Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Database beginner needs design help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database beginner needs design help

I am trying to build a rather robust system, and from what I'm seeing planning the database is basically the most important part - like the foundation of a house. Now, I know nothing about databases or how they work, so I'm learning as I go.

I've started outlining the database and I'm running into a couple questions.
    #1 - Am I simply making too many tables?
    #2 - I cannot grasp the difference between one-to-one and one-to-many links

I haven't created the tables yet, I'm outlining them as directed in IBS's Alpha Five Version 8 Level 1 Learning Guide (I'm using v8 currently).

So here are the tables currently on my list:
    Customer
    Orders
    Order Detail
    Vendors
    Products
    Sales Reps
    Employees
    Departments
    Payment_Method
    Delivery_Method
    Account_Status - I have several standard "status" for my customers - Account, COD, etc. was planning on putting the options here

Price_Level - I have 4 different price levels based on customers. planning on putting each level here, allowing us to select level from drop down

Authorized_Purchasers
    Purchase_Orders

Another question: We accept cash, check and credit cards. I can't decide if I should have a table for each type of payment, or if I need a blanket table that can cover all options or what.

As you can see, I need help - if anyone has any resources they can direct me to it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Database beginner needs design help

Jeremy,
    What you are describing is an extension of the AlphaSport database. That database is a learning tool and would be a very good start for your application.
    Mike W

Comment

Check out this book also:

Database Design for Mere Mortals(R): A Hands-On Guide to Relational Database Design by Michael J. Hernandez

It is a non-program specific approach to designing dbs before you ever create a table.

I keep it right on my desk ( ok behind me in the book case.)

I give it a 4.5 of 5

Comment

Hey Mike,
        I actually have been checking out the Alpha Sports app - it's helped a bit, but there's lots of stuff I can't find (for instance handling payments - the info I find is very sparse).

Scott: Thanks for the reference, I will check that out!

Comment

Another note: many of the tables are the same name as the Alpha Sports database - that's because the Learning Guide I am going through uses Alpha Sports as a training tool, and I just copied the majority of what made sense.

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the book Scott recommended (would you believe under $10 after shipping on Amazon?). I guess I'll see where that takes me.

Thanks!

Comment

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've misplaced the disk that came with it that you can print the design forms. :-(

Would be interested in knowing what you think after you give it a read.

-S

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Axton View Post
                I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've misplaced the disk that came with it that you can print the design forms. :-(

-S

Does anyone have that disk, I cannot find my copy and would welcome access to those forms?
                Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Axton View Post

-S
                  Very good stuff. To an extent I had done some of the stuff, but I have a much better idea of what to do now. I can't imagine what would have happened if I'd seen this project thru to completion without reading that.
                  I have coded a few basic applications in VB.NET, but aside from that I'm pretty new to this stuff, especially on the database side.
                  As for the forms - he has blanks in the back of the book that you can copy and re-print out for yourself (mine didn't come with a disk).

Comment

Jeremy

For me the book was both enlightening and terrifying!

Enlightening as it rationalised a lot that I knew and much that I did not!

Terrifying as I soon realised how BIG some of the mistakes I had made in prior work:-)

Regards

Glen
                    Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

I agree with Glen - It is amazing how you try and cram all of the data in to one big file until you learn the "way it should be" and why.

PS I sent you a PM if you want the disk.

-S

Comment

Thanks for the files Scott - I think maybe I got the first edition of the book, the appendix is a lot different.

Ok now a database design question:

Here is my table list now:
                        Suppliers
                        Customers
                        Employees
                        Products
                        Quotes
                        Orders
                        Order Details
                        Machines
                        Materials
                        Shipments
                        Purchase Orders
                        RFQs
                        Hours Worked
                        Deliveries
                        Days Off

I'm starting to get confused - there is an Orders table, and an Order Details table. So I fell like I should have a Machine Details table, Product Details, Purchase Order Details tables as well. Help please?

Also, as far as the Deliveries and Days off - I want those to be calendars - days off would be company-wide so we can all see who is off at any time, deliveries also viewable by anyone, but separate from the days off calendar. Do I actually need a table for those? I'm thinking so, but not really sure.
                        Last edited by jweasl; 06-04-2009, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jweasl View Post
                          I'm starting to get confused - there is an Orders table, and an Order Details table. So I fell like I should have a Machine Details table, Product Details, Purchase Order Details tables as well. Help please?
                          Think of it this way: only group (i.e. tables) by similar items. What, if anything, differentiates the Orders table from the Order Details table? If the detail is multiple discrete items belonging to each order, then it makes sense for that to be a separate table. But if each order has only one related detail item, it probably makes sense to combine them into one table. Ditto for the others.

Also, as far as the Deliveries and Days off - I want those to be calendars - days off would be company-wide so we can all see who is off at any time, deliveries also viewable by anyone, but separate from the days off calendar. Do I actually need a table for those? I'm thinking so, but not really sure.
                          How would you itemize days off or deliveries, if not in a table? Sounds like you need two tables for this.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I'm thinking Hours Worked and Days Off are the same concept of staff scheduling and combined in one table. Also, if details involves a memo field, the practice of having this in a separate table is advised.
                            Mike W

Comment

Thanks Peter - that makes sense. The database concept still isn't fully formed in my mind - I've been using Excel for far too long and have to rid my mind of old notions.

Mike,
                              I'll combine those and see how that goes.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X