Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Report issues - duplication of one record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report issues - duplication of one record

I currently have a report within Alpha Platinum V9 which is duplicating records. To be more precise, up until now this report was displaying approximately 30 distinct records which are based upon a view that originates from within SQL Server, but now whilst still showing the correct number of records, it is showing the same record (first record) 30 times? I have checked the view in SQL Server and it is running correctly, I've refreshed the links to all my tables from within A5 and I've also compacted the dbase but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas where the problem could be? At first it seemed like a simple linking issue, but it doesnt explain why the one record is duplicated many times.

Many thanks for any assistance offered

Jason

Re: Report issues - duplication of one record

Hi Jason,

First thing to check is the report is correct and the record has been duplicated in the table. Next thing, does this record have child records, this will cause the parent to duplicate in the detail section.

That's my 2 pence worth.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Keith

Your name is all over this message board, you seem very knowledgeable! Thanks for the reply, at the moment the active linked table and the report are both showing the same record duplicating 34 times (which also happens to be the total number of unique records in the source table). Funny thing is the report was working really well for the last month, only thing that has changed to the SQL server dbase recently was the adding of constraints to enhance data integrity.

The record does have child records, but because I have bought the records through as part of a view instead of building a set inside A5, it is running off the links already established inside SQL server

I had this exact same problem with another view this morning, but I got lucky after refreshing the active link tables and stopping/restarting the application server.

Cheers

Jason

Comment

I know it won't solve the base problem but couldn't you put a filter in the detail properties that would specify unique records only? I don't know how to write the filter.

Comment

Hi Robert

thanks for the suggestion, but a filter wont work because my active linked table is only showing the one record duplicated many times. If the source table for the report was showing the duplicate record AND the remaining records a filter could be a short term fix.

Its just bizarre, as I said previously active linking on SQL views has worked well up until now. I hope I can sort this because I need Alpha to be reliable

Cheers

Jason

Comment

I can be a little dense at times, and minimal knowledge of SQL but in reply to Keith, you said-

Thanks for the reply, at the moment the active linked table and the report are both showing the same record duplicating 34 times (which also happens to be the total number of unique records in the source table).

In reply to me, you said-
            thanks for the suggestion, but a filter wont work because my active linked table is only showing the one record duplicated many times. If the source table for the report was showing the duplicate record AND the remaining records a filter could be a short term fix.

The active linked table and the report are both showing duplicate records but the source table for the report is not showing the duplicate records. Which table is used for the report? If the source table doesn't have the problem, then it seems that the problem lies with the active linked table that the "view" is based on and it's not a report problem.

Comment

Hi Robert

The source table I was referring to is the SQL server view. It is showing all records correctly, but for whatever reason, the active link table connected to that view is showing the one unique record 34 times???

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Hi Jason,

The source table I was referring to is the SQL server view. It is showing all records correctly, but for whatever reason, the active link table connected to that view is showing the one unique record 34 times???
                Which means the report is correct and the problem is the link table.
                only thing that has changed to the SQL server dbase recently was the adding of constraints
                What were the constraints, were they for data entry or viewing? What would happen to the linked table if you removed the constraints?

You say that the link table is connected to a view, I assume that means at least two SQL tables one Parent and a Child. Have you tried to link to each table separately, view the data in Alpha and then build the set with the linked tables? Having done that, build the report on your new set and your report will give you the data that is there.
                Last edited by Keith Hubert; 05-21-2009, 01:36 AM.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Keith

I dont think the constraints are the issue. This view is only being used for viewing (no data entry). The SQL view is made up of 5 tables, I did initially build a set combining this 5 tables but found that it was slow to load. I just compared the linked SQL view against the set containing the 5 tables, the SQL view takes 2 seconds to load as a default browse, whereas the set takes 15 seconds!

Thanks again for your reply

Jason

Comment

Hi Jason

Did you ever resolve this issue?? I seem to be having a similar issue with V11 and I'm trying to find a solution.
                    The active linked table (using ODBC) worked fine for a while but started playing up by either showing one record the correct amount of times for the number of records I was expecting, or the correct number of records with no data at all!

Regards

Comment

Hi Keith

Pleased to make your aquintance.

Your question seems to simulate what i'm experiencing.

The parent table has unique records, but creating a report with a child table linked to it, causes the parent record to display [duplicate] with each child record linking to it.

ie.
                      Parent table has a field ID number
                      Child table has a linked field which is the parent ID Number. [Each parent record can have multiple child records]

Printing the report duplicates the parent id number for each matching child record instead of displaying one parent ID number and all child linked records [to the ID number]

Does the above make sense?

If it does, please assist in clearing the "forest" view in front of me. One parent = multiple child report

Comment

Printing the report duplicates the parent id number for each matching child record instead of displaying one parent ID number and all child linked records [to the ID number]

Does the above make sense?
                        Yes, that's exactly the way Alpha handles a set. Examine the default browse for the set and you'll see the same.

You need to create a group on the parent level linking field, place parent fields in the group header, and child fields in the detail section.

Designing Reports for Sets with one to many links
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Sir,

What a wonderfully easy solution.

Thanks for your quick response and assistance. You are a star sir.

Comment

Working...
                          X