Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Cascading lists limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cascading lists limit

I just realized there is a limit to the cascading lists. Is there any way around this? I still have info I need to add, is there any other way I can do this?
    (Alpha 5 Ver. 8)

Betsy

Re: Cascading lists limit

By cascading list, are you referring to a field rule lookup?

If so, you can do it w. xbasic. I can give you a sample code snippet (it's pretty simple really).
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Yes, I am referring to field rule lookup?

Comment

Originally posted by Betsy View Post
        Yes, I am referring to field rule lookup?
        Yes, followed by a "?"?

I guess that means yes? ;)

Anyway, if that's what you want, and you have hit a limit, get rid of that field rule.

FIRST, from the controlpanel/code tab, create a new XBasic script, call it "test". Paste the following code into it and Save. Press the lightening bolt to run the code to see how it works.
        Code:
        vMenuItems = <<%a%
        Clone|Dick
        Clone|George
        Clone|Rice
        Critter|Rodent|Bat
        Critter|Rodent|Cat
        Critter|Rodent|Rat
        Critter|Rodent|Mouse
        Critter|Mammal|Dog
        Critter|Mammal|Fish
        Critter|Mammal|Pterodactyl
        Critter|Mammal|Stegasuarus
        Stooge|Moe
        Stooge|Larry
        Stooge|Curly
        a
        b
        c
        -
        Cancel
        %a%

vMenuChoice = ui_popup_menu(vMenuItems)

IF vMenuChoice = "Cancel" .or. vMenuChoice = ""
            End
        ELSE
            ObjectName.value = vMenuChoice
        END IF
        Then: Put a button on your form next to the field you want to fill and paste the above code in the button's OnPush event:

In your button's code, change "ObjectName"to the name of the field object (which Alpha usually names the same as the field name). You can see the field object name by putting the form in edit mode and hovering the mouse over the field. Change the selections to your entries as needed. The pipe "|" separates the items (as you can see) and create the "menu" heirarchy. As far as I know, there is no practical limit to how many items or cascades you wish to use.
        Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 03-12-2009, 11:51 AM.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

I usually use a button (to the right of the field) that looks something like this - see image.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Sweet. I imagine you could populate vMenuItems with entries from a table so you wouldn' have to edit the code to make changes.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
              Sweet. I imagine you could populate vMenuItems with entries from a table so you wouldn' have to edit the code to make changes.
              Yes. Been there, done that. :)
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter and Stan,

Seems to me that this is an example of a case in which you (all of us) could very easily be more helpful to new users by throwing in another code snippet outlining one way one might follow up on Stan's suggestion. Otherwise I am afraid many new users would just be at a loss as to what Stan was referring to, plus these little code snippets are a great way for new users to learn. To that end, below is one way to do what Stan was referring to:

Raymond Lyons

Code:
                'Create a 1 record, 1 field table with a memo field, here named Menu
                'Enter (or paste in) Peter's sample items in the memo field (here named Menuitems)
                'If for some reason it is more than 1 record you can add (as below) tbl.fetch_first()
                'Also, you could dim and set vMenuItems as a global variable in the autoexec using part of the code below.
                'This would avoid having to open and close a table every time the menu is used.

dim tbl as p
                tbl=table.open("menu")
                tbl.fetch_first()
                dim vMenuItems as c
                vMenuItems= tbl.Menuitems

vMenuChoice = ui_popup_menu(vMenuItems)

IF vMenuChoice = "Cancel" .or. vMenuChoice = ""
                    tbl.close()
                    End
                ELSE
                    ObjectName.value = vMenuChoice
                    msgbox(vMenuChoice)    'this line is just for testing-- rem it out
                    tbl.close()
                END IF

Comment

Peter/Raymond,
                  Most excellent! I have tried to adapt your code so that I can use it as a menu. I have studied the Help file on same and so far have failed miserably. I have way too many buttons on my current menu's, with menu's calling sub menu's etc. What I would like to do is place all my current button scripts into the cascade, then make a selection from the cascade which (a) closes the current form, and (b) opens the relevant form, report or browse. Can I adapt your code to do this or am I barking up the wrong tree?
                  Many thanks
                  Larry Gordon

Comment

Whoops - should have said I'm on V9.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Gordon View Post
                      Can I adapt your code to do this or am I barking up the wrong tree?
                      You are barking up the RIGHT tree. That is very doable.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                        By cascading list, are you referring to a field rule lookup?

If so, you can do it w. xbasic. I can give you a sample code snippet (it's pretty simple really).
                        is there any limit to TREE CONTROL contain size?
                        i do not seem to show a big tree?

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
                          Seems to me that this is an example of a case in which you (all of us) could very easily be more helpful to new users by throwing in another code snippet outlining one way one might follow up on Stan's suggestion. Otherwise I am afraid many new users would just be at a loss as to what Stan was referring to, plus these little code snippets are a great way for new users to learn.
                          Ray,
                          I agree so I took it a bit further. The attached example illustrates making a global variable from the values of a List table used for a popup menu.
                          Mike W

Comment

I have not been on this message board for about 10-years. I recently upgraded to V11, and I find that while some things are better, some are still the way they were. I think it is kind of funny that Alpha has not been able to make some of these solutions, a permanent part of the program. After all not everyone is a great programmer, nor does everyone have the time to look through the maze of documentation, and by the way, the new documentation is horrible. That is my opinion.

As for the professional on this message board; you are the greatest. If it were not for you, many newcomers would just give-up at the very beginning. You do way more than it could ever be expected, and for that, I thank you very much. I have never come across a community of people such as you.

Once again: Thanks, thanks, thanks, and thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X