Alpha Video Training

Thread: Designing for a Multi-user Application

Real Name
    Scott Axton

Default Designing for a Multi-user Application

Hi there -

The current project I'm working on was designed from the ground up as a stand alone application. Now the folks I'm doing this for have decided they want to have at least 3 computers now and more in the future.

I have the unlimited run engine so that part isn't an issue. I've been reading up on the physical tying together of the machines and db.

Also, I searched for Multi-user and Multiuser threads. A lot if interesting reading but didn't satisfy my needs. So the question is:

Is there any documentation on how to design an application for multi-user capabilities some one can point me to?

Baring that would any of you Pros be willing to guide me in what, if anything, I should take in to consideration as far as table design, script handling, error checking, etc.?

In other words I guess I'm kind of looking for a do's and don'ts for multi-user applications.

Thanks!

Scott

Edit...

Forgot to mention that this is currently a desktop app but they are talking adding web capabilities in later. From my reading it seems as though the two are almost mutually exclusive. Is it possible to design one db to use for both?
    Last edited by Scott Axton; 05-14-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: Designing for a Multi-user Application

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Axton View Post
    Is there any documentation on how to design an application for multi-user capabilities some one can point me to?
    Check out:
    http://www.learnalpha.com/
    There might be articles there addressing some of that.

Forgot to mention that this is currently a desktop app but they are talking adding web capabilities in later. From my reading it seems as though the two are almost mutually exclusive. Is it possible to design one db to use for both?
    I believe it is possible. Some people have alluded to that. Basically both apps share the same tables & sets (sets are mostly for reports on the web side), but everything else is, more or less, separate. Of course, this means twice as much work since you need to build both parts.

Real Name
    Scott Axton

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    Check out:
    http://www.learnalpha.com/
    There might be articles there addressing some of that.
    Great site - I have it book marked in my favorites. I didn't however think to look there on this question.

Last time I visited there wasn't much in the way of new materials. I think the Dr. isn't quite as active as he once was with Alpha. I do see comments from time to time though. I really respect his work - would like to see more from him.
    Last edited by Scott Axton; 05-15-2009 at 09:52 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Have you purchased his Xbasic for Everyone book? It will keep you busy for a while, and is worth every penny. -- tom

Real Name
    Scott Axton

Hi Tom -

Yes I have. I'm about half way through it right now. This seems to be one of those books that will live on the desk not in the bookshelf.

So much to learn!