Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Turn off Display of all Toolbars and Menus from distributed Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turn off Display of all Toolbars and Menus from distributed Application

Originally posted by ChrisHawkes View Post
    .... One suggestion if I may, could you reduce the width for those who are still working on standard screen sizes (IOW not widescreen).
    And those of us who have returned our widescreens monitors because we hate them! Yeah, I know, soon there won't be any "standard screen sizes" but until then!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisHawkes View Post
      Cal
      As usual you've come up with an ideal solution. One suggestion if I may, could you reduce the width for those who are still working on standard screen sizes (IOW not widescreen).
      That was one of my concerns. How much should I reduce it? I thought it was just enough to fit a 1024x768 screen but I see it's a bit larger. Would it be acceptable if it fits a 1024 screen size?

If it has to be any smaller, I'd probably have to create a tabbed dialog with the form selection on one tab and the menu/toolbar selection on the second tab. That's not a big deal - I just like to see it all on one screen if possible.

Also, does anybody here use custom menus or toolbars that are NOT stored in the main .adb file's library? In other words, do you use, for example, a "std_code.alb" library that is included with your app to store the custom menu/toolbars? This is part of the reason for the width - I included the full path to the forms and menu/toolbars rather than assuming they would always be part of the main app and in the same folder as the .adb file. It could be quite a bit narrower if we didn't have to be concerned with the full path.

Later:

I thought about it a bit and decided to change it so it would fit on a smaller screen but I'm still working on some details regarding duplicate form names and forms not in the .adb folder.
      Last edited by CALocklin; 05-25-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

1024x768 would work for me--though I should not really count since I do not think I'll ever have any use for the utility (but one never knows!).

Ray Lyons

Comment

Cal

I think if you reduce the indent on the menu/toolbar selection by 3 characters and reduce the width of the buttons by 1 character each it would fit on the screen as is. Personally, I would rather have just the form name displayed in the list, but that's just me.

1024 x 768 is probably still the most used resolution, although I still have 1 app out there that it 640 x 480 (yuck!).
          If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

I ran out of time to edit the last post.

I decided to change it so it would change widths based on the need. It should now fit on an 800x600 screen if there are no duplicated form names. Otherwise it should fit a 1024x768 screen. (The display has to be wider when there are duplicate form names because you need to be able to see the table/set it is attached to. Even that may be difficult if you have really long paths. Of course, duplicate form names is usually a sign of something that needs to be fixed anyway.)

I also DIMed all the variables so it shouldn't interfere with anything else you are doing.

Just use the same link above to reinstall it.

Just FWIW: This "simple" addin probably took me 2 hours initially, another 1/2 hour to set up the install routine, and another 2-1/2 hours to finesse. Not complaining - I enjoy the challenge. I'm just pointing it out for anyone who thinks these things are easy - after all, the basic routine above was really simple. The basic concept may be easy but putting it all together so anybody can use it often takes far longer than setting up the basic routine. The final function is about 280 lines and includes checks for (1) no forms in the app, (2) duplicate form names, (3) open forms, and (4) users who click the OK button without (a) selecting a form or (b) selecting a menu/toolbar or (c) without naming one of the selected menu/toolbars.

Chris - As you can see now, I agree about the form names. That was part of what I was looking at when I said above that I was "working on some details". I had to figure out just when the full path was needed. It turns out it's only needed for duplicate names. Even if the form is part of a table in a different folder, it still works with just the name as long as it's not a duplicate name. This is another example of why it takes so long. Plus, as part of the "are any forms still open" check, I had to remove any paths from the a5.Form_Enum(2) listing because a5_list_open_windows() never includes the path. In the past I've tried to do this with a simple check for "is the form name included in the a5_list_open_windows() list" but that can be an issue when a form name ends up being "embedded" in one of the other window names - BTDT. So, my routine has to look for an exact match to a complete line.
            Last edited by CALocklin; 05-25-2009, 06:33 PM. Reason: Can't spell.

Comment

Cal

The screen looks great now.

Using my version of Alpha v8, there is a problem running your function. I don't know how much you tested it, but some of the form settings are changed that shouldn't be- the same problem my original script above had. If you take a look at my revised script above you will see what I mean. Of course, the problem may not exist for anyone else.

Comment

Where have I seen the phase, "If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!""

I totally missed your previous message and hadn't noticed the issue. I'll incorporate your changes and do more testing. Now, I'm concerned about what might else might go wrong if some of the menus/toolbars are not changed.

Later: This is a mess!! There are a lot of other settings that get changed as well. I'm working on it.
                Last edited by CALocklin; 05-25-2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Later still:

OK, it should work now but I discovered some really weird stuff.

Here's what I found was changing on each tab of the Properties dialog. Chris, you may want to go back and check your forms to see if any of these other things have changed:

Page - all items
                  Backdrop - Fill Style (colors/bitmap OK)
                  Form - all items
                  Printer -all items
                  Window - all except Caption
                  Data Entry - OK
                  Help Entry - OK
                  Filter/Order - OK

The really odd thing was that it doesn't seem necessary to reset anything! All that's necessary is to read one of the values into a variable. I tried this with 3 of the variables - one at a time - and it worked with all three. For example, just run this line:
                  vForm_Width = ptr.form_width
                  and comment out all the other lines that read or set those values and everything seems to be OK. Now that's just plain weird!

The update has been posted. (This is the same link as above - just added here for convenience.)

Comment

Cal,
                    The basic concept may be easy but putting it all together so anybody can use it often takes far longer than setting up the basic routine.
                    A statement like this becomes so very apparent to anyone who has tried to truly make something generic and bulletproof from something that on the surface is relatively easy. Wasn't that long ago I created a script--the PDF multi one.....asked to add to the Code archive and I did....it took well over twice as long to make it into a TRUE function (one that can exist as a stand-alone with relevant arguments with error traps). What you are doing is even more time intensive obviously. I, for one, really do appreciate it. Thanks.
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
                      Later still:

Here's what I found was changing on each tab of the Properties dialog. Chris, you may want to go back and check your forms to see if any of these other things have changed:

Page - all items
                      Form - all items
                      Printer -all items
                      Data Entry - OK
                      Help Entry - OK
                      Filter/Order - OK

The really odd thing was that it doesn't seem necessary to reset anything! All that's necessary is to read one of the values into a variable. I tried this with 3 of the variables - one at a time - and it worked with all three. For example, just run this line:
                      and comment out all the other lines that read or set those values and everything seems to be OK. Now that's just plain weird!

The update has been posted. (This is the same link as above - just added here for convenience.)

Comment

Later still:

Page - all items
                        Form - all items
                        Printer -all items
                        Data Entry - OK
                        Help Entry - OK
                        Filter/Order - OK

Comment

Later still:

Page - all items
                          Form - all items
                          Printer -all items
                          Data Entry - OK
                          Help Entry - OK
                          Filter/Order - OK

Comment

Cal,

I too appreicate this effort you put forth on this routine. If I were you I would submit this routine to Alpha for inclusion consideration in the next upgrade. I would also submit similar routines for the Reports and Labels sections.

I also strongly agree that in order to present to a user with a simple solution, the underlying code can become very complex.

Again, thanks you for your effort on this issue,

Rudy

Comment

I agree, very weird. Tried with my quick version, and it works OK.

This "simple" addin probably took me 2 hours initially, another 1/2 hour to set up the install routine, and another 2-1/2 hours to finesse. Not complaining - I enjoy the challenge. I'm just pointing it out for anyone who thinks these things are easy - after all, the basic routine above was really simple. The basic concept may be easy but putting it all together so anybody can use it often takes far longer than setting up the basic routine.
                              ..... and it probably took another hour or two to fine tune and test after I mentioned the problem I had with it.

I really do hope that people appreciate what you and others on this board contribute to the Alpha community, I know I do.

Comment

Although this is an old post; I wonder if Cal's utility is available to work with v10 .. or if it has been implemented as a standard utility in v10?

Comment

Working...
                                X