Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Display List Box Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display List Box Results

I set up a form with two buttons, each pulls up a separate list box according to the selection chosen. Is there a way that I can display these results on the same form in text format?

Re: Display List Box Results

Diana,
    I believe some more description/explanation is needed. At least by this sole.
    Mike W

Comment

I attached a better picture of the form I'm working on. When you click on the Dr Requests a listbox comes up with certain choices and when you click on the Hospital Requests a different listbox comes up. What I would like to do is have the results from the listbox populate a text box that shows at the bottom of the form. This may not even be possible....

Comment

Want to have text box show below the Comments box that displays the results from the list box.
        OK, place a text box below the Comment field. The default object name will be text1. Put this code after the list box step:

parentform:text1.text = your_list_box_variable

But I am still not quite clear on what you are trying to do. Do you want to just see the choice made by the user immediately after it is made and not be a permanent field value? Because the text box value will not be permanent. Another temporary way is to place that variable as a field on the form from the DragDrop list to display it's value. It will be a temporary value also, however.
        Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike, thank you so much for your help.

In your reply you said to "Put this code after the list box step:" So sorry, I don't know where that is, could you please explain? My expertise level is more towards the beginner level...but I'm trying like crazy to get to intermediate!

To answer your question "But I am still not quite clear on what you are trying to do. Do you want to just see the choice made by the user immediately after it is made and not be a permanent field value?" I think the answer is "yes" but let me ask you this, if it is not a permanent field value will those choices from the list box (there will be more than one) display if that patient record is called up at a later time?

Do you think I should go about this differently?

Comment

A text box object is part of the Form object, not part of the table record. In the text box properties, the value that is listed under Text in the Setup tab is what will display as the text box default in the text box until it is changed. The code I supplied makes that change. When the form is closed and reopened, that default text box property value will be the text displayed. It is not connected to any record.

I am sorry, but it still gets back to what you need, and what you are trying to do. With a more thorough explanation, then I can help more thoroughly. Right now, I'm just guessing. You have to help the folks on this board help you by giving enough details to develop a cogent understanding of what you are trying to achieve. When folks don't chimed in within a short time, it is often that the posting is undecipherable of contains insufficient detail to even start to develop an answer.
            Mike W

Comment

If you look at the document I attached in my second post, it shows a picture of the form I created. I had followed the directions in the help section of A5 to create buttons (Dr Request and Hospital Request) that use Action Scripting to display an Xdialog box. In that process I defined the Xdialog box as a Check Box-List Box dialog box that displays the choices that are shown in the second picture in the document that I attached (that one is only for Dr. Requests). When the user checks the appropriate selections, supposedly the user's selections are returned as a CR-LF delimited list in the variable created. For the Dr. Requests the variable is named "DrRequests".

What I am trying to do is have that delimited list (which ends up in the DrRequests variable) populate another box/form/browse (it doesn't matter) that is displayed on the same form but is permanent in that you can come back to this record and see those selections. Because there are so many choices I didn't want to have them all displaying all the time. Also, the choices the user selects are not retained in the Xdialog box so when I go back to that record they are not there.

Is this any more clear? What you had suggested before populated the text box but as you said, its only temporary and is lost once you leave the record.

Comment

Bravo Diana,
                Excellent! You have used the exact terminology needed for me understand the composition of the output variable content and that you wish this to be available "permanantly". This means it needs to be incorporated as part of the (a) record.

Now, the crlf() delimited list. The values in that list based upon the picture could have 3 items - Entire chart, Progress Notes, Lab Results. Are the values in this list going to be used in any manner individually or as a whole to generate some other action (computer action) or is this list simply a visual cue to the user?

If the list items are to be used for further action, then they should probably be 'stored' as independant record values, like in an additional field. The crlf list could be converted to a linear comma delimited string, using the function crlf_to_comma() and deposited as a field value. From this, that value could be a visual cue and/or a source for further processing.
                Mike W

Comment

LOL, bow taken! I apologize for my "unspecificity", its not my best trait.

Now, the crlf() delimited list. The values in that list based upon the picture could have 3 items - Entire chart, Progress Notes, Lab Results. Are the values in this list going to be used in any manner individually or as a whole to generate some other action (computer action) or is this list simply a visual cue to the user?

Simply a visual cue to the user but it would be something that should be available to add to a report. I'm assuming this would be done in the same fashion any report is designed, and that's by adding the field to the report.

The crlf list could be converted to a linear comma delimited string, using the function crlf_to_comma() and deposited as a field value. From this, that value could be a visual cue and/or a source for further processing.

I follow what you're suggesting, just have no clue how to accomplish it. I checked the help file but its very lacking.

Is there a sample somewhere? I looked at the Alphasports sample without any luck. I attached a zip of my project, if you wish to look at it. Its the Med_Records form that I'm fighting with. If you open it and click on Dr. Requests you'll see exactly what its doing.

Med_Records is the parent form. DrRequests the variable output. The result variable is varC_result. I really appreciate your time and any direction you can give me.
                  Last edited by kyosadls; 05-08-2009, 11:13 AM. Reason: Update zip file

Comment

Diana,
                    Thank you for the example. It actually generated the understanding there is a BUG in the output variable for the Check Box-List Box. Your s included advanced formating. All the advanced formating code was becoming integrated in the output variable for the dialog user choices. You did not see this or realize this, but it came to light whaen I began playing with it. I reported it.

I am bushed and I will get back to you in the morning.
                    Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike, I did notice that, and thought I mentioned it, but figured that was the least of my frustrations as it could be addressed with another snippet of code. I'll play with that, take out the advanced formatting perhaps, although the client is particularly fond of larger fonts and the color blue (in case you hadn't noticed).

Comment

I tried a couple ways to take out the formatting, one via the font settings of the text box itself, but I think it goes back to the stylesheet because it still shows the code (such as {B=}) even if there isn't any advanced formatting.

I was trying to play with the format_data() code, just not sure where to insert it.

Comment

This seems to work
                          Code:
                          DrRequests = *for_each(ln,word(ln,-1,"}"),DrRequests)
                          Tim Kiebert
                          Eagle Creek Citrus
                          A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Hi Tim, thanks for hopping in. Where are you adding that code? I put it after Med_Records:text1.text and I get

Med_Records:text1.text = DrRequests not found
                            Med_Records:text1 not found

(Med_Records is the form, Text1 is the name of the text box) Should I define a separate text box?

Comment

Diana,
                              Here is your example back to you. I have the database properties to open the medrecords form for convenience of this example. To the medrecord table I added a field Requests,C,255. To the Medrecords Form I added this field. I added two Inline xbasic action scripts to your Dr. Request button. The first simply dims the dialog variable to be empty. The second includes Tim's clean-up removing the checkbox format garbage within the output variable, and writing the variable value to the requests field. Now you have the request in a field available for permanent use.

I didn't know which form you were actually using, so I also wrote into the xbasic in the button on the Med_Records Form and added the Request field to that Form so that button would work.

Hope that helps.
                              Last edited by Mike Wilson; 05-09-2009, 01:50 PM.
                              Mike W

Comment

Working...
                              X