Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Training files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training files

I am starting to go through the training files for A5.

I am going through Total Training\hour_01\04_active_link\index.html and notice in the help file whereas the training suggests the edition should be Platinum my edition is Run Engine. Is there a difference?

Following the video to create a passive link table, I should select drop down "New" and select New passive link Table.
    When I select "New" there is no drop down menu so I cannot make a selection.
    Can someone please assist me.
    Thanks
    John

Re: Training files

The Run Engine license is meant for end-user distribution. It's not for developers' use.

The Run Engine does everything that the full versions do, except many of the editors are removed/disabled.

Go here:

http://alphasoftware.com/shop/

and click on the links for "Guide to Alpha Five Versions" and "Guide to Runtime Versions."
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I am not clear.
      have I purchased the wrong bundle?
      I was not made aware of any restrictions.
      I bought the "All in one" bundle which I thought allowed me to develop as explained below and seems to be very comprehensive.
      ====================
      All-in-One

Alpha Five V9 Platinum
      Unlimited Distribution License
      (Web) Application Server
      AlphaStore E-commerce Application
      Alpha Five Total Training Video Course
      Total Web Apps Video Course
      Alpha Five Made Easy PDF
      Alpha Five Web Apps Made Easy PDF
      Alpha Five Functions and Expressions Made Easy

This bundle lets you build applications using the built in Alpha Five v9 database engine or any SQL, Excel, MS Access data source and deploy an unlimited number of desktop applications to as many users as you like with no restrictions

PLUS

With the Alpha Application Server you can deploy your web applications to the web with an unlimited number of users per server.

Comment

You need to install Alpha Five V9 Platinum, not just the runtime!

Comment

Thanks I thought I had installed all the files

I have installed a5v9_full_DL.exe is that correct.

In add remove programs I can see
          Alpha Five V9
          Alpha Five V9 Application Server

Should there be others?

Comment

Originally posted by JH10 View Post
            Thanks I thought I had installed all the files

I have installed a5v9_full_DL.exe is that correct.

In add remove programs I can see
            Alpha Five V9
            Alpha Five V9 Application Server

Should there be others?
            It sounds like you installed the Run Engine as well, and this may have affected your shortcut to the software on your desktop. If you right-click on the shortcut and select "Properties", what does it point to?

Comment

"D:\Program Files\a5v9\alpha5.exe"

Comment

"D:\Program Files\a5v9\alpha5.exe"
                Hm.... so where are you seeing your version as being "Runtime Engine"?

Comment

If I open Alpha 5 go to help, about Alpha 5
                  In the alpha 5 message box
                  Edition is Run Engine

Comment

If I open Alpha 5 go to help, about Alpha 5
                    In the alpha 5 message box
                    Edition is Run Engine
                    Is it possible that when you installed the run engine, you installed it in the same folder as Alpha5V9 instead of in its own folder? I think usually by default it would go in C:\Program Files\a5v9 RunEngine or similar.

Comment

Thanks
                      I can see alpha5.exe in D:\Program Files\a5v9 and if I open this the Edition is Run Engine.

However I did a search and I can see no trace of any file with RunEngine in the name.

Comment

In case I made a mistake when installing a5v9_full_DL.exe the download file I uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled it

If I now open alpha5.exe it still is the same as previous and not as expected.

In Help / About Alpha 5 the Edition is Run Engine.
                        The path is D:\Program Files\a5v9\a5v9

Can anyone please help I have asked support for assistance but have had no reponse.
                        Thanks
                        John

Comment

Have you tried installing to C:/Program Files just to see if the standard path works?

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts,

No I havent uploaded to the C: drive all of my non MS programs are loaded on D: and I cant see what differnce that loading to C: would make.
                            I will most likely do some more trials. Theres got to be an answer somewhere but this is very frustrating and a great waste of time.
                            Regards
                            John

Comment

I decided to have another go and do as suggested and accept the C: default installation. The desktop short cut now points to
                              "C:\Program Files\a5v9\alpha5.exe"
                              I uninstalled the application in D: and even downloaded a new exe file called a5v9_full_DL.exe which is 78,105 KB
                              Dont know what else I can do.
                              It seems the downloaded file a5v9_full_DL.exe is perhaps not the correct file.
                              Can anyone advise how I can get the Tech Support to work their magic?
                              Thanks
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X