Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Out of Memory Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of Memory Error

I have 2 forms Invoice_View and Invoice_Edit. The Change and Close buttons worked fine up until yesterday. Today after I made some cosmetic changes on these forms I kept getting an Out o Memory Error when I try to close the Invoice_edit form.
    See File attached. Start with Invoice_View, click on Change button, once on the Edit form click on Close button.

This is getting ridiculous and frustrating. I have been trying for the last 3 months to create an invoicing system, and have made little progress. A good chunk of my time has been spent dealing with bugs and product instability.

Re: Ou of Memory Error

Well, Gaby....Out of time tonight (1 am here) but found that the issue lies within the form being opened as Dialog. works just fine if opened as Normal. The pointer was incorrect but correcting that made no difference either. Compacting the database made no difference. I suggest using the "Define Indexes" for all the form's involved tables individually--which pretty much is most of your tables in the very large set....lots of referential integrity but doubt it is causing this issue though it can cause a bunch of issues elsewhere at times--but if working for you great!

Let us know once you have rebuilt all the indices.
    Mike

Comment

Gaby, I see the same error here. Cannot explain what's causing it but notice several things that seem very odd to me:

a) the "edit" form seems to be a clone of the "view" form. Not sure why you're doing it this way, but each time you open a form you open new instances of all the tables supporting that form and increase traffic on the network. Many designers would take a simpler more efficient path. They'd use the same form for both viewing and editing, controlling data entry as required for the app.

b) Your set design incorporates multiple instances of the same tables. While this might occasionally be necessary in a report, I believe it's NEVER necessary for a data entry form. It's something I would never do.

c) Your set design uses "prevent" changes for child tables linked more than once. Your set design uses "cascade changes" for other instances of the same tables. You link the parent table to itself with a "prevent changes" link that's defined as one-to-many. Frankly, this makes no sense to me. Why do you expect there to be multiple invoices with the same FILENBR field value? Color me confused. Some features of the set design seem circular to me. I'm not surprised Alpha has trouble with it when you open a second form based on the same set.

c) I hear the frustration in your post. I refer you to the following article which has proven to be valuable in my own work and recommend that you simplify your set design. Here's the article:
      http://www.learn alpha.com/SimplifyY...ifyYourApp.htm

Comment

Just a quick reply, going to work. This used to work fine in the previous copy of the DB. The only difference is the cosmetics. I just improved on the appearance of these 2 forms. Before posting here, I compared the codes in the buttons on these 2 forms with the codes on my plain forms, they are the same .

Comment

Hello Mike: I rebuilt indexes, it did not change the situation
          Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
          a) the "edit" form seems to be a clone of the "view" form. Not sure why you're doing it this way
          Yes,the edit form is a clone of the view form. I need these 2 forms (with very different appearances) because of the way things happen here: the user (agent) is in the middle of composing an invoice (thus on the plain color edit form), she gets interupped by a phone call then switches to an airline website then to another one and gets another call, and so on; by the time she gets back to invoicing, 1/2 hr has passed and can't remember what she was doing. The plain color edit form tells here instantly that she was in the middle of composing and invocing. If I use the same form, it will be very confusing for the agent.
          Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
          Why do you expect there to be multiple invoices with the same FILENBR field value? Color me confused.
          Yes, In many cases there are multiple invoices with the same FileNbr. Expl: there is booking for a wedding group of 15 passengers, 5 of them want a separate invoice, the parents pay for the children, the agent might forego her commission on some passemgers and make it up on th others, and yet all this is a single booking, 1 bulk price for the ariline company. The only way to keep track of this is to group all these invoices by a common denominator, the File nbr. If later the agent wants to review the entire booking, all she has to do is recall the FileNbr and the 6 or 7 invoices that make up the group are displayed.

Note: this has been working as described under FM without any issues at all for 2 years now.

Comment

Gaby, ok. It seems you have made up your mind and have reasons that make sense to you for your design choices. In my own work here my head often stop hurting if I stop hitting it with a hammer. You seem intent on continuing. I hope it works out well for you in the end. -- tom

Comment

Working...
            X