Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Slowing down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slowing down

Hi

Please could someone tell me what is the main thing that slows down alpha? For instance when i first start building the database, the scrolling works fast, but as i start adding buttons and putting in formulas, and paths to videos, the scrolling starts slowing down.

Would the more paths that i add for video make things slow down, or would it mainly be buttons or formulas, or what?

Thanks
    Cliff

Re: Slowing down

I find using the Image Reference Field slows browsing to a crawl.

Comment

I don't find any noticeable slowness with the image reference field but I guess the size of the underlying image/s would be the cause and is probably therefore more a windows/graphics issue than an Alpha problem.... but I could be wrong!
      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

It's so evident on my system and it doesn't seem to matter what size the image is... they're usually 400k. Opening a table in it's default browse is fine - with the cursor on the first field I can move up and down the browse with great response. But the moment I move across to the Image Ref. field browsing from record to record takes seconds.

Comment

Hi Cliff,

Originally posted by lionking15 View Post
          Please could someone tell me what is the main thing that slows down alpha? For instance when i first start building the database, the scrolling works fast, but as i start adding buttons and putting in formulas, and paths to videos, the scrolling starts slowing down.

Would the more paths that i add for video make things slow down, or would it mainly be buttons or formulas, or what?
          You don't give much to go on. Any summary fields or calculated fields using summary functions like total, count etc, LookupX functions take time, complexity of a set, slow networks with locking, poorly written event code (when event happens), too much style (like gradients) in an object....

Search "speed" on the message board for ideas.
          Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
          Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
          New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
          CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
          CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

What I have found recently that slowed my browse down --about 1.5 seconds to go from row to row-- was simply color calculations on 13 fields (YTD, January through December). It was a very simple calc such as to have white font when a field value=0. Luckily all I really needed was the last sequential field with data to be "whited" out, so was able to do this dynamically for just that one field....each field after the current month would have data I did not want seen.

My browse now works as fast as you can try to click on different rows.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by lionking15 View Post
              Hi

Thanks
              Cliff
              More info - please!

This sounds familiar IF you are saying "Whenever I start working, things are fast. Then as I continue working, things start to slow down. If I shut down A5 and restart it, the speed comes back initially then starts to gradually slow down again as I continue working."

Is this the case?

Comment

Thats exactly what it does. Have u managed to figure out why?

Comment

Unfortunately, no.

However, I know another developer who is seeing something similar on his customer's application during use (enter records in a browse and it keeps getting slower as each record is entered) and I'm seeing problems where the customer enters anywhere from 15-30 orders then starts getting strange error messages (not always the same error either) or the application just shuts down instantly and with no warning. In any of these cases, when the user restarts A5, it works flawlessly - for awhile.

(Note: I NEVER allow users to enter or change records in a browse so my issue is somewhat different than the other developer's issue. I've had too many problems with data entry in browses and won't allow it until I'm absolutely positive all those issues have been 100% resolved.)

Even stranger, I've proven to myself that just logging in to my customer's machine via LogMeIn will often fix problems - temporarily, of course. To me, this is a major indication that there is some type of memory issue/conflict.

Also, FWIW, when my customers enter "15-30 orders" there is often a lot of checking that goes on and that involves opening multiple other forms and even entering new "lookup" info (agent names) in some cases. In other words, it's not just a matter of simple data entry. Worse yet, I think (but can't prove) that the symptoms are different on different machines.

I've been trying to make the case that something somewhere is causing a "memory issue" (whatever that is exactly) but this is not something that is easy to duplicate.

To be fair, I have other apps that work flawlessly all the time. So, obviously it's in one or more of the functions in A5 that isn't used everywhere. The trick is to identify the function(s) and create something that Alpha can easily duplicate everytime they want to duplicate it.

Comment

Working...
                  X