Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A4 with Linux (Samba) file server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A4 with Linux (Samba) file server

Has anyone used a4 with with a Linux server? We set up a Linux server with Samba to allow windows file sharing and a4 performance is EXTREMELY slow when opening and/or switching databases. Once the file is open, performance is ok but it's unbelievably annoying to wait for the database to open when you switch around (which we do a lot).

If the data is on a Netware server or windows for workgroups XP machine the perormance is MUCH faster than if it's on the Linux server but on benchmarks and when we try other apps the Linux server blows everything else away. I am sure we are missing something so any input would be highly appreciated as there is nothing on the forum about this.

We also noticed slow performance in a5 if the data is on the Linux server.

Re: A4 with Linux (Samba) file server

Even though this article is now "ancient", maybe it will give you some help.

http://www.learn alpha.com/LinuxServer/LinuxServer.html

Comment

I have been using Alpha4v7 and Linux servers for the past three years. I have not experience any significant performance problems since switching. One of my customers, at any given time, may have as much as thirty two users connected simultaneously to a system with dbf files containing as much as 1.5 million records.

Most of the problems I experience were the same ones I experience with windows. The main being locked tables. This occurs mainly when a users minimizes an Alpha4 applications then leaves his/her machine unattended for a not so long period of time then the screen saver kicks in or the machine goes to sleep. It also occurs when large complex reports are executed during �active� working hours. Then sometimes it occurs for no reason at all. I have also noticed that granular crashes occur as soon as the dbf file headers start reporting file length inconsistencies (using Norton File Fix) or when they are problems with indexes. I have to deal with this almost on a daily basis due to regular power failures. In most cases the only machine connected to a reliable UPS may be the server. The work stations are mostly connected to surge suppressors. Most of the glitches I am currently experiencing have to do with CUPS. I use typeset printing and have to use redirected LPT ports.

I have never had any problems with switching databases; however I have had delays opening them. My cure to this problem was disabling the diskette drive in the bios. You do not have to physically remove the diskette drive if you don�t want to as long as it does not show up in the device manager.
      The best performance I ever got from Alpha4 was when I used pure MS-DOS and Netware servers. I just retired my last Netware (5.1) server two months ago. The SATA drivers I tried to use kept dismounting the SYS volume. I should also mention that Netware allowed me to perform repairs on dbf files using Norton File Fix directly on the server. Now I have to copy the files to a machine capable of running MS-DOS. For this I use a virtual machine running Windows 98 right on the Linux server.

Most of the machines I run as SAMBA servers are of the Proliant ML and DL series. One of my servers is a Dell Vostro but has not really been tested under heavy loads. The servers I manage are all running Fedora 9 with the exemption of the Vostro which is running Fedora 10. Fedora�s implementation of SAMBA, to my knowledge, most closely resembles the windows server environment. I should also mention that to my knowledge there was much more support for it on the web than for most other distributions.

Where I live we should be embracing Linux. Sadly that is not the case. Linux is a hard sell in this country. The Microsoft marketing machine did its job well.

If you need any info, please feel free to get in touch.

Charles

Comment

We have used a Linux fedora server for the past 2 years and have seen an increase in speed and reliability. We where have issues with file locks and in linux/samba you can adjusted them in more detail and even turn them off.

Comment

Working...
        X