) all working and printing fine. I have been using the 'compressed print' option with all the reports, as the reports are greater than 80 columns.

Yesterday, after 'Quitting' a4 and then returning about 1/2 hour later (without turning off the PC), my 'Expenses' report will no longer print with 'Compressed print' working (only prints 80 columns. When printing to 'screen' though, all info is there). My 'Orders' report STILL prints 'compressed' so I don't think the problem lies with the printer.

I have tried going into the 'Expenses' report and (under the 'Range and Print Settings') turning the 'compressed print' option off and on but still will not 'compress.' I tried 'borrowing a report' to see if the 'old' report got corrupted. 'New' report will not print 'compressed.'

I tried selecting other printers ('default,' 'current,' etc.) but those all print without 'compressed print.'

Under the Main Menu: Other: Configuration: Printer Configuration: Create/Edit Printer Configuration, I looked at the details for my printer: HP LASERJET III/IV. I'm pretty sure all the information there is 'default' (I don't think I changed anything) and I have not messed with the 'Printer Density' fields: Compressed on / Compressed off codes.

I tried creating new versions of the printer (copying) but still prints without 'compressed print.'

I had my printer linked through a scanner, then through an Iomega Zip Plus drive. I removed the scanner and the zip drive and connected the printer directly to the CPU tower. Same problem: will not print 'compressed.'

I am ready to give the PC the 'distance test' (that's when you carry the PC to the roof top and throw it off. You walk back down and try the PC again. If it works, it passed the 'distance test').

Any suggestions? If necessary, I can provide more details or A4 codes.

Thanks, in advance. Have a great day!

Dan.
    (posted 2009/02/23 10:40am ish MST)

Re: Existing a4v3 report: "Compressed print" no longer works?

Update (I didn't know how to update the original document so I am 'replying' to myself):

2009/02/26 at 9:45am MST

For some bizarre reason (I have not changed this application over the last umpteen years so who knows why it all of a sudden manifested itself into a problem?), the problem lay with the 'filter' on the 'Range' used on the report (which was built over a 'set,' not a single DBF).

The 'filter' is allowed to be 254 characters and can include any sort of 'selection criteria:' "Only include records for a specific Company," "only include records in a selected 'date range,'" etc.

The filter I had built (and been using for years), had 6 'selections' included in its string. The filter string itself was well below the 254 character limit (and I tested the 254 limit and a string of 254 does work). The problem ended up being a limitation of HOW MANY 'selection criteria' can be described. The limit ended up being ONLY 4 'selection criteria' are allowed (let's just say we had about 100 different tests of the report to come up with that 'bug' - in all the documentation, there is no mention of limits of numbers of 'selection criteria').

Problem: I still need 6 'selections criteria' to correctly select the data I want (data is 'multi-company, multi-currency').

Work around: I built a 'filter expression' into the actual database INDEX used to get into the data. I removed 2 of the 'selection criteria' from the Range filter (and now have only the 'maximum' allowed number: 4 'selection criteria' tests there) and placed the 2 'selection criteria' tests right onto the INDEX.

The only downside to this work around is now this INDEX is specific to a certain set of data. If I want to get different data, I just have to update the 'selection criteria' on the INDEX 'filter expression' and 'update the INDEX.' I could also create another INDEX, if I wanted a 'generic' (no 'selection criteria' given) INDEX.

Thanks!

Dan.

Comment

Hello Dan,

It sounds like you devised a workaround to your printing problem, but I do have some comments. I can only speak from my experience with A4v2, but here it goes:

I found the 'filter' function a little irritating for some uses, especially when moving around in a browse screen. The filter has to work on-the-fly, causing A4 to inspect each record (even more if the rule looks at fields in linked databases), potentially making things quite slow. Also, one can get really lost in how the filter's function was originally defined. I can't recall exactly, but I seem to recall some really strange screen update quirks with some of the filtering stunts I've tried.

You can do some really cool things with clever indexing rules, but with similar costs in efficiency and programming clarity. You also get in to the quirkiness of what 'find' will expect as input when you utilize complicated index rules.

I like to keep my own thinking clear (as well as to have the ability to document what's going on), by building the index biased towards making it easy to 'find' a particular record, but then to apply a saved 'search' against the index-ordered database to select the desired records for further processing. I may even simplify the selection formula into separate saved searches so they can be run one after another. This can be useful for very large databases--run the search that's likely to be more exclusive first. The subsequent searches will then have much fewer records to deal with.

The plus in using 'search' is that the resulting search list will persist, allowing you to perform other activities on that selection of records, such as running reports--just don't edit any records that are contained within the search without re-doing the search from scratch. The minus is that using searches and search lists adds quite a few steps and complicates any A4 application you may have built.

-moy

Comment

Moy, hello!

Thanks for your input - I truly appreciate your insights and you taking the time to reply. I will look into applying your method to my 'problem.'

As my databases record counts are not too high, any solution used (yours or mine) will not cause my application to slow down too much so it is good to have more than one option.

Thanks, again and have a great day!

Dan.

Comment

Working...
        X