Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Developing a FLASH interface 4 Alpha Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developing a FLASH interface 4 Alpha Five

I have searched around and have not found an example of this, but then its not the easiest thing to search for.
    -
    I'm looking at upgrading a current Alpha Five website thats main page contains a Grid & Detail view, (There may be a requirement to increasse this to a gridlinker soon).
    Anyhow with both the Grid and Detail, I'm thinking of having just one custom field each that contains javascript, and an embedded swf. However the full quota of the original Grid+Detail controls will still exist only 100% hidden,
    Thus almost the full rendering of the page will be via FLASH,
    -
    What I'm asking Forum members is 1.) Can anyone categorically state that this is impossible.
    note: I don't want to start on something like this and find out someone else here realises why this is not possible
    2) Does anyone have any idea whethter I should wait till Ver10 is released before doing this?

Re: Developing a FLASH interface 4 Alpha Five

Can't say its impossible because can't figure out what you are asking. If its - can I convert an Alpha Grid and Detail to Flash and have them behave like an Alpha Grid and Detail, then I bet nobody has tried that.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Can't say its impossible because can't figure out what you are asking.
      I do understand that Steve, I typed the initial Post several times trying to find the best words to explain it. (I have a picture in my head of what I would like to achieve but putting it into words baffles me)
      --
      Code:
       If its - can I convert an Alpha Grid and Detail to Flash and have them behave like an Alpha Grid and Detail, then I bet nobody has tried that.
      Yes that is pretty much it.
      The Data in both Grid and Detail I believe would be better portrayed Graphically than in rows and columns of figures.
      So what I wish to do is load a Flash (swf movie) from the results of the Grid,,
      When the user makes a movement alteration to the SWF Movie the Grid refilters|| searches new information is passed to the hidden controls, which in turn update the visualization.
      To me it all seems possible just a lot of code and jumping from one development to another.

Comment

Colin,

This is an interesting idea, but I have more questions than answers.

You say "portrayed better". Better in what way...speed, color, resolution?

Is your grid and/or detail mostly images? If so,then it might be the transitions that appear better?

In version 10, the Ajax grid will be dramaticly different than today's grid. Are you sure you want to invest your time in V9?

Pat
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Passing and posting data from a Flash or Flex interface would be best handled with XML formatted data. It's quite easy to pass XML data using HTTP. In Alpha I'd forget about using a grid though. You will most likely need to code this up in Xbasic. I have looked into doing this with Alpha and Flex but it's so easy to do in Ruby on Rails that in was a no brainer to use Rails. Please keep in mind that I've been working with both Alpha and Rails now for a while and I'm quite familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of both.

If Alpha natively supported input/output to XML over HTTP this would be quite simple to do in Alpha.
          Bob Moore

Comment

Pat,
            Ah Portrayed by this I mean
            Charts and Graphs, such as a Gantt chart in one of the main cases.
            The applicacation is a logistics program that makes use of a object orientated scalable logistics engine written in (you guessed it) XBASIC
            To make a Gantt chart with raw alpha five components is doable I'm sure but I think it will be more difficult and the result not that impressive.

In version 10, the Ajax grid will be dramaticly different than today's grid. Are you sure you want to invest your time in V9?
            Darn Yes I'm curious as to what the version 10 will bring in respect to this,
            Most of my new Grids are actually AJAX(ified) now but it is a time consuming process, thus I'm presuming the javascript bit of this will bridge into flash.

Comment

Bob,
              Yeah I'd love to be involved with Ruby also, Associates of mine are become devout followers in droves it seems.
              Yes Flash has been XML friendly for almost a decade now.
              If Alpha natively supported input/output to XML over HTTP this would be quite simple to do in Alpha.
              Yes currently XML is quite laborious to use as is.
              -
              The main reason I would like to use a grid is simply Laziness and to be honest the out of the box code with the grids etc, often out, perform my own code.
              -
              Flex is New to me. From my historic Flash knowledge, I know how to basically communicate - XBASIC -> Javascript -> ActionScript and the reverse using some AJAX.
              Is the Flex Methodology really much better Bob?

Comment

Colin,

It's a different mindset.

Flex was designed to allow traditional, procedural programmers to tap into Flash. It's also much more "team" friendly.

A lot of programmers have had trouble adjusting to Flash, with it's timeline and all. Without strict programming guidelines it's easy to make some real spaghetti code in Flash. In fact, I've worked on some projects where the code was placed all over the timeline and it took many hours to unravel.

Here's a brief overview of Flex off of Adobe's website :

"Flex applications are Flash applications.
                Flex is a programmer-centric way to create Flash-based rich internet applications.
                Flex applications are rendered using Flash Player 9.
                Like all Flash RIAs, Flex SWF files are processed by the client, rather than the server.
                The Flex framework contains the predefined class libraries and application services necessary to create Flex applications.
                The framework is available in a free SDK and the Eclipse-based IDE named Flex Builder.
                The framework includes a compiler that is available as a standalone tool or as part of Flex Builder.
                The class libraries and application services provide developers with standard components and tools for quick application development.
                Standard UI components can be extended and customized.
                Flex applications are written using MXML and/or ActionScript.
                MXML is an XML-based markup language that is primarily used to layout application display elements.
                ActionScript is an ECMAScript-compliant object-oriented programming language that is primarily used for application logic.
                MXML and ActionScript code are compiled into binary SWF files."

Is it much better ? Better than Ajax and DHTML? Well that all depends on what you are building. You can't beat the development speed of Ajax / DHTML. In Rails, Ajax support is built in and the Prototype and Scriptaculous libraries are fully supported. This makes cross browser support for Ajax/DHTML quite reliable and you can build some very nice web apps with this set of tools. That said, Flash/Flex offer a much more compelling set of tools for building what I would consider visual interfaces. If you need charts, graphs, etc. Flash/Flex is the way to go. And then there's Adobe Air, but that's a whole new discussion!!

You can also build a hybrid application that includes both technologies.
                Bob Moore

Comment

Without strict programming guidelines it's easy to make some real spaghetti code in Flash. In fact, I've worked on some projects where the code was placed all over the timeline and it took many hours to unravel.
                  Bob,
                  Last Millennium I had a contract with a minor games studio.
                  My Job was to hand repack SWF files to make them smaller and faster.
                  This was caused by the fact the Studio employed a lot of good Artists who were hopeless at creating useful files. Thus I have seen my share of super bloated swf files. I guess that's why swf is no longer an acronym for Small Web File.
                  Adobe Air
                  Yes Just be reading a bit on this. A number of times I have seen on these boards queries on how to run Alpha Five on mobile devices, I wonder if this might be the gateway.
                  --- Anyhow
                  Flex SWF files are processed by the client, rather than the server
                  Ok so still I should be able to go
                  XBASIC --> Javascript --> Flex --> Flash
                  -
                  And calling back
                  Flash->Flex-> Javascript -> [AJAX] -> XBasic

Am I correct in this assumption Bob?

Comment

Colin,

You may be able to skip Javascript if you can develop the Xbasic input and output routines to handle the XML for Flex. Other than that, I believe your assumptions are correct.

For mobile devices, take a look at Apples' new development environment for the iPhone which looks interesting. Most likely something can be accomplished with Xbasic and Alpha handling the server side.
                    Bob Moore

Comment

Thank you Bob,
                      Will keep you posted as per my progress. :-)
                      This looks like it will be interesting

Comment

Good luck Colin, keep us posted.

Here's a link for inspiration: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex/
                        Bob Moore

Comment

Working...
                        X