Alpha Video Training

Thread: App Server Timout

Real Name
    Scott Segrin

Default App Server Timout

I'm running an A5W app on my home PC (13 users - used for a fantasy baseball league). For the first 3 weeks after going live everything ran fine. Now, in the last couple of days some users - myself included - are getting a "Network Timeout" error when trying to access the login page. Sometimes they can do a refresh or 'retry' and it works - other times not. Usually a reset of the app server clears the problem and it works for a while. One time however, I couldn't get in even right after a restart. It seems as though once a user is able to access the login page, they can navigate freely within the app without delays.

The access point is a link on our league homepage (hosted by a 3rd party hosting service) which links to no-ip.biz and then to my IP address. I realize that this probably isn't an Alpha problem per se and that running this off of my home PC is a house of cards, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips on how to start diagnosing the problem. I've got anassortment of other 'stuff' running - virus protection, backup (Carbonite), Windows Live Sync - but nothing new was added that may have caused this problem to start. All of my other web access things seem to be functioning fine. I've got current patches of both A5 and the App Server (as of last night) and the problem persists.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: App Server Timout

I think you are right that it is not an Alpha server issue. Even so, you might check the Logging tab on your server config and see if you are creating the RAW log. That can eat resources if it gets really big.

Also, there are many websites that 'test your web server' from various locations. Here is one I found: http://www.websitepulse.com/help/tools.php

Since you are on a virtual IP, your IP may have changed and (I have no idea if this is true or possible) you are now on a slower network path.

Make sure its not just your LOGIN page that is the problem. Ensure it has no fancy code that might cause a loop.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Scott Segrin

Default Re: App Server Timout

Just to close the loop on this, I seem to have solved my problem. On Saturday, my Internet connection was down. I reset my cable modem and router in the event that was the problem (it wasn't - the ISP was down). Resetting the router apparently blew away the port settings I had set when I set up the app server. I put them back the way they were supposed to be and everything seems fine. (Seems - for now anyway.)

I'm not sure why it was working intermittently since Saturday but I'll save that lesson for another day. There are some tech things that I already know more about than I wished I did.

Thanks for your thoughts and the tip on websitepulse, Steve. A handy tool to have in the box.