New call-to-action

Thread: reporting tool for database structure

Real Name
    marcus wolfe

Default reporting tool for database structure

I have posted on the forum a few times about problems I encounter while building a database.

I find it difficult to clearly describe the database's structure to readers. It would be nice to have a report feature that allows users to print the structure of a table, report, etc. so it can be included in a forum posting along with the question/comment for easier clarification.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: reporting tool for database structure

Copied from the edit structure dialog, pasted here.
    Code:
    Client_Id	Character	5	0
    Clientname	Character	30	0
    Clientaddress	Character	40	0
    Clientadd1	Character	40	0
    Clientcity	Character	25	0
    Clientstate	Character	2	0
    Clientzip	Character	10	0
    Clientprovince	Character	20	0
    Clientcountry	Character	20	0
    Clientphone	Character	12	0
    Clientphone1	Character	12	0
    Clientfax	Character	12	0
    Propertyid	Character	8	0
    Donotdisplay	Logical	1	0
    Clientareacode	Character	5	0
    Sometimes you don't see a right click menu but ctrl-C will still work.
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 03-06-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Douglas Wiegand

Some useful features would be the ability to 1) print out a report of a tables structure and it's indexes and 2) print out a report of a set definition structure, including any defined links, sorts, filters, et al. Regarding the set editor screen it would also be nice to have the abililty to shrink or resize the link graphic so as to be able see more of the tree structure on the screen and so be able maneuver about the set links without cumbersome scrolling that is need when a particular set's tree exceeds the size of the dispaly window.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

In the meantime, my AIMS Grab Bag (just a "grab bag" of various short developer addons I originally created for my own use) has an "App Basics" routine that does much of what you ask for albeit in a text only format.

The attached files are (1) a screenshot of the selection dialog and (2) a sample of all output from an app that has tables in multiple folders (this is the ONLY app I have like that and it is only for my own use) and an added filter in the last set to see if it would show up - it does. However, I also discovered that it currently does not show the sort order in sets. I basically never use the sort order or filter in sets but I'll have to fix that anyway.

None of the many routines in the Grab Bag addon are intended to be fancy or complex - just time saving.

Real Name
    marcus wolfe

Thanks.
    Now that I think more about it....An database report tool that produces a set of linkable web pages that describe the database, or a part of it would be ideal.
    This report could be structured so you click on tables, sets, etc in a list to bring up a more detailed list on that specific item. maybe include the ability to add a question or comment with the description. (i.e. this is the field that won't print....) The web files would be very small and could uploaded along with questions or comments. This would also be for planning and reference.
    PS thanks CALocklin for the AIMS grab bag link. This may also answer my other question on how to globally search/replace a rich text memo field.

Real Name
    marcus wolfe

PS

I'll try the AIMS App Analyzer. Might be just the thing.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Quote Originally Posted by marcuswolfe View Post
    ... This may also answer my other question on how to globally search/replace a rich text memo field.
    Sorry, I don't have anything that will help with that. I gave up on rich text memos a long time ago. I never use them anymore.

Real Name
    marcus wolfe

Is there a better strategy for storing pargagraphs text that require bullets, various fonts, etc I should be using?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Not that I know of. I've just had so many problems with rich text memos in the past that I refuse to use them regardless of my clients' desires. If they really want them, they have to find another developer and may, as a result, go to a different program - I don't care; I won't work with rich text memos.

Disclaimer: Maybe they actually work well now. I haven't used them in years and until someone convinces me they are absolutely rock solid, I won't use them.

Real Name
    Douglas Wiegand

Cal, thanks for pointing me in the direction of your utilities. They would appear to have applicability for use in addressing some of the 'wish list' items I identified. As my current project gets further along in completion I will undoubtedly take advantage of them. Thanks again.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

You might also consider my A5Doc utility that Alpha sells in their store. It is available for trial from my website.

It creates a searchable database of the details of every (or select) object on the A5 control panel. Also prints client suitable documentation.

Bill.